Format: Audio CDChange

on 25 August 2002
Quite simply Andrea Bocellie's Sacres Arias is a stunning piece of work. Andrea has a beautiful voice. He moves me. Anybody who loves this sort of music will become totally entranced with this. I am often moved to tears when i play Andrea's voice. I would highly recemmend this cd.
0Comment22 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 May 2006
I have just listened to the concert, on ITV3, from which this recording was taken. I was almost moved to tears; the empathy that Andrea brings to pieces with which I was brought up, both musically and spiritually, was a joy.
My only regret is that they have, in order to market a 'Bocelli' CD, missed off the choral works that did not include him. They, too, were magnificent and if the whole concert becomes available on DVD I will certainly buy that also.

UPDATE:- And they have, and I did AND it includes the choral works missing from the CD.
55 comments12 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2007
A CD that has so much beauty it moves you from beginning to end. His voice portrays so much emotion that you don't just appreciate the sound, you feel every note that he sings.

There are some CDs that are simply labelled "mood music", and this for me is one that I file under such a category. Every time I listen it lifts me and transports me to places only I can go to. Somewhere that escapes the modern world.

The choice of arias is perfect. Many of which I was unfamiliar with. However, I have since introduced this CD to a number of people, many who listen to an entirely different genre of music; nearly all have been captivated by it.

All I can say is buy it and soak up the rich fare on offer.
on 18 October 2010
Once we had bought 'Romanza' we had to buy Sacred Arias, and frankly we were not disappointed.

It brings back fond memories of sipping a glass of wine outside a cafe in the village square in Duras, SW France, wafted by the warm wind, in love with the mellow local wine and enchanted by the recording.

Back home in the UK, the atmosphere is different, the wine which we liberated, is as good as ever, the breeze is many degrees colder, but the music is still as wonderful as it ever was.

This is a wonderful CD, an escape from reality and budget cuts. A good purchase loved by all the family.
on 17 April 2012
They say that nature compensates and she certainly has with Andrea Bocelli who was born with poor eyesight and then, at the age of twelve, lost his sight completely after an accident whilst playing football. However, Mother Nature has certainly compensated him, gifting him with a fantastic voice which has enabled him to sell millions of CDs. If you enjoy listening to a good Tenor, then just buy this CD, you will love it.
on 1 February 2009
having ordered this in plenty of time for Christmas, it arrived only days later and the quality of both the recording and the service was second to none. keep up the supreme work Amazon. Thanks
on 15 August 2000
After "Romanza" I was not quite so keen on "Opera Arias", I dont think that the recording quite captured the fine voice of Andrea Bocelli, however I am not put off, and will go on to look for more CD's with more of his songs.
on 16 February 2000
All sixteen tracks have inordinate beauty. The sacred arias wash over me in a musical flood.
I am absorbed.
The second Ave Maria is my favourite. As the blurb has it, Gounod adds a vocal line of indelible beauty over Bach's prelude.
"Sancta Maria, ora pro nobis peccatoribus - Holy Mary, pray for us sinners". Andrea Bocelli holds the sweet notes aloft like coloured ping-pong balls on columns of air, the voice savoured in the mouth, longer it seems than the composer intended.
He plays with these sounds, turning them, searching for the precise tone, the exact interpretation, teasing me. His timing is exquisite, his delivery adept in its empathy with his listeners. I'm servile, my being bequeathed to him.
At last the phrase is unleashed, spilling like a torrent of water. We are surfing, this singer and I, on a tidal wave of emotion: "Nunc et in hora mortis nostrae - now and in the hour of my death". But not until we reach the Amen, can I subside, drained, the tear unbidden.
Buy it! You won't be disappointed.
0Comment26 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 July 2013
Bocelli is well known for his complete blindness -and an outstanding tenor. He once dedicated a song to a young lady, who had been advised to procure abortion. She never meant to exchange maternity for a crime. The young lady -Bocelli tells us, was his mother. Our conclusion perhaps may be that Western materialist civilization is decaying, and may loose many of its brilliant heroes -necessary women and men always in need- because of lust.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2013
I do love Andrea Bocelli's voice and found it very difficult to choose between all his different cds that are available to buy. This is the first of his I've bought and I do enjoy listening to it very much. Unfortunately the cd holder was broken when it arrived in the post
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse