on 21 August 1999
Even if you are not interested in the Celtic World the symbolism that the text provokes belongs more to the soul than to a culture or race of people. To be inspired, to question yourself as a person and the way of your life - this is a must, a great guide. It is not a script which demands that you follow a certain pathway, spiritually or otherwise, it invokes conscious thought and allows you to view life as it could be not as it is. It does not pressure as some religions do, it does not demand as society does, it gives you that space and depth to breathe in your own time and at your own speed.
0Comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 May 2008
This is a book that leaves you feeling so uplifted. It makes you want to do something more in life.It is so beautifully written, and O'Donohue has some of his own poems in there. One is called the Blessing of Presence it's just lovely to read. One passage will stay with me, it goes as follows."If you have everything the world has to offer you, but you do not have love, then you are the poorest of the poorest of the poor.How true. This is a remarkable book. It was so sad to learn of O'Donohue's sudden death in jan of this year aged 52, he died in his sleep.
on 8 January 1999
I bought this book about 6 months or so ago and now I have bought "Eternal Echoes". I found it hard to get into at first but when I did, I was very impressed. There are little Irish blessings and a couple of uplifting poems. The rest of the book is about looking within yourself and finding the peace and serenity that you and others hold. There is one particular part of the book that I always come back to. John describes that the most critical eye is yourself and your soul friend(anam cara translated from old irish)being the person that can get to see you for the person that you truly are, even if you don't see it. He describes it as you trying to look at yourself completely. If you look behind you, you still can't see the back of your neck or when you see the front of yourself, you can't see the back of you. No matter how much you try, there is no way possible fo you to be able to see yourself completely. That is what your Anam Cara is for. Your Anam Cara is your mirror. They can see you completely. Not just from the outside but inside as well. He is amazing the way he describes things and puts things into perspective. Put it this way, I really liked this book and have no hesitations in recommending it to you. It makes a great gift for someone!!!!
on 27 June 2001
Having spent most of my life feeling 'out of step' with everyone else - this book put into words so much that I instinctively thought/knew and brought me 'home'.
on 2 March 2001
A BEAUTIFUL BOOK
Anam Cara. Such beautiful words. Irish Poet and Scholar John O'Donohue paints a picture with his words that will rank amongst the world's masterpieces. A song to enchant the heart of every reader.
Anam Cara meaning soul friend trickes warmth and wisdom from every paragraph. Within its pages we learn who we are and what we can become with a little devotion to ourselves. It shows how through recognising the divinity within ourselves we learn to recognise the same spark in every person. John's lyrical footsteps dance from every page, you will want to read and reread sentence after sentence absorbing the magic that pervades every well crafted word.
John considers that our bodies inhabit our souls, that our souls meet before our bodies do. It is difficult to argue with this point. It makes so much sense.
We humans are unique, every one of us is unique. The author is in awe of our species and through his insight he inspires his audience, the readers to join him on a journey of rediscovery where we can reconnect with the true holiness of the human spirit.
This book is very special and I recommend it with all my heart.
on 22 October 1999
the beauty of this book for me is in savouring each word, each turn of phrase. o'donoghue reflects life and spirit and all that these words mean with tender and deeply refreshing use of language. treat yourself to a few days per day!
on 27 November 2010
You will never grow tired of listening to this CD collection. I feel that I am listening to a friend everytime I play this CD. It has so much of wisdom and it is about everyday life. It has helped me enormously too.

There was a problem with the CD itself and it was sorted out very amicably with the necessary parties and I pleased with the outcome. So it is a great product to have and is warmly recommended.
on 19 February 2011
A very interesting and unusual book with a sound basis of general philosophy as well as its stated focus on the Celtic world. Am enjoying a first read but will need to re-read in small sections also. Helps you to question present life style. All the more poignant because of the sudden recent death of the author.
on 5 January 2012
This book is not an explanation about Celtic wisdom. It is the author's own expression of Celtic wisdom -- about friendship and love, our bodies and souls, inner growth, aging, and death. O'Donohue rambles through these subjects with a propensity for poetic flight. He addresses you directly, in a voice so tender it made me uncomfortable. He sounds roughly like a cross between Celtic bard and Jungian psychotherapist.

Is this wisdom particularly Celtic? The illustrative quotes and poems come from almost anywhere -- Aristotle, Cicero, Pablo Neruda, Kahlil Gibran, Meister Eckhart, Yeats, Irish poets such Yeats or Brian Merriman. Maybe multi-culturalism is a time-honored Celtic tradition. But woven through the background are themes of Irish folklore, with pagan and Catholic heritage assumed to be one. O'Donohue makes no contrast between the old Celtic church and Roman Catholic orthodoxy. There's no church history, or any history. He just addresses the reader's life, drawing on whatever seems good and beautiful from every corner of his Ireland-based world community.
on 9 January 2013
This is such a beautiful book. It's words bless the eyes in such a way that you're left feeling like you've been feeding your soul. Perfect for captivating your heart and perfect as a gift for loved ones ~ I've bought copies of this book for friends and family over the years.