Format: Paperback|Change

We've only recently discovered the DK Readers Star Wars books, but what a find they've been! I have two little boys at differing stages of learning to read, but both huge Star Wars fans, and these books have really fired them up and actually make them want to read.

This book, Anakin In Action, is a Level 2 book which is described as "Beginning to read alone". According to the book this means that it has: Longer sentences and increased vocabulary; Information boxes full of extra fun facts; a simple index.

Rather than the Star Wars films, this book is taken from the Star Wars The Clone Wars cartoons. If your child is a fan of these cartoons then they should love this book! This particular book provides information on some of the main characters in The Clone Wars, and then goes on to tell the story of Anakin's daring mission to rescue Rotta. There are lots of lovely pictures in the book that illustrate the story very well, and may well have children reaching for the book just to have a browse through.

Of course, because of the nature of Star Wars, there are some tricky words in the book - particularly names. However, now that we've worked through the book together a few times, I find that my kids are not fazed by these names...in fact they probably pronounce them a lot better than I do! The author of this book has done a great job in keeping the text relatively simple, but still providing a satisfying and exciting read. We've found this book to be quite a bit harder than the other Level 2 book "Star Wars - Journey Through Space" that we have, but I think that that's mainly because this has quite a bit more text in it. An example sentence from this book, (to give you an idea of the reading level required), is: "Anakin has almost reached the top of the castle wall when battle droids on flying machines start to attack." My boys love this book because they say that it is a "real" book, as opposed to the ones that they bring home from school. Regardless, any book that has them picking it up out of choice and wanting to read it gets my vote!

If you have a little Star Wars The Clone Wars fan then this book is highly recommended!
on 8 January 2014
Bought this for my 5 year old nephew and he loves it and reads it aa lot with his mum and dad. Lovely pictures.