Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 November 2002
The book claims to be "the first ever comprehensive study and behind-the-scenes look at [Smith's] work". This much is true. The book contains with many people involved with the making of Smith's films - both cast and crew.
Including detailed chapters which study the making process of Smith's first five films - Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back - commonly known as the 'New Jersey Chronicles'. Muir mixes interviews with cast/crew, extracts from contemporary articles, and his own intelligent commentary to help view Smith's films in a more 'academic' light.
Each chapter also features a section based on the films meanings, and how far Smith's ability as an auteur has evolved over the course of his career.
I found this book really interesting, and it certainly provided some new ideas and insights into Smith's films for me. I considered myself fairly knowledgeable on Kevin Smith before I started this book, but I must admit there was quite a lot I learned from Muir's interviews with various cast and crew members.
If you are a Kevin Smith fan, then this book is essential. For those new to the 'View Askewniverse', it is well worth checking out - it may eliminate any pre-conceptions you have about Smith's 'low-brow' or 'offensive' humour.
A great read - thumbs way up.
on 6 December 2002
I would say to anyone who is a fan of kevin smith then buy this, if not then dont, its a little too invlved and people who are not huge fans may find it boring but to enthusiasts it has tonnes of cast, crew interviews along with muirs witty commentry, i leraned loads from it and its re affirmed my view of the great jersey trilogy (which is actually five movies) that they are some of the funniest, witty and intelligent movies of our times. having been an askew fan since the release of clerks in the early 90s and thought i knew everything i learned lots of things that fans would like to know, athiests will love it, so will lesbians, shop clerks, stoners, angels, god, comic book makers (i am NOT A TRACER)(inside joke) just buy it
on 15 April 2006
An essential guide to all of the films by a certain Mr Smith and some of his friends/compatriots(up until Jersey Girl.)
So if you are a big fan like me it is a must-buy with hopefully an updated edition sometime in the future which will include Clerks 2 - really looking forward to that with the return of Dante, Randal and some characters called Jay and Silent Bob (no I have no idea either!)
on 7 November 2004
Although essential reading for the kevin smith fan, i was a bit annoyed by the obvious worshipping of kevin smith by the author..
Nevertheless..if you're into Kevin smith (And the Movie business, for that matter)
Buy!