Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 February 1999
This 1978 book from the late, great William Everson is , in my opinion, one of the five best books ever written on the subject.Any serious scholar of silent film should have a copy. Highly recommended!
on 26 July 2011
This book is brilliantly researched and insightfully argued, however I felt that at times the narrative lacked spark. I found myself page-counting during those parts which simply recounted a history of "then X, then Y, then Z", however the passages where Everson gets arguing are really good - especially the argument for Birth of a Nation not being racist (especially through the use of 'blacked-up' white actors). I would recommend it to those with a real interest in silent film, but not those simply looking for a introduction.