TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 February 2007
"The American Heritage Book Of The Revolution" provides the reader with a concise overview of a movement which has changed the world. It lays the backgrounds of the world beyond America and a developing nation moving toward separation and political maturity. After familiarizing the reader with the environment in which the Revolution arose, it leads us through it step by step.

This book focuses primarily on the military aspects of the war without neglecting the high points of the political currents which drove it. It is well written and moves along without becoming bogged down in detail.

I read this in the hopes of gaining an understanding of the Revolution in preparation for a class, which I will be teaching, on George Washington. It fulfilled my expectations. This book helps me to see the Revolution as a whole and place its events and characters in their proper contexts. I recommend it for one who wants to get a general understanding of this epic event. From it the reader can proceed to studies which focus on specific elements of the war. One test I apply to a book is whether it whets my appetite to learn more about the subject. This one passes that test.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse