Colour Name: BlackSize: MediumChange

VINE VOICEon 21 September 2014
Colour Name: WhiteSize: MediumVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm actually quite impressed with this device.

We've now got two Bluetooth speaker devices here, the first being a meaty TDK version TDK V513 Wireless Sound Cube Speaker with Remote - Black and now this Amazon Basics soundbar device. Both do very different jobs.

The TDK is a hefty, mains-powered device that rocks the house nicely. This Basics device is complete with internal battery power and is charged using a USB lead. Not ideal as it's another device to clutter up those USB ports so I'd recommend using an external charger to top it up. Maybe supplying one with the speaker would have been a good idea but this is a Basics line after all so all that is bundled is a USB cable.

Sound quality is acceptable for its size and price point. I've actually found a niche for it; in the shed. I can connect it to my phone and have music playing whilst I do sheddy stuff like avoiding gardening or contemplating painting. As I don't yet have AC power in there it's ideal for the job. Battery life is something I'm finding adequate but again an external charger is probably going to be required to properly charge this unit. The internal battery cannot be changed by the user.

It isn't bass-heavy because the lower ranges are dealt with by a single speaker that has to fit inside the cabinet, but it's clear otherwise. Standard buttons expected are volume controls, basic play/rewind etc and these are on the top of the unit. Pairing it with both a phone (Motorola) and laptop proved easy enough and there is also an Aux input on the side that would presumably be for wired connection although that's something I have so far not needed to use.

It represents excellent value for money, feels well built and weighty, and comes in Frustration Free packaging for those greenies among us who loathe plastic or too much packaging in general. Use it in the shed or garden, or maybe on a camping trip. Plenty of possibilities.
on 18 August 2014
Need a bluetooth speaker with decent sound, no frills and good value - here it is. the sound quality is excellent, yes it's a bit like a brick but it works fine you can alaos bluettoth your phone/tablet too.

Connection is simple and once it get's going you wont be disappointed.

Recommended.
on 14 April 2014
I bought this speaker for my daughter's birthday present. I'm pleased with the sound quality for such a small speaker, and it's easy for my child to connect via Bluetooth. Strongly recommended!!!
Colour Name: BlackSize: MediumVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For the price, this is a splendid little speaker - smaller than I expected and consequently light and easily portable. I've been using it to listen to radio and podcasts in the garden and am favourably impressed. It's not the greatest speaker in the world, by a long chalk - the bass tones are good, not great, but then you wouldn't expect them to be in a unit of this size and price. Speech - which is what I mainly use it for - is clear and pleasant to the ear; sharp, distinct and not at all tinny, and for music, the tone is fine, way better than the average portable radio. There's an on-off switch for phone calls - because normal people don't want their calls blasting across the garden. The battery life seems brilliant - mine hasn't needed more than one charge yet and I've been using it quite a lot. And it's only £4o! Considering its size and affordability, I think it's a brilliant little unit.
If using it with a aux cable, the energy management system turns the speakers off...which is a bummer. Doesn't happen when using Bluetooth though.
VINE VOICEon 25 June 2014
I didn't expect much in the way of sound from this little box but I was pleasantly surprised; while it's not the deep, rich sound you'll get from a premium set of speakers, it's still got a decent range without a tinny sound or any distortion at loud volumes. I can definitely recommend it on that basis.

However battery life isn't great; a charge only seems to last a couple of hours and the Bluetooth range is severely limited. Step more than four feet away and the sound will start skipping before the speakers disconnect entirely.

If you want to listen to music on a budget and you know you won't be far either from the source or a power socket, you can't go wrong with this. Just don't expect a premium experience from this budget gadget.
VINE VOICEon 30 September 2014
This portable Bluetooth speaker is good value for money and sounds good too! I have a Bose Soundlink II Bluetooth speaker which is very good BUT also expensive. This Amazon Basics speaker, whilst not providing the same volume or such a rich range of sound, especially bass, is very competitive at roughly a fifth of the Soundlink price! I find it especially good for speech when listening to audio books, but it is fine for a range popular music too. The rendition of classical music is somewhat limited, but that is true for much more expensive freestanding speakers also. The controls are simple and easy to follow. You do need to disconnect from a previously paired Bluetooth device, say your phone, if you want to connect a different device, say an iPad, but this is very easily achieved by pressing the central button on top of the speaker. You can even change tracks by pressing the relevant forward or back buttons on the speaker rather than your Bluetooth device. You will need a suitable USB plug to charge the speaker, or use a laptop or PC, but most of us have these plugs for our Bluetooth devices anyway.
Overall, a very competent Bluetooth speaker at this price. Well done Amazon!
VINE VOICEon 19 May 2014
This is a sleek black compact speaker with a good sound to size delivery. It was incredibly easy to set up, open box to playing audiobook from my iPad took just 1 minute! Trialled with daughter's devices and that all went smoothly. Very lightweight so easy to pack to carry with you, take way on holiday and use in the car or outside.
One slight issue that might reduce score to 4 for some is that it has a charging cable but not a plug ... My household, I suspect most households, have multiple plugs to take USB charging cables so I don't think that is a major issue in fact it reduces the clutter in my house, always a bonus.
It is reasonably small and will sit on a table or shelf looking shiny and black, not obtrusive and a handy addition for our family. Great for playing my audiobooks in the car.
on 2 September 2015
I do really like this speaker, it's stylish and the battery lasts for quite a few hours. It's not super loud but the sound quality is good and to be honest it doesn't need to be so loud that when you have friends round you can't talk to them.

Also it's way cheaper than Bose or Sonas which were the ones I first considered.

So here's why it has three stars. I bought a black one 5 months ago and now it won't connect to bluetooth anymore so it's gone in the bin. I also have a white one and for some reason you can't take your music device more than four feet away in a clear space before it disconnects.

But given that they are so cheap I've ordered another black one because they are good and considering the price, you get what you pay for.
on 30 May 2015
After upgrading my IPhone I realized my Bose dock was going to be a redundant so to bridge the gap whilst waiting to decide would be my next purchase I bought the amazon basics speaker.

The sound quality of the AmazonBasics Large portable speaker is pretty impressive although some may find it heavy on the bass and the build quality is as good as any of the market leaders and at a fraction of the price.

The only downfall of this product is the battery life on average I can pull about 4 hours at full volume.

** tip** to get the best sound balance position the speaker with the Bluetooth logo facing you, this means that the sub is pointing away and you will get the full range from the tweeters.