4.3 out of 5 stars1,063

on 26 November 2014
Ok so I read quite a bit. Fiction, reports, WEB, thesis and online news. I also have problems with walking so carrying loads of stuff is impossible. Kindle provides an all round solution for my many needs and great that collections are back uped to the cloud. Clever touch. Now got to go lots to read ttfm
on 17 August 2014
By the time I get to the end of a book I cannot access the Library to choose the next book. It will not get off the last page and just keeps going back to the book I have just finished. This application jams, crashes and we usually have to reinstall it. I am seriously fed up with such an unhelpful and frustrating application. This is the 2nd device I have been unable to get it to work properly on. 1 star for being able to read a couple of books and that's all :(
on 31 December 2014
I love this. I have a tablet and find it so convenient to be able to take this to bed, snuggle under the duvet with just a finger poking out to slide across the screen to turn the page....Bliss. You can even prop it up, so no arms out of the covers if it's chilly.

No light needed either. I have just ordered my first 5 books, they are old books I had read at least 2-3 of before, by Claire Rayner. Gower Street, The Haymarket etc.

I read them many years ago, and I'm enjoying every minute of them again. I don't remember much of them it was so long ago, but that's a bonus.

I'm on the 3rd already and only downloaded it a few days ago. I can't put the thing down now lol! I also have knitting patterns on it. This app is wonderful. If you haven't tried it give it a go. Excellent if your going to travel to but don't have room for the bulk of books.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE BOOKS, I always have and own many, but I'm sure a lot of people would find the simple convenience of this app useful in a lot of situations. Brilliant!!!
on 6 May 2014
Love having my library to hand, and basic functionality is good. But lacks some user friendliness. I've just had to uninstall and reinstall in my Galaxy Note 8.0 (it crashed and refused to open). No easy way to do this without having to download all my books again!!! Why could it not find the existing library? Also why not on the Play Store? Final hassle is the ridiculous Home Page. I've got a great 8" screen and I don't want to swipe and see only 1 book at a time. I understand this on a tiny phone...but they who would be reading books on a tiny phone? Library view should be the default
on 3 February 2014
I can use kindle app on my phone laptop and note, dont need to carry lots of books great app.
on 9 November 2014
The logical place to browse unlimited libraries from your armchair. Download free samples to give a taster before buying. Simple to buy with the 'one click' service and endless free books make this THE app to have for fans of all reading formats. The purists and more nostelgic of us can also order in our favourite paper or hardback form.
All topped by being simple and easy to use..
on 21 February 2015
Depending on the type of content you're reading, it works reasonably well. As well as plain text books (mostly novels), I have used to it to read comic style content too. I still have a number of concerns with the app itself though, in no particular order:

When using it to read comic-style books, there is no 'pinch to zoom' facility so you have to tap on each element to zoom in, and sometimes this just isn't enough for me, even when fully zoomed in.

There is no Text-To-Speech system that I can find. I don't expect audio-book style quality, but it would be nice to be able to use this kind of feature when out walking, using the built-in Text-To-Speech systems in the Android OS. I assume this is a commercial decision by Amazon so people buy audio-book versions or hardware kindles that have it built-in. As a partially sighted person, I don't particularly want to pay a premium because of this.

As far as I can tell, the app always horizontally justifies text to fit the width of the screen, unless the line is shorter than the width. I believe this is also the case with Kindle hardware devices too (but I don't own one so please correct me if I'm wrong). This is particularly annoying if the screen is in portrait mode and automatic hyphenation doesn't work for whatever reason. The effect is that you get large gaps between words which look weird. An option to enable left or right justification would be very much appreciated.

My other concern is that it runs a background service which takes up more memory than it should. This service is mostly designed for 'push' notifications (e.g. where you buy something on another device then send it to your phone/tablet). As people are using their smart phones and tablets for more and more things, having many background services running tends to slow everything else down. Either an option to disable this service (and have the user sync their books whenever they start the app), or an effort to make the background service take up less memory would be appreciated too.

Obviously these concerns won't apply to all users.
on 11 October 2014
I downloaded the Kindle app for my pc and my tablet. I really like the way you can see the covers of the books and you get a better idea of what you have downloaded over time. However, I have had some problems with my Lenovo tablet app as it appeared not to be available for the Lenovo but did download. I spent a lot of time trying to catagorise my books on the tablet but it did not want to work. I tried it on my pc and it worked immediately so I don't know whether this is a problem with the Lenovo tablet. Initially I wanted the apps to make it easier to read recipes as I was cooking (not easy on the Kindle) but I can see me using it a lot for sorting through my Kindle books and deciding what to read on my fairly ancient Kindle.
on 12 August 2014
Love reading, love having a book with me on my phone where-ever I go, love the fact I can carry on reading on my tablet due to Kindle keeping my reading place synced between devices. Love the wide choice of books available on Amazon and how quick it is to get one and start reading. I'd say generally quite pleased with it :)
on 3 June 2015
Please could you add the Amazon developed "Bookerly" font to the Android version of the Kindle app, it is already available in the iPad version.

I have installed the Kindle app on both my Android smartphone and iPad, and have found both versions to be excellent apps. I also very much like the look of the new "Bookerly" font which Amazon has developed for the Kindle systems, and is very pleasant to read books in. While it is available in the iPad version, it is not available in the Android version.

Please add it to the Android version of the Kindle app.

Many thanks for the excellent Kindle apps for both Android and iPad, please add the "Bookerly" font to both to make them perfect.