Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Prime Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Mar 2013 15:28:16 GMT
Figg says:
I have been told by Microsoft that the price for this software - Windows 8 Pro Upgrade - is £189.99. Am I comparing like for like and if so, why such a variance in price?

Posted on 13 Mar 2013 21:49:53 GMT
Mike D. says:
I haven't seen the Pro Upgrade for £189.99. There is an £89.99 upgrade from Basic Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro.
But if you're upgrading from a previous version of Windows (XP, Vista, 7), then the £49.95 version selling here on Amazon is the one you need.

Posted on 13 Mar 2013 22:43:19 GMT
Figg says:
Thank you for responding. It is in the MS Store at £189.99 for Win 8 Pro, Win 8 is now £99.99. That is why I am querying this.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.272001400

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.272001500

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2013 08:31:36 GMT
tomuky2k says:
The price is for an upgrade, you must already have a version of windows installed on your computer. Prices from Microsoft will always be higher, they encourage users to purchase through 3rd Parties like Amazon. Prices for this Windows 8 Upgrade will go up but for the time being they will be cheaper because Amazon bulk bought a lot late last year. Once these are gone, prices may increase. Buy now while you can.

On a side note, you were able to purchase this same upgrade from Microsoft for £39.99 before the 31/01/2013 via a special windows 8 website, that obviously is no longer active.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2013 12:08:30 GMT
Figg says:
Thank you for your interest.
Both are Upgrade editions of Win 8 Pro. MS price £189, Amazon price £49. First, am I comparing like for like ie. same versions/editions, and second, if so, why the huge price variance.

Is the low price at Amazon an indication of the interest of the consumer in the product. Too much stock, very low price to shift it!

I already have Windows 7 Home Premium on a 6 month old laptop but am thinking of buying an upgrade now and installing it later.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2013 13:06:10 GMT
Mike D. says:
Figgerty, to answer your question - no, you're not comparing like for like. The more expensive version is an upgrade from Windows 8 basic to Windows 8 Pro. The £49.95 version is the one you want if you're upgrading from Windows 7. It's always been that price since launch. They're also selling it in PC World for the same price; Amazon's price is about the same as you would pay elsewhere for the version you need.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2013 14:01:29 GMT
Figg says:
Thank you Michael, they looked the same to me and I could not understand the price difference. It is still a puzzle to me as to my you are expected to pay £140 more to upgrade from one version of Win 8 to another, than from a Win 7 version to Win 8 Pro.

Thanks for the information.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2013 14:13:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Mar 2013 14:14:04 GMT
Figg says:
I have checked again and you can upgrade from Win 7 to both versions of Win 8, the £99 and £189 ones. So the price difference is still perplexing.

Posted on 14 Mar 2013 15:26:20 GMT
Mike D. says:
I agree, it's perplexing. If it helps, I went for the £49.95 version on here to upgrade a Windows 7 Home Premium machine and had no issues. I also bought a copy of the same edition from PC World (had a voucher to spend) to upgrade another PC.

Posted on 14 Mar 2013 15:26:38 GMT
Mike D. says:
I agree, it's perplexing. If it helps, I went for the £49.95 version on here to upgrade a Windows 7 Home Premium machine and had no issues. I also bought a copy of the same edition from PC World (had a voucher to spend) to upgrade another PC.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2013 16:45:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Mar 2013 17:20:34 GMT
Figg says:
Thank you. It may be a question of Microsoft not wanting to admit that their product is only worth £50 to people wanting to upgrade. I went from XP on old laptop to Win 7 on my new one, so have not suffered the problems many people had with Vista. Therefore, I am cautious about upgrading and certainly would not consider it at Microsoft prices.

Thanks again for your help and advise.

Posted on 15 Mar 2013 11:24:02 GMT
Mike D. says:
Perhaps MS are learning from Apple, who never charge more than £30 for a Mac OS upgrade.
Also, this is the first version of Windows to come with an App Marketplace; the more people they incentivise to upgrade, the more people they will have as potential app purchasers.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2013 19:04:55 GMT
Figg says:
You may be right but charging £140 more i n the Microsoft Store seems bonkers.

Posted on 8 Apr 2013 21:45:49 BDT
Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC)
I bought my first copy for my iMac directly from Microsoft in December for £24.99, by download. Came to Amazon as I needed a new product key, having managed to use the boot disk I made in December to install to a new MacBook Pro. (You cannot use this upgrade to install to a Mac without Windows.) There are some interesting prices around on the web, often around £25, though they tend to last only a short time and you have to be quick to find them.

Posted on 9 May 2013 08:58:21 BDT
A. Emery says:
The £49 upgrade has been on sale since launch.

Amazon has most likely not sold all their copies yet and so will still continue to sell these cheaper copies until they do even though the official price hike was the end of January 2013.

Says a lot for the sales of win 8 when several months after they were have meant to be sold they still haven't got rid of them yet.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  13 Mar 2013
Latest post:  9 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions