Format: PaperbackChange

on 11 November 2013
I've long been a fan of Marcella Hazan's books. Her recipes are easy to follow and her 'no nonsense' approach is refreshing compared to many of the more recent cookery writers. Following her recent death, I found this book and decided to read about her life. Marcella's husband, Victor, was her translator as she had never felt comfortable using English, it being her second language. This couple obviously had an amazing rapport, which shines through in this book. The relationship between the couple is drawn beautifully well.
I found the early chapters about Marcella's life in Italy during the thirties,forties and fifties the most interesting, though the circumstances leading up to her becoming a cookery writer were also very interesting and amusing. The middle part of the book that concentrates on her life as a writer and teacher of Italian cooking were a little long-winded and I got a bit bored with the endless meetings with publishers and designers. She had some interesting fans and sections about her encounters with Danny Kaye and Sir Norman Foster are very funny.
Marcella had a remarkable life and I would recommend this book to anyone who has used her books and loves them as I do, in order to get an insight into the woman and her career.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse