on 11 January 2011
I am a carer and wanted to increase and update my knowledge on the disease so I found this book online. It is so easy to read and understand, very helpful and it is hard to put it down once you start reading. Great layout and very clear text and diagrams. Overall very pleased with my purchase and would advise any one looking at this book who is interested in the topic to get it. Great read :)
on 13 November 2011
I have reviewed over 45 books about dementia.
This book is the best by a mile.
It should be free on the NHS when you are given your first tentative diagnosis.
on 15 September 2010
This book is a good straightforward guide for anyone who suspects or knows a loved one has dementia. It takes the reader through descriptions of the different forms of dementia with fairly detailed descriptions of the symptoms, then describes how diagnosis is performed, and the treatment options. There are chapters on how to get help with care, and also how to deal with being a carer, and the future prospects of a dementia sufferer. There are several diagrams showing how the brain works and how it is affected by the different dementias.

The book has been written by GPs and I found that the subject was dealt with in a somewhat detached way, however, I think some readers may prefer this approach as they are coming to terms with the situation. I also found it interesting to see the disease from the GP's point of view.

There are some basic tips for dealing with a dementia sufferer, but there is little detail in either understanding what your loved one is going through or for your approach to care. There are very few case histories. I would suggest it as a book for someone who is concerned about dementia, undergoing diagnosis or has just had a diagnosis confirmed.
on 27 June 2012
This is a fantastic book which has really helped me get to grips with the key concepts of Alzheimers disease. The book is precise and straight to the point; with no jargon or long, confusing chapters. Exactly what I needed to help me increase my depth of understanding of the condition before writing a nursing dissertation about the disease. I would highly recommend this book to both patients and nursing students alike.
on 11 February 2013
i chose the rating for the above book because it had all the useful information you needed to know about the condtion dementia and Alzeimers disease
on 21 September 2012
Bought this book with three others having been a carer for two years and got very frustrated with insufficient information and help from the NHS and Social Services. If you're a carer, I would also recommend the books Keeping Mum and The Selfish Pig's Guide.
on 10 November 2014
I bought this along with the book Keeping Mum and found they both complement each other. This one gives you all the facts simply. The other gives you tips from a carer who has really been right through the whole thing.

If you want to know just the facts about dementia this is the book to get - to also view it from a carers perspective try looking at Keeping mum.
on 17 April 2015
Just started my first job as a hca for a dementia home so needed to understand the condition better and bought this straightforward and easy to understand book. Seller was lovely and left a little note aswell. Extremely happy with my purchase and would recommend
on 24 May 2013
I think they need to understand different types of people with the condition not typical text book type. You learn by experience to manage people so didn,t finish reading this book. Not for us.
on 3 March 2015
It helped me understand more about the illness my dad is suffering with and help me explain why he has different symptoms happening to him and to let him know it's not his fault and not to worry or be embarrassed it's the illness. This book was very informative and easy to understand and I would recommend it to anyone trying to understand this illness and how to cope with it and be able to help the person with Alzheimer know your there