Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 August 1999
I bought this book to take on holiday and it made me laugh so much all the others on the holiday wanted to read it after me! My mum has just read in on my recommendation and she loved it too. Kathy Lette's talent for characters has become even better since Foetal Attraction and she definitely has 'girl power'. It has inspired me in all sorts of ways.
on 12 October 2005
Honestly I tried to give this book a chance. I struggled through to the end of this book despite the fact that I kept telling myself to just put it down and never pick it back up again. But unfortunately I did pick it back up and it never got any better. I do not get offended easily, however, as an African-American woman I found parts of this book to be very offensive but, sorry to say, that was not the only downfall of this book. `ALTAR EGO' was not very funny, the characters were totally unlikable (to the point where I almost didn't even care what happened to them next), and the ending was completely unbelievable.
Becky, the main character of this book ditches Julian, her fiancé, at the altar feeling overwhelmed by the idea of commitment, despite this Julian takes Becky back into his life and his home. But at a friends wedding Becky meets an American rap star and begins a long-term affair with him. Throughout this book Becky proceeds to hurt everyone in her life from her lover and fiancé to her best friends and yet Lette expects us to feel sympathy for her when things don't go her way. I am a big fan of British humor but `ALTAR EGO' is not a good example of a `BRIDGET JONES DIARY' style of book. And the portrayal of this Lenny Kravitz type rap star (a combination that is unbelievable enough by itself) was a completely inaccurate representation of American culture. Simply put `ALTAR EGO' was just plain bad, 1 star!!
on 14 May 1999
Any woman who disses this book must have a screw loose as she is obviously not connected to her female self. This has to be one of the best books I have ever read - it is witty, sad, funny, hopelessly sentimental and brilliantly written. The book is full of twists and turns and stirs all kinds of emotions - it's a fairytale love story that I'm sure every girl wishes for.
on 7 October 2000
Like most people, I love a good laugh. However, no book has made me guffaw and cry tears of laughter as much as "Altar Ego". I read "Foetal Attraction" after this one but found that nothing could possibly top this novel. I honestly couldn't put it down. I found myself identifying with the characters, especially Becky, laughing, crying and cheering throughout. I have owned a copy of this book for eight months and read it at least once each month. Well done Kathy on a brilliant story.
on 19 May 1999
Highly entertaining, great beach / plane book. Makes you giggle, definitely one for the girls, certainly identified with the triumph of lust over marriage, and the struggle to 'grow up'! Won't heal your life, change your mind, or alter any plans you made, but it is fun, a romp, and stock up on those one liners!
on 14 December 2003
I have read nearly all of Kathy Lette's books, and although it is hard to pick a favourite, this is, in my opinion, the best one. I love the way that she can make a heroine whom you would consider a horrible human being if you knew her in real life appear to deserve the sympathy, and not to mention laughs, that all heroines get. The book is also extremely funny - not a good choice for a bedtime story as it kept me so wide awake with its laugh-a-minute style!
on 10 August 1999
Having already read Mad Cows, Foetal Attraction and Girls Night Out I didn't expected Altar Ego to be as good, I was very much mistaken. Lette describes things that you believe only you feel. When reading one of her novels you feel as if you are the heroin (or wish you could be in Altar Ego, especially when Zach is in the picture).
Although incredibly funny, Lette describes in her novels the pain and trauma and suffering experienced with relationships, with partners, friends, relatives and children with great empathy and sympathy.
I find her novels a delight to read and difficult to put down.
on 13 January 1999
After having read all her other books and enjoying each one immensely, I was looking forward to this latest edition by Kathy Lette. Unfortunately she spent too much time concentrating on the actual wording of the story than the plot. Even though the book still made me smile in places, the story itself is rather dull and far too fluffy. If "Altar Ego" is aimed at making it a big film with Meg Ryan in Hollywood or if she has just lost her "bite", I wouldn't recommend this book to anybody.
on 28 July 1999
I foolishly bought this, against my better judgement having read & disliked Feotal Attraction and Mad Cows. The puns are as awful and irritating as ever and the characterisation is as usual caricaturisation.
In fact I gave up on this half way through & could just not bear to read anymore. It's a shame as Lette interviews so well, she writes about strong women & conceptually I like her books but I cannot read them, the style is just so awful and the dialogue far too contrived.
on 21 May 2007
I received this book Saturday afternoon and finished it late sunday night - I just couldn't put it down! I've just recently started to read more of Kathy Lette's books and so far this is my favourite - its rude, crude and laugh out loud and yes, you hate the main character for her callous use of her friends and relations but, you can't help feeling sorry for her and wishing her the best towards the end... I'll definately be putting this on my 'must read again' pile!