Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

on 13 January 2010
I had no idea when I ordered this book just how good it would be. It was a 1st birthday present for my son who wasn't overly keen on books, unlike his older brother, and what a lovely gift it is. He fell in love with its magic (as did I) from the very first time we sat down together to read it.

It is a full-on touchy feely with all kinds of textures and lots of unusual animals - one for every letter. It also has fabulous, spring-loaded tabs and pull-outs. My son particularly likes the sticky octopus legs, the warthog which shakes his head and the little chicks opening their beaks for worms - it truly is enchanting - with new things to see every time you read it.

My son is now spellbound by most books, but I do think it was this one that grabbed his attention first. He now has to fight his older brother off to read it! A wonderful poster is also included at the back of the book which looks fabulous in the boys' bedroom.

Would make an excellent gift for any age of toddler and I will buy many more copies for friends and family in the future.
on 6 March 2010
I bought this book for my twin girls and was delighted with it. It is a quirky take on the usually boring and predictable alphabet: a is for apple etc. Instead it has a host of beautifully drawn, interesting and unusual animals; with pop up flaps and sensory pages. It also comes with a lovely poster of the alphabet to stick on your wall. I think it's such a brilliant book that I've bought it for virtually all my friends' toddler kids.
on 7 August 2014
A great book full of touchy feely sections, flaps, buttons and pulls. You may not know all of the animals but the guide in the back helps. My girl (2.5) loves making the warthog shake mud everywhere and make the kangaroos jump. I love the faces on the animal parents when their youngsters play rough with Daddy or squirt water at their mummy. I can empathise with them completely.
My daughter has learned the names of many unusual creatures and fruits: unicorn beetle, zorilla, junco, quoll, ugli fruit, and skink are all part of her vocabulary now!
Don't buy if you want to teach the alphabet though: there are much better purpose made books out there for that!
on 14 January 2013
My 3 year old neice loves it, she loves pushing and pulling the tabs which are slightly different to the usual simple ones. I keep finding more things to interact with on the page, hidden fury bits or jagged skins etc!! Colourful and fun.
on 18 January 2012
I bought this book while I was pregnant having seen a copy of it and falling in love with it. Fortunately my daughter feels the same way. This animal alphabet uses some unusual choices to complete the A to Z, uses rhyme which is always popular in our house and is so interactive. Not only is it touchy feely and very tactile there are also moving parts and flaps to lift. The illustrations are really nice and bright and in addition to the main animal representing each of the letters there are also other animals, foods and plants on each page beginning with the same letters. This ties up with a section at the back listing them so you can go back and try and spot them. If you like your farm animals and nothing more exotic than apples and pears this may not be the book for you but to me it makes a refreshing (and vocab extending) change. With an ABC poster (made of decent stiff card) in the back this is a great buy and it is one of my little girl's absolute favourites. As an added recommendation two of the people we know who work with children with additional needs have taken the details to buy copies because they think it is such a good book.
on 10 October 2009
My son was bought this book for his 2nd birthday and absolutely loves it. I have since bought it for other children becasue of the enjoyment and educational element to this book. There is so much you can do with it other than just reading it from beginning to end. Would highly recommend for any child
on 30 May 2011
As alphabet boks go, you can't get much better. I'm currently building up a collectin of Van Fleet's books, both for use with my kids now, but also I think they'll be a wonderful treasury for the future. Once you've seen one, you'll understand what I mean. The quality of workmanship is phenomenal and if my boy is anything to go by, they'll be loved from day one.
An excellent book for hours of entertainment with children from 9 months on (my boy got his first Van Fleet book when he was 8 months and it's now a bedtime ritual!).
The books are very well made and colourful, with a wealth of knowledge contained in them for enquiring minds. I would highly recommend them.
on 23 January 2015
Not my favourite Van Fleet, but still fab. I'm partial to Cat, Dog, and Moo, which are photographic, rather than illustrated, but the variety of animals in this one is exemplary. Not just your usual elephants and lions here, but all sorts of stuff that even I've never heard of (and I've seen every programme ever made by David Attenborough!). Finally someone who uses something else for the letter Z besides zebras!
on 7 April 2011
We were give one of his other books and so I bought this with the intention of helping to teach my daughter the alphabet. It is extremely robust with great moving parts which amuse the reader. The choice of animals used to illustrate the letters is unconventional which I like and the letters are highlighted in the words. The final poster is a nice touch. A good tool to enhance and enjoy learning.
on 20 January 2015
I'm in the U.S. and this was a gift for the son of my friend "across the pond," so I didn't actually see it in person, but she said it arrived in perfect condition. I've bought several of Matthew Van Fleet's books for other kids over the years and all the kids really loved them. Don't hesitate to buy one of his if you are mulling it over, they're very cute and appealing to little ones.