on 1 August 2012
I started smoking at 15 behind the bike sheds at school - at the time I thought is was cool.

I am now 46 and apart from a few failed tries at stopping, have smoked around 20 a day since.

I have a little boy 3, and a little girl of 6. When they ask you to stop smoking because they don't want you to die you need to listen.

After reading this book, I stopped smoking and know I will not start again. It was by far the easiest and least difficult of all my attempts to stop smoking.

Being generally a bit cynical about 'self help books', and seeing some reviews from people who are 'too intelligent' and see through the techniques used, or criticise the writing style, I say the following:

1). This book has helped large numbers of people to stop smoking.

2). It costs around the same as one packet of cigarettes.

3). Reading it could save you life.

The greatest gift that I could wish for is to see my two small children grow into adulthood, perhaps get married and have children of their own. I now have a much better chance of seeing those things.

Dress it up how you like, it really is as simple as that.

Just for once take the advice of a perfect stranger, one with no axe to grind, who wishes someone had pointed them in this direction years ago.

You have virtually nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Please try this book.
66 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 November 2013
I was a 20-30 per day smoker for 11 years and I hated every puff, I also hated that I was willing to go hungry or beg strangers to get a cigarette. What's more not only did smoking make me ill but it was killing me; I suffered a severe chest infection that nearly killed me at 20, and I suffered multiple strokes in my teens as a result of being both a smoker and taking hormonal birth control pills. In my time trying to quit smoking I had tried every tip and trick to cut down or quit cold-turkey, I had tried nicotine replacement therapy, e-cigarettes, support groups, drugs like Zyban, but nothing worked more than three months...and those three months were a constant battle not to buy a pack of cigarettes, depriving myself of something I didn't even want, eating like a pig to keep my mouth busy, sleeping-in to avoid hour of torment without a smoke, and snapping at everyone.

I came across Easyway on a forum amongst a sea of positive reviews, I immediately thought 'this is going to be the magic ticket!' and bought a new copy of the book straight away. I got the book within a few days, initially I tried to put off reading the book - I'm not a huge reader, and I guess I was scared of giving-up smoking - I would read a few pages then decide I was bored, or I'd find myself sitting arguing with the book...sure I knew smoking was bad but it calmed me down, I need it to socialise, to break the boredom at work, to take a break between drinks on a night out, to use as a means of self-defense when walking alone at night...it took me a few weeks to finish the book. I agreed with everything that the book said and so I stopped smoking...

I managed three months before I broke-down and asked a work colleague for a cigarette, it had been a little easier than on previous attempts to quit, but it was still me trying to use willpower to fight the addiction - I wasn't using the method correctly! I knew the method worked, it made too much sense for it not to work! Over the following year I continued to smoke but at the same time suggested this book to friends; FIVE people quit smoking with this book after I recommended it to them, why not me?! I didn't follow the method correctly, chances are it was because I'm not a big fan of reading and just found myself sitting arguing with the book was why it didn't work for me. I tried re-reading the book and getting a PC disk with software guiding you through the course, I knew was missing something but at the same time I knew I was on the right track!

I signed up for an Easyway Clinic, it was expensive however it was about the cost of two months worth of cigarettes and they offered a full money back guarantee so I had nothing to lose. The clinic took two hours, they went through exactly what they did in the book and I was able to argue back with the advisor...the thing is he didn't say anything I didn't already know myself, I felt like he hadn't really given me anything new at all. During the whole clinic you were still allowed to smoke, we had regular cigarette breaks and we happily chain-smoked every 30 minutes. At the end of the clinic we were asked to throw our cigarettes into a bin bag, I did so knowing fine well that I was just going to buy more on my way home...

...I never bought another pack of cigarettes.

I've been a non-smoker for 7 years now and I have never once wanted to smoke again; no cravings, no withdrawal, no moodiness, no depriving myself, no struggle with willpower or replacing cigarettes with food or some other distraction for my mouth or hands. It's not that I'm an ex-smoker either, it's like I was never a smoker to begin with. I look at people smoking and I am completely baffled by it, I just can't get my head around the idea of lighting up a cigarette and putting it in my mouth to suck on. The whole idea of smoking seems so foreign to me now, I just can't remember how to smoke or why I'd even want to. It drives me insane seeing smokers going through hell trying to quit with willpower methods, when I know this method is so easy!

Not meaning to break any illusions here, but Easyway works by tackling the mental addiction - if you don't want to quit and if you don't follow this method then it won't work. I can assure you those who give this book a bad review have found it hasn't worked because they haven't followed the method, I see them saying; it's just saying what you know already, it just keeps repeating the same thing, it just keeps talking about the method but never explains the method, smoking is a chemical addiction so this book won't help you - trust me when I say these people have missed the entire point of the book.

I can honestly say this book saved my life, and gave me back my freedom, I really can't express how much I appreciate and love Allen Carr for what he has done. I'll even let you in on a secret, when I have spare cash I buy copies of this book and leave it in doctors offices. PLEASE I beg you buy this book, or even try the clinic. THIS METHOD WORKS.
11 comment|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2012
I had tried all the doctor suggested ways to give up smoking. Patches, all strengths. Gum and lozenges, inhalators you name it and found it so hard, even to cut down. Nicotine consumption actually increased, dramatically, I was constantly frustrated that my hard work increased my smoking. Then, for cost reasons I had to give up giving up. I'm so glad I did give up giving up because that action lead me to this book. read the reviews, they don't lie. I was the very definition of skeptical but found the instructions readable without jargon or scare tactics and the whole process incredibly easy and dare I say it - enjoyable. I can honestly say I have not felt any of the big bad withdrawal symptoms that all smokers believe exist (they don't). The only thing I felt difficult to deal with was the thought that I had openly believed the brain washing for so long (over 30 yrs). Read this book if you want to stop smoking, I read it in a week and that's as long as it took me to stop.Thank-You Allen Carr.
on 20 December 2015
The best book I've ever read. More than 2 years on and after 20 years of smoking (much of it spent in failed giving-up cycles) I have never touched nor even craved a cigarette since the day I read the last page of this book. Truly life-changing.

Reading it alone is not a magic cure for addiction and if that's your attitude you will be disappointed. You need to engage with it, you need to understand it, you need to challenge your thinking, and you need to re-read bits of it as you go along to strengthen your understanding of it. You also need to be open minded about changing your thought processes and changing your whole outlook on smoking. Once understood it is incredibly empowering (exciting even!) and stopping smoking becomes an absolute joy rather than a cursed challenge.
on 7 January 2015
I quit for 2 years after reading this book, sadly I fell into the "trap" again at a party. I've been smoking again for around 6 month, and after re reading it I'm excited about being a non smoker again. If you are thinking this book is a load of bull *#*+ give it a try. It's a godsend.
on 15 January 2016
I purchased this book last year and I'm now proud to say I quit smoking a year ago without the use of any aids.

I was highly skeptical when it was recommended to me by a friend and truly didn't believe a book alone would stop me smoking, after all I "enjoyed" my 20 a day habit.

Somehow, without being preachy or pressurising Alan Carr Helped me reach the conclusion that not only did I actually want to quit smoking, but that I could do it as easy as that!

I've recommended this to so many people now and it's an actual mystery to me why the government isn't providing this book to people instead of patches and other methods!
on 29 August 2014
I smoked on and off for 20 years from 1985-2005, with the habit getting gradually heavier such that I was on about 30 a day for the last 6 years or so. I disliked the smell of cigarettes, and hated myself for the weakness I felt I couldn't control. As just one example, I'd often be on my way to work, I might be running late, I might have a meeting that was going to start that I was cutting it fine to make it to, but if I'd run out or was running low on cigs, I'd stop at a shop or petrol station, get some cigs, and no doubt smoke a last one before going into the office building... all adding to the stress, the lateness, and the sense of frustration and anger with myself. Still, it was a trap, an addiction I suppose (though I never thought of it like that) that I simply could not escape. Nine years ago I'd recently split with my girlfriend of 14 years, and was having a housewarming at the little one-bedroom apartment I was moving into. One of the guests brought Allen Carr's book along as a housewarming present. I tossed it on one side for a month or two. Then I read it. I got about 3/4 of the way through, then started again from the beginning again, and kind of speed-read through to the end during a long train ride. At the end of the journey, I went to a station smoking area, smoked a last cigarette (which I hated doing), dumped the 3 unopened packs of cigs that I had with me in the smoking area as a pressie for some other smoker, and that was that. I've never smoked another cigarette since, and never plan to. And as for that guest at the housewarming with the unusual present, well, she and I got married a few years ago.
on 26 May 2013
For the 1st time in 40 years I consider myself A non smoker. The book was easy to read, quick paced and made me laugh. It was not at all what I expected. GIVE it a read, even if you are the partner of the intended non smoker. Thank you Allen.
on 30 August 2013
me and my bf read this book and we both quit and not somked for nearly a year genuis. it was sooooo easy. we had both tried to quit before and lasted from an hour to a month and still ended up smoking we thought we woukd never quit
on 10 January 2015
I read this book as a 20-30 per day smoker. By the end of the book, I thought 'Is that it?' but I have never touched a cigarette again. It is now 13 years. I would recommend this book to anyone - it literally changed my life.