on 4 March 2007
I am a 23 year old male. I had been smoking since I was 14 years old. For about the last two years of my smoking, I was constantly trying to quit - by the end, I was trying to stop every Monday. Sometimes I would go an hour, sometimes a day, maybe even four or five days, now and again. Almost inevitably though, some reason, some excuse for me to smoke, would crop up that left me absolutely no choice in the matter, I just had to have a cigarette.

I'm not sure where I heard about this book, but I did, and how grateful I am too. This is the point where you who are reading this, start to feel sceptical of what you are about to read, much like I did when reading the reviews before me. Not that I questioned the truthfulness of others, but I seriously doubted my own capability of being successful like other people had. Here's what happened...

I read the book over the Christmas period of last year, 2006. By New Year's Eve, I was going over the last chapters, preparing for the 'final' cigarette. I tried to cram as many cigarettes into those concluding few hours of my smoking life, as I could possibly stomach. With mixed emotions, I read one of the penultimate chapters, instructing me to smoke my last cigarette, and end the slavery. I say mixed emotions because there was some fear of the unknown, some trepidation there, but I must stress that I really wanted to be free and was completely clear on my decision. I think the key for me, was really believing and desiring a life free from smoking. I had to want it.

So, that was a little over two months ago as I write, not a substantial amount of time, yet not insignificant considering the longest I ever went was 6 days and that was an absolute battle every minute. So far, I have been in pubs, had some very stressful moments, been to places that I wholey associate with smoking... yet I've not even been close to smoking. It just doesn't have the same hold over me anymore.

Now, I can't guarantee you the same success as I have had, or even quarantee myself the continued success that I've had. What I can tell you, is that if you genuinely want to quit smoking, and have not yet been able to find the necessary way to do so, then this book is, at worst, an interesting read that will set you back a few pounds. At best, it will bring about a change in attitude and thought that will strengthen you to no longer smoke and enjoy all the many benefits that brings. Personally, I would recommend this book to anyone who has a desire to stop smoking - give it a try and enjoy the ride.

I am extremely indebted to Mr Carr, as without this book, I'm certain that I would still be smoking, yet somehow despising every filthy inhalation of it... right now I'm not living that tortuous paradox, I'm just getting on with life.

I wish you all, and myself, all the best of luck. Our bodies are wonderful but fragile things, and if we don't look after them ourselves, who will...? Make the leap of faith.

Best wishes all
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2007
I have tried Gum, Patches, Inhalator, Lozengers, Zyban & Champix none of them worked at all. I heard of this book and thought why not...what have I got to loose, but I have to admit that I thought that going 'cold turkey' had little chance of working.
When reading the book I was actually looking forward to the end of the book when I would have my last cigarette and excited about being a non smoker!!!!
The book makes you look at what you do as a smoker in a totally different light and shows how nice and free it is to be a non smoker.

*UPDATE* Just thought I'd update you guys....well it is now 30/12/07 and I am still a non smoker and I know I always will be. Don't get me wrong there was some tough days and I'm sure there will be more to come but now I see all those people desperately puffing on those fags and now I look at them and think...well at least I'm not putting my body through that any more. When the going gets tough I simply glance through the book and some part will catch my eye and remind me why I did this in the first place then I feel fine again.
Oh, and lastly we have booked a 2 week med cruise for next year which my 2 kiddies are really looking forward to! bottom line is I know if I had continued to smoke we would never have been able to afford to do is that the ultimate reward or what!

Please give the book a go if you want to quit....Good luck! xx

**Last Update ** 10/08/09
Well I'm now fastly approaching the 2nd year anniversary of freedom! (26/08/09):-)
All I can say is if you are still looking for excuses then I feel sorry for you.
Life is 100% better as a non smoker.
The other day I was walking with my 10yr old Daughter, when someone walked past us who was obviously (from the smell of them) a be honest if made me feel ill.
My Daughter pointed out that I used to smell like that..god the shame of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are going on another cruise over Christmas & New Year this year...Italy, Egypt, Turkey, Crete & Greece etc...Can't wait, and again I know that if I never had quit we would not be able to do this.
I'm not saying that if you quit you will be able to do the same, but you WILL feel so much better.
This is my final update as I hope you now know that after 2 years as a non smoker I wanted to show you that this is not just a short term fix!

on 8 December 2002
Allen Carr has made stopping smoking ridiculously easy. My only complaint is that the author makes it far too easy to quit without the need for will-power or need for gimmicks or substitutes. Through logic and observable facts he dispels the illusion of pleasure that smoking provides. He doesn't even ask the reader to quit until they are happy and ready to do so at the end of the book.
I smoked for 18 years and am now a very happy non-smoker. Thank you Allen Carr! I cannot tell you succinctly enough of the utter joy I received on realising that I no longer had to continue to poison my body day after day, never being allowed to stop, as the addiction to nictotine enslaved me. Freedom is very sweet!
The author also provides two compact discs for after you have quit. They alone are worth the price of the book. Here is one happy customer and you will be too! Buy the book, GO ON! It will be the best decision you have ever, ever made. What have you got to lose? If you don't quit you will be no worse off than you are now. Remember Allen Carr will not ask you to quit until the end of the course. The course itself is so very easy that it is difficult to understand why we continued to smoke for so long. I now regard Allen Carr to be the only expert on nicotine addiction. Do you have a good enough reason not to buy this book?
on 30 July 2007
I pretty much concur with the reviews of the previous 451 people (well, most of them anyway). Believe what you like.

I was told to buy this book by someone who quit 4 years ago. He was a 40-a-day smoker himself and just quit overnight using the book. When he said that he didn't ever fancy a cigarette, I was very sceptical - I know how hard my Father has found it and he quit nearly 30 years ago.

I'm not even sure I really wanted to give up - I think it was more peer pressure than anything - none of my friends smoke and my best friend is married to a Doctor! I got nearly all the way to the end (to the part where you are asked to smoke a final cigarette). I realised for possibly the first time in my life that the most revolting thing I had ever put in my mouth was a cigarette (I was a little boy once too!)

If you've read this far, you're definitely interested. As someone earlier has said, this is half of the battle. This book will help you win the final battle and the war!

I'm not pretending it will help everyone but for the cost of it, even if you quit for a day, you're getting to the point of saving the cost of the book.

As for the person who said that they didn't like the way Allen Carr talks down to them, they obviously live in a little bubble where everyone is nice and polite. Sometimes, to achieve things, we all need to be put in our place. This is something that Allen Carr does correctly. He doesn't do it "just because he can", he does it because he needs you to understand how to help yourself!

20 a day for 22 years to nothing! In just a few hours!

It might be sunny now when you go down the pub and smoke outside... just think about what it'll be like at -10 and you're shivering in the snow!
on 1 February 2012
I read this book ten years ago. And I still don't smoke. Strangely, sometimes I forget I don't smoke, and take a cigarette when someone offers it, only to go, "Actually I don't smoke" and give it back, unlit. Sixteen years of being a smoker - I don't want to smoke any more, but the automatic reaction is still to accept when someone offers!

The funny bit was sitting at the bus stop with the book in one hand and a lit cigarette in the other, knowing people were thinking "If it's so easy, why is she still smoking?". The difficult bit was three quarters of the way through it, KNOWING that by the time I got to the end of the book, then I would no longer WANT to smoke. That was scary. The feeling was as if I was going to give the big heave ho to my best friend, the one who'd been there for me through thick and thin, through all the stressful and fun times, who'd never let me down. But the moment when you realise that actually, this "best friend" is the one who has kept you down, and you no longer need them, it's one of the best moments of your life.

I was convinced I liked smoking. My point of no return was when I asked myself "If I like smoking so much, and could go back in time, would I still take that first cigarette?" The answer was definitely "No".

Imagine you've walked with a crutch for years, and suddenly you don't need it any more. It IS scary to lose your crutch, and those first few steps are weird, but it's exhilarating.

By reading this book, you are taking your freedom back.

It's the best money you'll spend.

Just do it.
on 29 November 2002
Allen Carr takes a comprehensive look at Nicotine Addiction. When I first opened this book, I scanned through each chapter reading a few sentences here and there to get a feel for his style and attitude. I could tell straight away that Allen had been a Nicotine Addict himself. The way he put things, the show of understanding what it is like to be a chain smoker. I felt that he cared about my feelings and that there was an awakening to be had before I could even attempt to break the addiction. This book is not glamorous, there are no gimmicks, no patches, no bull shit, no chewing gum, no intimidation, no shock horror tactics, just the truth. So I would excuse you if you were reading this book and vomited in front of me. Indeed, the truth can be that sickening. But Allen deals with the reality of Nicotine Addiction.
I only wish I had come across this book fifteen years ago when I first started trying to stop smoking. There really is no suffering involved in stopping. It's all in your head and when you get a grip on reality you will stop smoking as easy as you stop reading this....
on 24 April 2007
Allen Carr is a legend. I am one of those who started smoking at 18 - managed to stop twice- once for about two weeks and once for about 2 months... but both times i stopped... i felt it was always a question of how long was i stoppin for rather than 'YES i have finally kicked the 'habit'!'

around 3 weeks ago i decided to go on another one of these senseless 'will power' adventures to save money! two weeks into it - and still having gone without a smoke - one of my work colleagues lent me the book - and i read it over a 48 hour period because it was an awesome read and i really wanted to quit! a week later - and now i know 99% of the nicotine has left my body.. and i am not even craving ciggies anymore... it would take my own stupidity of takin 'just the one cigarette' that will take me back - id like to think i am not that crazy - especialyl after reading the quite simply awesome book!

would i recommend it? hell yeah! at the end of the day - if you stop smoking for just two days after reading it - you are on a profit financially, health wise and are more wise to the reality of smoking!

i cannot speak highly enough of the man that is Allen Carr - May God have mercy on his soul and allow him to rest in peace.
VINE VOICEon 21 October 2004
It's now 15 months since I read this book and gained my freedom from 25 years of slavery to nicotine. I laughed at how easy it was.. and then felt anger that I'd been fooling myself for so long. Stopping really was effortless, but unfortunately, the only difficulty you will have after reading this book is convincing other smokers that it is the best way to stop their habit successfully. Fortunately you will be armed with the information to explain their reasons for avoiding this book (basically the fear of "giving up" something!), but after buying several copies for friends who are now ex smokers I can assure you it is worth the effort. The only thing that can match the euphoria you will feel after reading this book is seeing the same results with others. By far the most amazing book I have ever read. A priceless investment that WILL change your life.
on 13 January 2005
That was what I asked. Well it can and it will, it's as simple as that. No gimmicks, no magic, no substitutes and no scare tactics.
I was recommended the book by a friend but was very cynical so never bought it. My frustrated friend bought it for me and out of curiosity I read it. I was a 20 a day smoker for 20 years, read the book and have never smoked since.
It took me just over 3 hours to read because once I started it I couldn't put it down, the truth of the book took my breath away.
I feel free, liberated and exhilerated - strong words but so very true!
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by reading this book.
Stop smoking for less than the cost of two packets of cigs! You know you just have to read it!!!!
on 27 December 2005
Right, I have been trying desperately to quit for the last few months and have been almost reduced to tears on several occasions due to the craving despite being terrified I was going to die of smoking related cancer or something!
I bought this book after I saw a colleague quit using this method.
I read the book with the open (and sceptial) mind and have to admit it worked. I quit for 2 weeks on this book. The reason I lapsed I believe was due to the fact I believed after stopping that long (Previous attempts lasted 2 days!)that I would 'get away with' having the odd one or, no, no! It doesn't happen....!
Now, I tried the book again, couldn't quite get back into it. I emailed my nearest contact as listed in the back of the book and booked into a session with a therapist and 9 other people.
That was a month ago, and despite having a partner, colleagues and a father that regulalry smoke around me, I have not smoked for 4 weeks.
The first week you will still be resisiting (not fighting!) the craving. This far on and I am able to have a drink and not be climbing the walls....!
And this is also over the Christmas period when everybody (Smokers!) thought I was nuts.
My boyfriend is still shocked at the fact I am still not smoking!!
To be honest, so am I!
If you really are serious, try the book. Or as another avenue,if you need to, go to the session. They have a full money back guarantee and you can use the voucher in the back of the book to get the value of the book deducted off the session price.. The best £195 I ever spent!!