Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.62

on 11 June 2011
I nearly didn't even start reading this book as I thought it might be a teen read but I'm glad I did. Emma is a creative young woman who has started designing clothes in a backroom area in her Dad's lace factory. When a fashion queen visits the lace factory to see some lace for her wedding dress she accidentally discovers Emma's designs and wants one of the dresses for her honeymoon. Emma panicks but with the help of her friend Charlie she comes up with a cover name of Allega Biscotti. Allega achieves quite a bit of blog coverage and Emma is forced to work in secret on 3 new pieces for a photo shoot and once she's deep under cover things start to go wrong, with her best friend, parents and even with the clothes. People rally round to help once they know the truth. A nice read.
on 22 November 2014
i'm so far away from the reading audience of this book! However, I loved it. Not too much teen speak, the characters dialogue was good. I love fashion and sewing so got hooked in from the cover and it did not disappoint. Beautifully written passages about fabrics and sewing - a little escapism.
on 22 October 2014
I got this 'accidentally' by downloading a few titles for a trip away. Soon realised it was aimed at ayounger audience but carried on reading. I enjoyed the story, a teen dream about a schoolgirl fashion designer who gets a big break by pretending to be an alter ego. Some other teen themes are included e.g. anime comic art, crushes on a boy at school, losing best friends etc., and they all add up to a good story with identifiable characters. The only downside is the ending, which is very abrupt and the cost of the next book, which would be expensive for the age group of the target audience.
on 21 October 2014
Charming story about a teenager who designs clothes inbetween lessons at school and then gets pulled into a scenario where she actually has to design for a fashion mag.
It may seem totally impossible, but both my mother and her best friend were dress designing and dressmaking in their teens, so yes, it is feasible.
Aimed at mid teens, but can certainly be enjoyed by older people, so long as they are open minded.
on 17 October 2014
I came across this book while looking for books that my daughter might like. I wouldn't recognise fashion if it leapt up and bit me, so some of the terms and concepts were beyond me, and I must confess that I was not looking forward to reading this book. But this book is well written, and I found that I could actually quite enjoy it myself. But in the final analysis, this book is not for me, and I am sure that my daughter will love it. So I am just about to get her Kindle, and load it on there.
Emma wants to be a fashion designer more than anything. She has a small room at her father's warehouse where she designs and sews clothes. Every day on the way to school, she creates the ultimate fashion outfit from taking different pieces she sees and changing them to fit her style.

When a famous fashionista comes down to her father's warehouse and stumbles upon her designs, it's almost miraculous. Except for one small detail: it's hard to be a fashion designer when you're only in eighth grade.

On the spot, Emma makes up the secret identity of Allegra Biscotti for her designs. Now, she's exchanging texts with a fashion editor from Madison magazine for a feature interview. After the interview airs, the editor asks for three unique items from her Spring Collection.

Her friend, Charlie, helps her keep her lies straight and helps create a business persona. He's the only one who knows the truth. Emma can't risk telling her BFF, Holly, because Holly's infiltrating the popular crowd. As much as she tries to bring Emma into the group, Emma resists. She can't stand how superficial the girls can be, and she can't stand how they're supposed to be best friends while they're mean to each other.

As the deadline looms, Emma's not sure she can finish creating these pieces.

I really enjoyed this book - the first in a new series dealing with friendship drama, lies, fashion, and decisions about the future.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel
on 14 June 2011
I wouldn't say that this book was unputdownable (don't think thats an actual word, but oh well) but it was fun, and an enjoyable read after (nearly) too many gruesome crime books.
Although it's not what I would normally go for, I would probably buy the next book, if my amazon gift certificates hadn't already been used up :p. In my opinion this is a nice read for teenagers,especially ones with a fashion design interest (the problems are relatable) although adults may find it too....um teen-ish?
on 28 December 2014
Ok, this is definitely a YA book, and I am not a YA (sadly) but it is so much fun that an older reader can also enjoy it. Yup, it's a fantasy - an adult would be thinking further ahead - but, ahem, it isn't meant for older folks is it. And, bearing in mind that works of art by the most unlikely painters have been drooled over - just maybe, in your wildest dreams, this could happen. Whatever. It's a fantasy, but a great one. I was completely caught up in it.
on 19 October 2014
A little disappointed in the ending and was expecting more the ending brought no closure and seemed to leave the story hanging.

Other than that a light hearted holiday read, although far fetched and not really a plausible storyline.
on 24 April 2015
A good read. Not something I would normally have chosen. It's more for the younger age group, in my opinion. Nothing wrong with the story, it's well written. I just felt it was more a school girl love story.