Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 December 2008
I keep this in my bag at the moment and carry it with me. Where I love it is in situations like today when I was sitting on the bus in a really vile mood thinking about work. I decided to get the book out and after reading a couple of poems I was smiling. By the time I got off the bus I was in such a different world I wondered what I had been so stressed about! Essentially it lightens you up with gentle humour AND makes you think.
on 8 January 2008
I was given this book as a Christmas gift having mentioned in passing I liked Roger McGough's poetry. I'm no poetry buff/expert but I really cannot put this book down. From the enchantingly funny "The Cats' Protection League' to the tear-jerking 'Defying Gravity' I have found myself both laughing and, at times, crying whilst reading this collection of his poetry.

Buy this book now, you won't regret it (promise).
on 14 January 2011
I might have taken to reading poetry late in life [65], but had we been given up-beat contemporary work to study for 'O' levels I would probably have gained an Eng. Lit. 'O' Level in addition to Eng. Lang.

Roger McGough [member of The Scaffold with their 1968 chart topper 'Lily the Pink'] is now one of the UK's leading contemporary poets. Don't say you will never read another poem at least until you've read some of his work.

I now own several of his books, but you can always try one from the Library before deciding to buy.

Roger McGough's work is topical, light-hearted, very readable and makes a point ring home in a most enjoyable way.
on 14 December 2009
the title says it all mcgough at his best.
funny, sad, heartwarming, a really great book of poems.
on 6 January 2011
great! i got this for a christmas and have adored it ever since. from zombies to cling-film and missing socks to didgeridoo (whatever that is!) there's something in here for every type of person.
on 22 August 2013
I loved it and my grandchildren loved this book too. I would recommend it to other grandparents to give to their offspring.
on 24 October 2014
A brilliant poetry book. I am a primary teacher and hope to use this book a lot.
on 7 December 2014
Great collection - but not definitive - of a great man's work
on 12 March 2010
I am a big, big fan of Roger's poetry the man is a giant! I have a 1 year old grand daughter and I will be reading these poems to her, they are hilarious - read them you'll love them, go on buy the book - the best money you will spend this year! =:0)
on 20 May 2015
It's Roger McGough - can only be good.