• Alias

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 September 2014
I remember the first time I heard the Magic Numbers, they seemed to tap into a bygone type of music that was instantly familiar. The first album had many highlights, and I still listen to some of those songs today (some 10? Years later).
I bought the second album, and admit I didn't like it so much. One or two songs, but apart from that I was disappointed. And that's where me and The Magic Numbers parted company.

So this then - 'Alias'. I heard Shot in the dark and really liked it. It built cleverly with melodic twists and turns. All the way to something that features quite heavily on this album: Romeo really wiggling out on the guitar. Right up my alley (so to speak!)

I've listened several times now. It's great - I love it. I think it will reward repeat listens and those that have rated it low already possibly did so rather flippantly. But music is a funny thing. One man's (or woman's) Beatles is another's One Dimension.

Another thing - the bass is great (to the extent that I put Michelle Stodart into my all stars female supergroup). Sean on drums has created something multilayer and rather special and you can really see Angela's influence strongly coming through now (the female/male vocals throughout push them far out from the herd).

So I endorse wholeheartedly. It's not soft and fluffy anymore. It's edgy and powerful.
on 1 October 2014
I absolutely love this CD... in fact I'd go as far as to say it's one of my albums of the year.

Because I've been a more vague acquaintance of The Magic Numbers' music through previous releases I wouldn't profess to be able to accurately compare this with what has gone before. I read somewhere that the band's 4-year hiatus was due to the fact that they didn't want to release something until they had a group of songs they were totally happy with. For me, they should be very happy indeed.

The opening tracks (Wake Up and You K<no>w) are quite expansive and a step away from atypical indie tunes so this may be not to the immediate taste of fans and perhaps makes it difficult for them to warm to Alias... dare I say they are a touch 'proggy' in their scope? Well, I've said it now!

The next two tracks (Out On The Streets and Shot In The Dark) are probably more in keeping with what they did on their first album and that's no criticism. The follower called Roy Orbison is such a bittersweet song and lovely gem.

There are shades of ELO on E.N.D. and although Accidental Song has elements of Arcade Fire I actually prefer the alternative version on the expanded release that comes with 4 bonus tracks.

I would heartily recommend this album to anyone whether you are a fan of The Magic Numbers or not. The expanded version is definitely worth the extra expense and if you don't get it you will be missing out on more magic.
on 25 August 2014
The Magic Numbers have the ability to write clever melodic songs, I realise that's hugely unfashionable but if you like clever lyrics with great arrangements then it's time to rediscover the Magic Numbsrs. This ltd edition lasts 75 minutes and it never over stays it's welcome. Bravely opening with the six minute Wake Up, this opus shows what a great songwriter Romeo Stobart is, lifting influences from The Beach Boys, The Beatles & cult power pop cult figures such as Jellyfish & The Greenberry Woods this record deserves a huge audience but there's just too many good songs here. The closing 4 bonus songs are alt versions of 4 of the songs here, bonus songs usually mean poor live versions serving as filler. Not here the voices of The Magic Numbers sound like CSN they're that good. Like good intelligent pop music? Buy it.
on 17 January 2016
I had previously loved the magic numbers sound and seen them several times live ...great gigs ! Was dissapointed in this CD felt like they were trying too hard to be grown up moody and complex for me this translated as depressing .None of the tracks made me want to get up and dance .what a shame !!!
on 24 September 2014
I loved the first 2 Magic Numbers albums, and have seen them many times in concert, but, sorry, this album just doesn't do it for me. Its sadly just rather bland and lacking any great melodies. To be filed at the back of the drawer under "don't bother".
on 7 September 2014
I love the MAgic Numbers but this album just simply doesn't compare to their previous ones. It's OK, but I expected more.
on 21 September 2014
Excellent a return to form. Great songwriting and musically tight.
on 26 August 2014
if you like their first album, and have been slightly underwhelmed by the rest, then don t worry!!! This is as least as good as their debut..........what more do you need to say?
on 11 January 2015
Arrived quickly and in good condition. Not as good as their first album but I am enjoying it more as a listen to it again.
on 24 March 2015
latest offerings from a very good bunch of musicians, how they are not massive is beyond me, great album