Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 August 2001
This is a collection of short stories and poems, ideal for bedtime. I borrowed it from a friend and am now buying my own copy as I don't want to give hers back. The stories capture exactly how I want my childrens childhoods to be. Gentle, loving and enchanting. The story of how Alfie adopts a stone as his special friend is especially heartwarming. A beautiful book to be enjoyed by adults and children alike.
on 1 March 2008
I love this book, simple stories full of meaning that your little one will understand, the pictures are wonderful with so much detail. My daughter and I love looking at just the pictures and the book could be enjoyed without any words but of course the words make the it wonderful.
on 31 July 2003
Brilliant, and proof that "realism" does not have to mean narcotics and joy riders on a council estate. Nice things happen in life as well and Ms Hughes celebrates the everyday in such a delightful way.
on 20 July 2013
Bought for a Welsh holiday. Boys (4&2) both loved the tales of the big outdoors. Will buy more in the series
on 28 July 2014
Charming little book.
Often times when I read children's books, my mind wanders, whilst I read on auto-pilot - the end effect being not a very engaging experience for child. I seem to be more switched on when reading this, which is good!

-A few nice stories with a depth of emotion, my bright 4 y/o girl enjoys, and some poetry in there too.

-Nice art work.
on 26 August 2013
Bought when new grandson arrived (guess his name) because I had always loved reading these stories when my kids were little. Beautifully written and illustrated, it has been a joy to revisit the stories, as fresh and delightful as they were all those years ago. Can't wait for my Alfie to be old enough to love them too.
on 30 January 2009
This beautifully written and illustrated book is asked for again and again by my three year old twins. They adore all of the stories and it's definitely sparked their imaginations, whether it's setting up camp with a pretend tent in the living room or calling their pretend shop 'Lewis Burrows and Company'like Alfie's in the book. I'd highly recommend this book to parents wanting to read a gentle bedtime story to their children -you'll enjoy it as much as they will!
on 1 January 2010
Poppy loves this book. It is so nice. No nasty stuff just lovely stories and pictures.
on 30 August 2014
Gorgeous stories and illustrations.Perfect for encouraging imaginative play for those lucky enough to have outside space.Good use of new language for children to learn.Cannot fault any of the Alfie story books.CRolynKillingley.
on 26 February 2014
This is a lovely set of stories, which all my children enjoy. Delightful characters and situations of everyday life. The book was used, but it very good condition as described by the seller.