- Hardcover: 240 pages
- Publisher: Yale University Press (26 April 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0300169787
- ISBN-13: 978-0300169782
- Product Dimensions: 3.2 x 25.4 x 34.3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (88 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 8,912 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty (Metropolitan Museum of Art) Hardcover – 26 Apr 2011
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
"McQueen's brilliance is celebrated in this sumptuous tome that accompanies the Costume Institute's spring retrospective. The hologram cover makes it a collector's item."-Harper's Bazaar Harpers Bazaar "...the definitive reference of Lee Alexander McQueen."-Dean Mayo Davies, I-D Magazine -- Dean Mayo Davies I-D Magazine "Many books will come dedicated to his genius, but Savage Beauty will remain a beacon."-Janice Breen Burns, Sydney Morning Herald -- Janice Breen Burns Sydney Morning Herald "This book ... helps illuminate McQueen's artistic process. Recommended for readers with an interest in contemporary fashion." -Library Journal Library Journal "Excellent catalogue" -The Huffington Post The Huffington Post "For those still wanting to view McQueen's fashion creations, the book shines on." -Lonny Magazine Lonny Magazine " The catalog-with its gorgeous images places alongside provocative, incisive, and often puzzling conversational quotes from the designer himself-makes for an interesting way to get a peek at the show for those of us who won't be lucky enough to make it to New York this summer."-Creative Loafing Creative Loafing "[T]his book itself is a showstopper."-C. Donaldson, Choice -- C. Donaldson Choice "An authoritative and moving insight into the legacy of the British designer."-Carola Long, The Financial Times (Christmas Books) -- Carola Long The Financial Times (Christmas Books) Winner of the Awards for Excellence in 2011, as given by the Association of Art Museum -- 2011 Award for Excellence Association of Art Museum Curators (AAMC) Finalist for the 2011 ForeWord Book of the Year Award in the Art category -- Book of the Year Finalist ForeWord Magazine
About the Author
Andrew Bolton is Curator and Harold Koda is Curator in Charge at The Costume Institute, The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Tim Blanks is contributing editor of Style.com and Susannah Frankel is fashion editor of The Independent newspaper.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
It has got full page glossy images of his designs with snippets of dialogue explaining influences and touches that make the deigns unigue (even though his designs were unique enough). Its a must buy for anyone who is a fan of Mcqueen and a fan of Fashion
The pictures are lavish and at over A4-size they can do full justice to show his clothes both in their form and the exquisite detailing of tailoring and understanding of materials used. Most photographs stand on their own, although they are interspersed with quotations drawn from McQueen himself; these are generally very thoughtful and challenging and complement the photographs well.
The photos cover most of his professional work experience and so serve as a comprehensive introduction. The book follows the exhibition of drawing on the Romantic mind and sets most displays within that context, with that broken down to abstractions and sensibilities of the Gothic, nationalism, exoticism, primitivism & naturalism. There are also introductions that are helpful and informative, and a transcript of an interview with Sarah Burton, who developed her craft under McQueen from assistant to now Head of Design. In total, these make it much more than a simple exhibition catalogue.
This will obviously appeal to anybody who is a student of fashion and I would have thought a must for any enthusiast of McQueen.
I was lucky enough to visit what was truly a world-class exhibition on recommendation from a friend, and I am so glad I did. With no more than a passing interest in 'posh frocks', I left breathless and in complete awe of all that I had seen and the superlative presentation. Obviously, it is difficult for a book to compete with that, but it is challenging and engaging and throws light on his many key influences, and that which he has influenced, be they as diverse as Kate's wedding dress or Lady GaGa, along with many others.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
bought as a gift for my daughter - what a lovely book she was over the moon, exceptional book, exceptional value and servicePublished 16 days ago by KMB
Great purchase. Well packaged. Very happy. Would use this supplier again.Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Fashion
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Textiles
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Guggenheim
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Hermitage
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Louvre
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Musee D'Orsay
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Museum of Modern Art (NY)
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > National Gallery & National Portrait Gallery (UK)
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Pompidou Centre
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Prado
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Tate Modern & Tate Gallery
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Uffizi
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Whitney Museum of American Art
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Photography
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology