on 11 December 1997
Sherlock Holmes fans (a dedicated lot!) might like this novel simply because Sherlock isn't in it. I found the plot to be more espionage/action than mystery. It is obviously the first book in a series; it left loose ends and a villain at large, but was a fast, satisfying read. If you like the 'Sherlock Holmes' milieu, secret societies, the occult, good vs. evil and deeds of derring-do, you will like this book.
on 23 December 1998
Like another reader below me i did not know what to expect from a novel that featured Holmes's older, smarter brother. I enjoyed reading this book very much and read it again while i still had it from the library. I reccommend this book to anyone, you'll be plesently surprised.
on 2 March 1998
Did not know what to expect in view of having not read anything other than Sir Doyle himself. I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the suspense, the method of prose, and moving back to the past and all that it entails. Count me in for Mycroft and any future books. Go for it Quinn!
on 15 August 1998
All in all, this book was a big disappointment! I liked the idea of a story about Sherlock's smarter brother, but I found the story unengrossing and the characters ultimately uninteresting.
on 8 January 1999
A thoroughly enjoyable read. Thank you Dame Jean Conan Doyle for allowing these wonderful stories to continue.
on 10 September 1998
Slow moving book. This is a psuedonym for Chelsea Quinn Yarbro of the St. Germaine books.