Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£4.99

on 18 July 2003
An excellent collection, that I recommend highly. Each short story is a beautifully constructed little scenario, a snapshot of people and their feelings at a particular point in their lives. The attention to detail is amazing, as is the insight into the characters and their personalities. How he keeps the stories so brief, but so lyrical, I can't imagine.
A fantastic read - don't miss it.
0Comment24 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2001
If you ever wondered why people bother to write or read short stories then here is the answer. Perfect little gems that can ask big questions, develop complex characters, and take the reader through a huge emotional range in ten pages. Put down that overweight 800 page blockbuster and give a little time to the stories of William Trevor.
0Comment34 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 November 2009
I first saw William Trevor being very much praised in the Daily Mail Book Review a few weeks ago, so ordered After Rain, a selection of his short stories. I just cannot understand why I didn't know this wonderful writer. I couldn't even find his books in my local WH Smith so will be coming back to Amazon for more. Each story is a little gem and oh so subtle, telling you just so much without spelling it out and leaving you to come to your own conclusions; every sentence is beautifully written, if a little sombre sometimes. I'm only half way through (I only read at bedtime and like to savour each story!) but can't wait for more of William Trevor.
on 13 September 2009
"After the rain" is a collection of 12 short stories where everything fits into place. The impression you have reading them is that of a very detailed narrative, the work of a meticulous craftsman more interested in rendering the shades of things, rather than impressing you with sensational events. It's not always easy to follow William Trevor in such a maze of tiny little details; in a few cases it turns out to be even slightly boring, but most of the time it's fully rewarding. I suppose you have to slow down your pace to deeply understand and enjoy this book. That's why I recommend it to patient readers, able to get excited about the little things of life. Like Harriet, the protagonist of the story that gives its title to the book, who, in a moment of personal epiphany, realizes something she had never realized before: the Annunciation in the church of Santa Fabiola was painted after the rain.

"While she stands alone among the dripping vines she cannot make a connection that she knows is there. There is a blankness in her thoughts, a density that feels like muddle also, until she realizes: the Annunciation was painted after the rain. Its distant landscape, glimpsed through arches, has the temporary look that she is seeing now. It was after the rain that the angel came: those first cool moments were a chosen time".
on 11 December 2013
got this in my local libary;also get second hand books from amazon which are excellent; had never heard of this author and just by chance picked book up; this is really fabulous; sometimes i don't like short stories as they can feel inadequate and incomplete however each story is a gem; and couldnt wait to finish one story to go on to the next; excellent read; have reviewed other items from amazon but never bother about reviewing books but just wanted people to know how good it is
on 30 October 2013
William Trevor is a consummate writer of short stories and this collection is his best. The first story (The Piano Tuners Wives) is the best short story I have ever read. These stories really make you think about what it is to be human, the trials and tribulations we have to suffer and the way others treat us. Having read this collection many times I now own the actual book and have it on my Kindle because I know I shall want to dip into it many more times.
on 29 December 2010
I have never heard about William Trevor until his book of stories "After Rain" was proposed for reading/discussion by a member of our small Reading Group in London. What a pleasant surprise! All stories are very real and believable, written with a lot of subtlety, wit and understanding of human nature. The story that satisfied me least is the title story - it seems to be rather long and is focussed on one idea only. Hence one star missing.... Nevertheless, I intend to read more from this author.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2014
A wonderful collection of short stories which draw you in from the very first sentence.
on 29 November 2009
Another perfect novel by William Trevor. You owe yourself the favor of giving yourself over to it for a day or two. You will be ever thankful you did.
11 comment3 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 April 2014
The Book is in Good Condition, I did not realise it would have a signature inside, nor pen marks under letters. Otherwise it's alright.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse