on 8 July 2002
I had the great chance to see this book at some friends' house and I was fascinated by the pictures and by the text. Those are talking pictures, giving really the idea of the wonder, of the gorgeousness of the African jewelry. The words are telling in a poetic but real way, the
meaning of the jewels. That book left in my mind a dream, to walk on the tracks of Angela Fisher, even though I know that many things have changed in Africa and many of those beautiful jewels already belong to the past. So, many many thanks to Angela Fisher who has given me the chance to see the gorgeous wonders she made everlasting by mean of her book.... (I apologize for my English!!!)
on 19 January 2000
The vibrancy of the artwork and its cultural history/meaning are well portrayed in this book. Angela is a superb photographer bringing out the best in her subjects. It was a joy to go slowly through the book and absorb the wonderful things that make us all so different from each other.
on 28 February 2010
The only possible criticism I could make of this book is its heftiness, which prevents me from carrying it around all over the place. I've been in love with this book ever since I discovered it in my college library when I was studing fashion and textiles, and have recently had the good fortune to obtain a copy of it for my very own. If you are looking for information about tribal costume and jewellery from all regions of the African continent, then you will need look no further than this book. Its content includes detailed documentation, context, as well as a lot of written information. What ever your interest, this book will not dissapoint.
on 5 March 2012
I love this book! My teacher asked for us to bring in our favourite non-fiction book and I just had to bring in this amazing book. I love the pictures and I love the info. It's so good. I used to take no notice of this book but when my mum showed it to me I was so intrigued.
on 20 March 2014
I remember this book from my school library 30 years ago and have wanted it ever since. It is a fantastic book of gigantic proportions and is fascinating. I especially like it for the jewellery and it has given me lots of ideas.