Adverts and trailers on discs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Aug 2011 10:51:58 BDT
jonstillz says:
Some of you may have noticed the number of reviews given one star for the dual-play DVD/Blu-ray release of "Source Code" as result of the disc containing advertisements. My own one-star review should be, or soon will, amongst those reviews.

One individual has stated his beliefs that discs should not be given one star for that reason, that doing so reduces the star rating for a film that may well otherwise be given four or five stars. He goes on to say that the appropriate forum for such comments is the discussion site.

I don't agree that it is not appropriate to give one star because the disc contains advertisements. The purpose of a review is to give comments not only on the movie but also on the presentation of the disc. In this case the disc is very poorly presented and so, in my own opinion, and that of others, deserves one star.

However, I do agree that by opening a discussion on this matter may well be a better procedure to start a movement in order to persuade distributors from including advertisements on their discs, particularly when it is impossible to circumvent those advertisements by going directly to the menu. This also applies to trailers that precede the movie. It is annoying to have to fast forward those adverts and/or trailers each and every time one watches the movie. This annoyance is exacerbated when one already owns the movies for which one is virtually forced to watch the trailers of.

But this is not nearly half as annoying than it is in having to watch advertisements. I was so irritated over these adverts interspersed with the trailers that it spoiled my enjoyment of the film, and spoiled it to such an extent that I will return the disc to Amazon unwatched.

To Amazon's eternal credit they have agreed to accept the return of the disc and to pay the cost of the return postage. Whether or not they will refer the matter to Optimum Releasing I cannot say. I believe the matter has been referred to the appropriate department for review.

I am paying for the movie and any extras contained on the disc. I am NOT paying for adverts for products I have no interest in.

It is my belief that for any disc to contain adverts without first advising the potential purchaser that the disc does contain adverts, either at point of sale or on the disc cover, is an inadequately and/or insufficiently described product and could be in breach of the appropriate consumer legislation.

In view of this belief I will be submitting a formal complaint to the Trading Standards Office and/or the Office of Fair Trading unless I get a satisfactory response from the distributor of this disc.

A satisfactory response would be Optimum's assurance that the practice of including advertisements on future releases will be discontinued. Either that or the option should be given to directly access the menu and thereby skipping the adverts and/or trailers. This is what Disney has done on the discs of theirs that I own. So, full marks to Disney and `nil pointe' to Optimum Releasing/Studio Canal.

In any complaint to the Trading Standards and/or the OFT I will be asking that DVD distributors make potential customers aware of the inclusion of advertisements on their discs prior to purchase, such as "Warning, this disc contains adverts". This will give the purchaser the opportunity as to whether or not to go ahead with the purchase. Unlike, for example, as with magazines, one cannot become aware of the inclusion of any advertisements until after the purchase of the disc. I would not knowingly purchase discs that contained adverts.

Because of Optimum's past policy of including trailers prior to the main menu, without being able to go directly to the main menu in order to avoid the trailers, I have been very wary of purchasing further discs released by Optimum. As it now appears that Optimum's policy is also to include advertisements I will no longer make any further purchases of Optimum's releases.

What exacerbates my dissatisfaction over Optimum's policy of including advertisements on this disc is that, if one post on Amazon's website is correct, then the rental version of this disc does not contain advertisements.

It is outrageous to force advertisements on those who pay good money whilst those who pay very little to rent the film don't suffer the same inconvenience.

As a sign of goodwill, I have asked Optimum to provide me with a free rental copy, although I say this more in hope than expectation.

So, if there others who are equally dissatisfied at having advertisements and/or trailers on the disc that cannot be circumvented by being given direct access to the menu then do as I have done.

Return the disc to the supplier, giving your reasons for doing so, and ask for a full refund, including all postage costs, stating that failure to comply with your request will result in a complaint to your local Trading Standards Office, which has to be done via Consumer Direct.

Also write to the General Manager of the distributor concerned stating that, because you are unable to circumvent the adverts and/or trailers by being given direct access to the menu, you have returned the disc to the supplier requesting a full refund.

If enough of you do this then maybe the distributors will get the message that their policy of failing to give immediate direct access to the menu is not in their best interests.

The ball is in your court.

Posted on 7 Dec 2011 10:08:01 GMT
I have just purchased Source Code,and watched it last night.The film is an excellent film,and in my opinion,probably warrants about 4 star rating.
I was also annoyed at the adverts on the disc,and the inability to " skip" them.The bottom line is they should not be on the disc.But having said all that,I have to say your comments make you sound like a sad person.You must have watched the film,to see the adverts.Why ask for your money back from Amazon ?.....If I were them,I would have told you to get lost.
Also to ask for a copy from the supplier...again,very sad.
I would guess you are one of these people who just has to have something to complain about,which is fine....I complain about poor service myself quite often.But in as much as I myself raised my voice with " why the hell are there adverts on this disc" it ended there,and then I sat back,and thoroughly enjoyed the film.
Your thread has a valid point which I agree with,your actions make you sound a little sad.
Sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2011 10:16:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Dec 2011 12:56:58 GMT
jonstillz says:
Thank you for the insult. It was greatly appreciated.

As I tried to make clear, but perhaps not to you, my argument is that one should not have to pay for advertisements that one cannot skip. If you are happy to do so then that is fine, but please do not insult those who do not react in the same way as you. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the film.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2012 23:30:14 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Feb 2012 23:30:35 GMT
heavy_t says:
I've just submitted my own review, which I hope will appear soon. I think Amazon reviewers' should aim to review the product itself, and not just the movie, and as such I can see why you were so angry and only gave one star. Personally, I thought it was a four star movie, but the presence of these infuriating product adverts meant that I lowered my star rating for the overall product to three stars. Please do not take this as a criticism, as I can well understand why you gave one star.

I know there is a recent trend for including movie trailers, and this is something I have come to grudgingly accept (although I always skip/forward them as a matter of principle), but product advertising is just utterly unacceptable to me, especially as they have tried to prevent you from being able to skip it. I was absolutely furious about this. Unfortunately, the Blu-Ray had sat on my shelf for a while before I watched it (I saw the film at the cinema), so I am not in a position to return the disc. I have however, e-mailed a complaint to Optimum (now Studiocanal apparently).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  25 Aug 2011
Latest post:  25 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Source Code - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Source Code - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD) by Jake Gyllenhaal (Blu-ray - 2011)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (240)