on 15 December 2010
This was a revelation to me. I had been aware of Nouwen's writings for a few years; I used to work in SPCK in York; but I had always thought his writings too difficult for me. This book is a really good way into reading parts of his works but in an accessible way. Each day has a quotation from one of his larger works, a bible reading, a prayer and an action to do for that day. A really enjoyable and thought provoking study for advent.
on 20 January 2010
I have now purchased 2 copies of this book! I read the first one last year and it was so good I passed it on to a friend - then missed it ths year and so I ordered another copy from Amazon. The simple, thought-provoking messages for each day in Advent followed by the twelve days of Christmas to Epiphany were a real blessing - even for a busy working mum. I particularly felt challenged by the section 'Advent Action' which encourages you to 'do' something simple each day to enrich your experience of Advent. This is one book that I will look forward to re-reading at the start of Advent 2010 - again. It brought me back to the heart of Christmas - for the whole season, not just the day.
on 12 December 2011
As an Henri Nouwen 'fan' I was not disapppointed in this compilation for Advent. I would unreservedly recommend this book.
on 2 January 2015
A comforting and guiding companion to be reread year after year. A wonderful gift.
on 30 December 2012
Nice reflections. However, I thought it was a book written by Henri Nouwen. I didn't realise it was only some excerpts from his writings. Nevertheless, it's a good book to buy for Advent meditations.
on 10 June 2014
I found this book very encouraging and helpful in the countdown through the Advent season. Each day there is a little thought, Bible reading, a prayer and an advent action. It does not take long to read through the piece for each day but it is thought provoking and the challenges stay with you throughout the day prompting you towards putting the ideas in action. I would thoroughly recommend this book.
on 10 March 2014
cagalistic, but would be a simple start for some one who was just starting out on a path of Faith
on 5 January 2016