Size: XX-Large|Colour: Beige|Change
Price:£19.99+ £3.30 shipping

on 26 September 2012
As the title of this review suggests, I purchased this item to wear out on photography trips.

Fit

I would usually take a small size but, given the chest sizes quoted on the sizing guide, I opted for the medium size. The fit is just nice, being small enough to not be baggy and cumbersome over just a t-shirt whilst being roomy enough to fit over a thick jumper without restricting movement. The garment is not particularly shaped but this is an advantage here as it allows for it to be worn over various garments.

Pockets

The many and varied size pockets swallowed a great amount of my photography equipment, with pockets to spare. As an enthusiast landscape photographer I routinely carry a Lee 10 filter case which is approximately 21cm x 16cm x 4cm - the large lower pockets were plenty big enough to accommodate this comfortably.

The large back pocket is big enough to accommodate a sitting mat so that sitting for lunch during a photography walk can be comfortable. And with the size allowing for a mat to sit flat a rucksack can be worn comfortably, if anything having a mat there would add to the protection for your back.

There is, however, one disappointing feature of the large lower bellowed pockets, that the zip only runs approximately 3/4 of the way around, causing limited access. Although the pocket material does stretch slightly, the limited access may cause difficulty if you are looking to put something in the pocket that will only just fit and doesn't flex - realistically though anything that big would likely be in a bag anyway.

Design

The design is functional but still looks good enough to wear confidently. Even with the pockets laden up I found that I didn't get the "pack horse" effect that is possible with some garments. The front zip only runs part way up, allowing for a more comfortable, less restrictive fit.

Material

The mesh type material is perfect for warmer weather as it will allow for plentiful ventilation.

Pro's

. Multiple pockets allow for large amounts of equipment to be carried easily, including larger items such as Lee filter cases and sitting mats.
. Garment distributes weight nicely to avoid discomfort or poor fitting when heavily laden.
. Mesh material allows for good ventilation.

Con's

. Large lower pocket zips do not go all the way around the large lower pocket, causing restricted access

Conclusion

All in all, I feel that the garment is well made and fits my requirements perfectly. I struggled to find a garment which would accommodate my Lee 10 filter case, most having pockets which were too small - this was the only one I could find that had big enough pockets and still looked good. The limitations of the zips on the large bellowed pockets is not an insurmountable obstacle.

I had looked at various "photography" vests which were all daft prices of £100 - £150+ and would be more of a compromise than this vest.

All in all, I would say that if you're looking for an all year round vest to carry a large amount in comfort look no further than this vest.
on 15 February 2013
I bought this to try as a cheap alternative to the ludicrously overpriced photographer's vests on the market. I only received it today so have not used it in the field yet, but it looks quite rugged. Amazingly, it can accomodate my DSLR body (without a lens attached), 18-50mm lens, 70-300mm lens, 10-24mm lens, cable release, filters, spare battery, tiny 6" long tripod, and the massive rear pocket swallows my 10" tablet with ease. It will actually take my 15" laptop, but this spoils the comfort somewhat. With all that kit onboard there are still some small pockets empty!

I ordered the XL size after referring to the sizing chart and it's a perfect fit. It was despatched promptly and is as described. I understand (and somewhat share) peoples' frustration regarding the limited access to the larger pockets (because the zips don't go all the way around) but I can fit my DSLR body in 1 and my 70-300mm lens in the other so for me at least it's not a huge issue.
on 6 August 2013
The poachers pocket is impressively big. It should easily take a sweater.
However, the chest pockets are rather shallow. A spectacle case (and presumably a phone) have to be carefully worked in, which is a bit fiddly.
No inside pocket for a wallet, but the pockets are zipped, so no big problem, provided it is no longer than a spectacle case.
At the price, around £20 this is very good value.
Build quality looks very robust indeed. It is cool in hot weather.
I bought an XXL. For casual shirts I usually buy XL, but for winter shirts I buy XXL. My chest is around 44 inches when I inhale. I would feel restricted in an XL version of this vest, and I do not look like I am wearing a tent, with the XXL.
on 8 April 2013
I bought this to carry items around the house as I am on crutches having recently sustained a broken leg. I agree with the other reviewers that the gilet arrived swiftly and was exactly as described. The pockets are made of a sturdy canvas material that seems very durable and the mesh is a lightweight nylon. Medium size is generous but not overly baggy and would go over a coat/fleece etc. The pockets are very roomy and more than adequate to carry several large items including a small flask of coffee!
on 1 May 2012
Highly pleased with Gilet.

Arrived promptly and well packaged.

Exactly matched description on Amazon.

Well made and durable item, ideal for use.

Highly recommended all round.
on 4 March 2013
... and holds pretty much everything I need - made a great vehicle for walkman, camera, passport, documents, wallet, keys, paperbak, notepad (the old fashioned, paper, type of notepad, that is) while travelling by air, and means you can use a much smaller backpack when hiking.
on 17 May 2013
The jacket is well made and the stitching and whole jacket feels very robust, the main zip is chunky and works well,
a good summertime jacket to put over a t-shirt and has lots of pockets to carry things in, I am very happy with this purchase.
on 1 July 2013
I bought this as I am due to fly with Ryan Air and don't want to pay 50 quid for baggage.
It seemed rather bulky when I took it out of the packaging but it actually fits well and I don't look like a Michelin man in it.
It isn't obvious that it is a fisher's jacket and I won't feel stupid wearing it.
The only thing is the back pocket, brilliant for my netbook, but it would have been good to be able to detach this pocket as it does stick out a bit even when empty. Only a minor thing though.
I might change my mind when I've filled it with "luggage", but hey if it gets me more stuff on board I don't care and I can wear it at other times less well packed.
It will be useful wearing it to football matches, save taking a bag through the turnstiles.
on 11 September 2012
I was a bit reticent about buying this jacket but i was very happy with what arrived.

The jacket is well made and the stitching and whole jacket feels very robust couple that with the price its a must buy.

great price for a great jacket i am very happy with this purchase.
on 9 January 2014
Like this product - plenty of pockets and seems good quality. Bought for photography rather than fishing. Ask the supplier for sizing as the Amazon chart is not a lot of use - it really depends on what you want to wear under it.
Started off with XL based on Amazon chart - supplier kindly changed it for a medium! Dimensions for these two sizes per supplier's list:
XL: 48in chest, 29in body length
M: 44in chest, 27in body length
The actual chest measurements were just under 2in more than above.
Recommended.