Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Jul 2007 01:32:20 BDT
Is it just a different cover?

We only have 1 version in the US, but I've ordered the UK releases. I've been told that some colo(u)rful colloquialisms have been subtracted from the American versions, since we're apparently dumber on this side of the pond. We don't even know what the Philosopher's Stone is. We have a sorcerer's one instead.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2007 20:43:28 BDT
I would like to know how the adult version differs from the children's version as well. I am considering ordering the adult books just to find out. I own all seven American books and the first six English books - children's versions. (I'm waiting for my English Deathly Hallows to arrive!)

I've noticed small differences such as spellings and colloquialisms, but other than that the books seem to be virtually the same. I really don't know why the first book was renamed Sorcerer's Stone. Good question.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2007 20:56:09 BDT
SLV Joe says:
I did a quick and dirty google search and found this on the wikipedia website...

"...The series has also gathered adult fans, leading to two editions of each Harry Potter book being released (in markets other than the United States), identical in text but with one edition's cover artwork aimed at children and the other aimed at adults...."

...hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2007 18:42:27 BDT
Lagorio says:
It was re-named The Sorcerers Stone in America because people felt that Philosopher's Stone conveyed an incorrect idea of the subject matter (due to a discrepancy between English and American definitions of "philosopher"). The Philosophers Stone is a legendary substance, supposedly capable of turning inexpensive metals into gold; it was also sometimes believed to be a means of making people younger. For a long time it was the "holy grail" of Western alchemy.

It is nothing to do with a Philosopher - being a person who offers views or theories on profound questions in ethics, metaphysics, logic, and other related fields.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2007 00:10:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Sep 2007 00:11:51 BDT
Timmy K. says:
So of course instead of leaving it the way it is supposed to be, and educating the American audience about what Philosopher's Stone is, they erred on the side of "treating the American audience as if they are all morons". I'm an American and I knew what a Philosopher's Stone was when I was a small kid. I learned it from reading something about it, like many kids could have learned about it from reading Harry Potter.

One thing I've wondered is did they leave it the correct way in the UK version of the film, or did you get stuck with the "Sorcerer's Stone"? They would have had to have two different versions of a couple of scenes. If so I might pick up the UK DVD out of curiosity.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2007 15:58:31 BDT
S. Gemmell says:
The film was 'The Philosopher's Stone' over here in the UK, fortunately.
Sadly the American misnomer of Northern Lights (The Golden Compass?!) has taken charge of the upcoming film, so no doubt they'll rerelease the book to tie-in with the wrong title.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2008 23:53:32 BDT
The Polish, French & Danish Versions are "the Philosopher's Stone"

Posted on 26 Jul 2009 13:35:41 BDT
Essex 'girl' says:
Jennie says
Harry Potter audio tapes are the best sleeping potion I know - spend a lot of time re-winding tapes! Glad to hear that the children's version is the same as the adult except for the cover - just about to buy a cd set so thank you - saved me a lot of money!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2009 21:00:44 BDT
touchy, touchy .. you want to try being non-american, (including countries that don't have english as their mother-tongue), having to watch a daily dose of american tv programmes, or films, where the aliens always land just outside NY, or LA, the Entrerprise etc has the stars-and-stripes all over it .. the villains are english, or from some other country, and americans are always shown to be fundamentally first-amongst-equals .. kettle and pot methinks
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  26 Jul 2007
Latest post:  21 Aug 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Leather Bound - Nov 2000)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (1,717)