on 28 March 2014
this is a new way of working for me as this book does not follow the conventional approach of going through technique from basic to advanced. instead it goes through a series of practical projects - from basic to advanced. this means that it is not really good as a reference book to look up how to do something specific. however - it does work well in getting you up and running quickly. It was a great book which helped me to learn this software in notime and got me to do what I wanted to do. for really specific things and advanced technique, I had to look on the internet.
on 28 April 2013
After Effects is a great programme with a steep learning curve. Strangely, by default some of the controls -- such as corner handles -- do not work the same as in other Adobe programmes and, for instance,when you re-size something by dragging along an edge it re-sizes in both directions from the centre, which is somewhat counter-intuitive. These are a couple of the reaqsons why I was compelled to buy this book. I have not been disappointed. It is really excellent at slowly inculcating lasting knowledge of this -- one o Adobe's most powerful programmes and one of the industry standards for post-production. Worth every penny.
on 23 February 2014
Use this. The way the lessons work with the materials is just perfect. I got through the book in a week on my lunch breaks at work, and have used the knowledge gained in my job already. Perfect!
I'm having great difficulties getting the link to the practice files on the kindle edition....and that's frankly what you buy this book for. There's a link 'click here' to a hidden page in the book I think....it's not waking as a link and Peachpit unlike other ebook suppliers don't just easily list the files....they are hidden. Emailing publisher at the moment and just going through all my kindle readers in turn. This is very frustrating.

Update. Through contents you can find the missing link on a kindle ereader (Amazon)at the bottom of the contents listing. But forget Kindle readers for Windows8 (tablet and desktop) or iPad. It's not there and won't work if you "click here". Irritating beyond belief

And then......the next day, with still no response from a human at Peachpit, to download the material I had to download Java (I avoid normally due to poor security, so it's coming straight off afterwards). then it refused to download all the zip files in one go due to a missing component, so I'm stuck going through each individual chapter file. Honestly, it would be almost quicker to purchase the dead tree version at the higher price for the hoops this is putting me through. If I hadn't sued this series to learn Adobe products for a few years I'd have given up and got a refund yesterday.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2013
If you are serious about your Adobe products this book will help you go from amateur to accredited professional - great read, well laid out and packed with examples.
on 26 April 2013
Really good. Comes with assets to help with learning and is really informative and useful. Clear pictures and nicely made!
on 5 June 2013
Adobe After Effects is designed for the professional user and is not as intuitive or straightforward for the beginner as an Ap.

If you want to get started quickly this book, which comes with all the files for the tutorials on a CD, is a very effective way to get you up and running. I love it!
on 3 March 2013
I really do enjoy these books - they are great for those just starting out and maybe intermediates who use but don't always understand why they are doing things - AE can be confusing!

Great series, well written but nothing really new for the professionals!
on 18 July 2013
i like the book it is usefully for the first timer on after effect you can learn by yourself
thanks
on 23 September 2014
Nothing but brilliant. Had these over a year and have taught me well. Occasionally refer back to them as a reminder but would recommend to anyone not familiar with the package. I got this with Illustrator book too so I can vouch for the consistency of the brand.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse