Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 May 2012
I loved this book, and as an actor I find it helpful for both scene and monologue work/auditions. I've had the pleasure of working with John Abbott and this book contains his witty, easy-going manner which makes it all the more enjoyable to read. I've only had it a couple of weeks and have already read it twice. I'd recommend it anyone interested in acting and character work.
on 14 March 2013
I would recommend this book to students and directors. But beware. It is not written in a scholarly fashion, and the author assumes the reader is very young.
At one point, the author embarrassingly includes this 'poem', which is really a set of rules written for his students. He is obviously very proud of this. Trouble is, it's completely awful. Dreadful. It seriously reads like a 14 year old wrote it, beaming with pride. Still, he's proud of it.

The author plugs future books, and previously written books in the body of the book too. This is crass, and he seems desperate for recognition and acknowledgement as a writer.

On the plus side, some very easy to read and follow exercises on acting. With some insightful anecdotes about ArtsEd, and their teaching philosophy, which may or may not totally put you off ever studying, or hiring an actor from there.
on 15 September 2013
I think if you're a teacher of acting you will find this book a really useful resource. Highly recommended. Loads of great excercises to use with groups, probably from about 14 yrs up. His other books about improvisation and impro in rehearsal are also good.