on 13 November 2013
Only using my Ultra book for a few days now but really enjoying it, takes some time to get used of windows 8 - you have to be prepared to give it time! The quality of the screen is excellent. Sound is quite good for a laptop. Photos look great and with the touch screen photos can be enlarged with little reduction in photo quality. From lifting the lid to fully started up is less than 10 seconds - works very like a tablet. Yes it is expensive but its a great cross between a tablet and laptop, thanks to the touch screen which works really well. The keyboard is light sensitive and lights up automatically when needed. I am having some issues with the spacebar key not always being recognised - its less sensitive than my old laptop but I guess I will get used of this. Its a lovely quality, the keys are nice - I'm a touch typist and find it good. The glassy white lid is lovely - although finger prints is a bit of an issue but with white its not as bad as some of the black glossy lids. It has 2 USB 3.0 - which is good for an ultra book, also has a HDMI slot and the bit I really like an SC card slot - great for uploading my photos. Another feature which many ultra books don't have is a webcam great for Skype. Its really light. Mine came with a lovely sleeve cover. The laptop opens 180 degrees, the screen can be rotated. Looking forward to the next few weeks finding out all the features - I will update my review once I've explored it in more detail. But so far love it and really happy with my choice.
44 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 March 2014
I had some difficulty getting hold of this model (S7-392 i7) - there appear to be supply issues in Europe. Dispatch was quick. I liked the laptop but was annoyed by the fact it came with an EU power cable. For a cost of £1500, I think they should have included a UK adapter. It has been impossible to find an Acer UK adaptor online and the problem with the generic ones is that they are black (the Ultrabook and cable are white/grey ). This is irritating.
on 15 March 2014
I love this laptop. I never review anything I purchase, but I have made an exception. I purchased the i7, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD model. I've been using it for 2 months now. I wanted a machine that will last me for a few years. The boot up and shutdown are really fast. It's light, thin, quiet and looks good. The illuminated keyboard is a good feature. The touchscreen, touchpad and keyboard are responsive. An expensive purchase, but it's worth it.
on 5 May 2014
I've been using my new laptop for a few days now, and I'm delighted with it. It's actually exciting to use; just the same sort of feeling I got 20 years ago when I had my first Gateway computer. I haven't found anything to dislike about it, and believe me I've tried. It's perfect for Windows 8, which I've been using for over a year on a Surface, so I'm well used to it.

Most excellent features are the incredible design, crisp display, almost instant startup, silence, and the best keyboard I've ever used. I'm a touch typist and I find that I can get a good speed going with this keyboard. Like everything, you have to get used to the new keyboard layout, but that doesn't take long. The screen can fold right back 180 degrees to that you can share the display with those you are working with; super in my job as a Business Analyst.

It also comes with a tight-fitting case, which allows me to carry it about like an A4 notepad.

Highly recommended.
on 19 December 2013
It's super light but feels sturdy due to the slab of gorilla glass at the back of the screen. I could carry this around all day and not feel strain on my shoulder. The hinge adds to the sturdiness as well when in use. At first I wasn't convinced about how this could be a feature but it makes sense when start poking at the screen.
The keyboard suited me the most, I'm coming from owning a dell xps m1330 for five years. Still not the same but I've tried almost all other ultra book keyboards and this is the most comfortable. There's a bit more travel in the keys as opposed to the fruity air variety of laptops, which made the difference for me. However I still need to get used to the layout, the arrows keys are a little small and the del key is in an odd position.
The screen is nice enough. I'm running at 2560x1440 which is the default (recommended) resolution but I feel I need to get laser eye surgery to really appreciate it. No fault of the screen just my eyes aren't good enough :-) I tried running at the resolution below but everything seemed slightly blocky. Begs the question of whether we need this kind of resolution on smaller screens.
The battery has also been good enough but not reached what I expected. On a full charge I can program in visual studio, watch an hours worth of video, and do some reading and browsing for about 4 hours. If I was doing less I may get 7 hours but what good is a laptop on standby? 4 hours is still good so lets hope they can actually reach 7 hours, with heavy usage, in the next few years.
Finally the worst thing about this laptop is windows 8. I know Microsoft are trying to gain traction in the touch market and force you into "Metro" mode as much as they can but it just doesn't work. It's slow and the store has nothing in it. I searched for a youtube app but the only thing there was made by a third party vendor. The tiles look too busy and I'm just not interested in even sorting it out. It's just too clunky and doesn't give me what I need in a quick fashion. What a shame.
44 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 May 2014
When you buy a new bit of technology, it takes a while to prime yourself on the eccentricities of the beast and to come to terms with the new technology. Every couple of weeks I found something that irked me with the Aspire S7. Often I thought it must be me just not getting it until someone younger and wiser would sometimes agree that yes, it was my stupidity, but increasingly the errors list with the technology grew with issues that were not to do with my ignorance. First a VGA malfunction when trying to connect to projector even confounded my bright nephew and in the end we had to resort to another laptop. It was a faulty connector supplied with the unit!

Then a the wireless card just didn't seem to be connecting well with various different wi-fi set ups but because I was using the laptop at home mostly I just wasn't convinced it was that bad; the mouse started to lose sensitivity, I changed batteries but still it was unreliable; then the mouse pad seemed to only work if you clicked it in a certain way; the mains lead was accidentally kicked out of the socket and would not fit back properly but its design was always too puny; eventually it failed altogether.....which made me return the unit after several months of growing frustration.

After the unit was assessed by Acer (via John Lewis) I was vindicated on almost all counts. There was an issue with the wireless card, it needed to be replaced; there was also a problem with the mousepad and the mouse and these too need to be replaced. I haven't yet had a full response regarding the mains cable but I think this is down to poor design.

The S7 is a sexy little laptop, looks good, the touch screen works well but the growing number of faults I experienced on a brand new unit are just unacceptable. If it worked properly, I'd give it 4 or 5 stars but I can only give it 1 star. Very disappointing.
on 27 November 2013
For anyone wondering this model is the one with the full WQHD 2560 x 1440 screen, despite support saying it isn't and also there being conflicting specs on Acers website.

With that out of the way..

If you are a fan of backlit keyboards, this is not for you. Anyone who puts blue-green light behind silver keys needs their head examined, it is almost useless and is more of a hindrance than anything. The screen could be a wee bit brighter with slightly better viewing angles, but it's not a deal breaker, it just slides by and no more. They are not as good as the Dell XPS range which so far seems to be the closest thing to a Mac display.

Good wireless speeds and connectivity, track pad (Elan and not synaptics for some reason) is also fine. The keyboard is also perfectly ok to type on. The rest of the features speak for themselves, no need to bore anyone with it.
on 19 February 2015
After a discussion with the supplier all missing accessories were sent - fabulous ultrabook at a very good price - flawless as described - as new.
Win 8.1 very different but nothing to do with this high powered sleek and elegant laptop.
Screen resolution amazing - best I have viewed.

Highly recommended.
on 30 December 2014
Good ultrabook but too thin for my liking as it flexed a little and I made me curious whether it would stand the test of time.
Specification of this laptop is brilliant and comes with a nice handy sleave too.
on 10 November 2014
I had a very disappointing experience. The machine originally seemed good, although I too had problems with space bar presses sometimes not registering. After less than three weeks of minimal use the notebook completely failed.

Acer's representatives asked me to send it back to them and quoted 5 to 7 days for a repair. On receipt of the unit they diagnosed a faulty SSD. However, after keeping the netbook for nearly a month, they said that they could neither repair nor replace it and issued a refund.

A level of service that is simply not appropriate for a business user like me.