Get started in web development using PHP. Even if you've never programmed before, author Jason Lengstorf introduces you to PHP by building a PHP-based blogging site while covering all the good coding practices and skills that you'll need when you start your own projects.
- Create web content with version 5.3 of PHP
- Learn good coding practices from the very beginning
- Learn how systems like WordPress work
Jason Lengstorf takes a practical approach to teaching you how to build a content management system. You'll dive into writing web applications and be guided by the author's supportive explanations, rather than learning elements of the PHP language and viewing examples after.
PHP for Absolute Beginners starts slowly and covers everything you need to know about beginning web development using PHP. Even the most inexperienced web developer will find this book accessible.
What youll learn
- Install Apache, MySQL, and PHP
- Navigate the PHP language
- Learn the basics of writing clean code
- Talk to a database
- Make a PHP site more secure
- Create a complete blogging site
Who this book is for
PHP for Absolute Beginners is written for the complete novice; no previous coding knowledge is assumed, and all concepts are explained to ensure maximum understanding.
However, later chapters in the book may appeal to intermediate programmers looking to improve their abilities in the area of developing content management systems or those interested in making the move from procedural code to the more modular object-oriented approach.
Table of Contents
- Setting Up the PHP Development Environment
- Understanding PHP: Language Basics
- Passing Information with PHP
- Working with Databases
- Building the Entry Manager
- Adding Support for Multiple Pages
- Updating and Deleting Entries
- Adding the Ability to Upload Images
- Syndicating the Blog
- Adding a Commenting System to Your Blog
- Adding Password Protection to Administrative Links
- Finishing Touches