Customer Discussions > Final Fantasy XIV Online (PS3) forum

About the FFXIV Monthly Fee

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 May 2011 21:24:49 BDT
Mafinha says:
I get it that there are lots of MMORPG games out there that charge monthly fees but they started charging years ago.

Does SquareEnix really think that if they release a game in 2010/2011 in which there is going to be some monthly fee up to $15 people will buy it they are wrong. Many people are already saying they're not buying the game because of those fees!
We are in an global economic crisis, do they actually believe that the kids' parents and the college students or even the adults who want to play will be willing to waste $15 a month (after 1 year it's $180 you wasted + internet fees)?? Plus, if there's the monthly fee why the hell do we need to pay £37.89 to have the game???

Honestly, it'd better be free to play or you can count me out, and I know I'm not alone.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2011 13:57:24 BDT
Paying a monthly subscription is acceptable if the game will be patched & updated accordingly. Going back to say, World of Warcraft, £8.99 a month paid for Blizzard to be able to spend more time and money on the game improving it. It also went towards paying GM's (Game Masters) who were online to help solve issues for gamers. I've never played FF online, but do plan to on this 1, regardless if there's a charge or not. Time will tell if it's a rip off or if i'll continue to pay & play, But im going to give it a chance. If after a year YOU are still playing it, then its not $180 wasted. You've obviously enjoyed playing it enough to continue month after month. Internet fees you would most likely be paying for regardless of having this game or not.
With 12 million players worldwide (apparently) a monthly charge is obviously acceptable for WoW users.
Ofcourse you won't be alone if you refuse to buy the game and pay for online subscriptions, but that won't stop them charging 1 when a lot more people will pay it.
On the other hand, if there are never to be any updates ( like i said before, never played an FF online, im not sure how they work) then i expect many a people, like me, will buy it, rip through the online content, complete what i can, then cancel the subscription.
From past MMO's i've experienced, a monthly subscription (if a little overpriced) generally means that payment goes towards something rather than £8.99 in their back pocket.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  12 May 2011
Latest post:  15 May 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Final Fantasy XIV Online (PS3)
Final Fantasy XIV Online (PS3) by Square Enix (PlayStation 3)
3.0 out of 5 stars   (2)