Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 20 August 2015
This was the first of Benedict Ashforth's books that I had read and for some reason Amazon have decided to remove my previous review so I will start again (Amazon, if you're going to ask people for reviews then have the decency to leave them up for others to read)
This is a classic English Ghost story written very much in the style of the great suspense Masters, Edgar Allen Poe, Graham Masterton and James Herbert.
The reader is drawn in from the outset and I for one couldn't put the book down with the pace building throughout to a final twist that keeps you thinking long after putting the book down.
If you want a good book to sit down with on a cold winters night then this is definitely the one.
Read and enjoy.
on 12 September 2014
This is a story about an ancient curse overpowering modern-day characters. The story is set in 1980, before mobile phones and email. A lawyer receives a letter from his troubled brother, which draws him to the namesake old house, Abbot’s Keep. The build up in suspense is superb. The house — beside the Thames, dating back to the dissolution of the monasteries — is wonderfully evoked. Events build to a very scary climax as we learn just what the troubled brother got up to, and why. You’ll want to read this story in one go, but you’ll want to think twice about doing so late at night! Reminiscent of Susan Hill’s Woman In Black, this ghost story is expertly crafted and highly recommended.
on 24 April 2014
A taut, tense tale set in the apparent serenity of the English countryside, 'Abbot's Keep' is beautifully told by an emerging author who looks set to become a household name in classic gothic fiction. I know this writer well and thoroughly enjoyed his latest spooky story. It's compulsively written and extremely chilling. Get ready to be very, very afraid ...
on 16 July 2014
Reminiscent of early Hill, with distinct Poe and James inspired elements, yet fresh and unique enough to make me excited about the future of the Ghost Story for the first time in years.

A fantastic debut from an author I will be watching closely.
on 3 March 2016
I love classic English ghost stories (M R James, Algernon Blackwood, Russel Thorndike) so I was really in for a treat with this one. I was gripped from the first page and couldn't put it down till the last. Thoroughly enjoyable and pretty darn scary.
on 1 December 2014
If I was capable of writing a book of this quality I'd be very pleased so what follows is not meant destructively.

In MY opinion it started as a ghost story and then became a horror story. I loved the atmospheric build up - but when the killings abruptly started it seemed as if the author had reached a point and had no idea what to do next. The expletives albeit few detract from the overall effect.

Finally, the plot was a bit one dimensional as it lay, the bit about Fox at the end might have been made more of. So in summary, great start then sudden lurch into blood & guts, terminating in an uninspiring trudge up the beach.

Nevertheless I'm goint to try another one of this guys books. We can't all be M R James from a standing start.
on 30 June 2015
A well written and engaging example of the genre - suitably tense and horrific! I found myself holding my breath at times and it sent chills down my spine. It's hard to find authentic ghost stories today - a great read.
on 21 November 2014
I found this to be a very enjoyable, albeit short, story. It is a bit naughty of Amazon not to have stated that this is a novella, not a novel. I read it in one sitting and, although I did not find it scary, it is a good read. It's a shame that the author did not develop it into a full novel, there is definitely the potential there for him to have done so.

It is written in the former of letters, between husband and wife and from an estranged brother, the latter making up most of the story.

I would recommend this to anyone who fancies a quick read - 125 pages of rather good storytelling. I look forward to reading a full novel from this writer
on 15 November 2014
Although this is a rather short story of around a hundred pages long, it is nevertheless quite spooky and absorbing. A lawyer goes out in search for his brother, after he receives a letter from him detailing his visit to the mysterious abbot's keep. It is the haunting start of an intriguing tale of long buried secrets, sinister apparitions and suspensful mystery. The book is very well written and you will want to finish it to find out what happens. All in all, a very decent offering.
on 13 July 2014
This was an old-fashioned ghost story. It really is eerie. The story is narrated through a series of letters and really makes you wonder what the outcome is going to be. I loved the ending.