**AVG Internet Security 2013**

I installed AVG Internet Security 2013 on a laptop running Windows 7 with AVG 2012 already installed and the installation was very straightforward. I did a custom installation and opted NOT to install email protection (I use Yahoo! web based email and they provide the necessary security) or the AVG firewall - the Windows firewall is more than adequate.

There is one very annoying aspect to the installation. You have to uncheck three boxes where AVG offer to be your default search provider, set AVG secure search as your homepage and install a pointless browser security toolbar. It's quite ironic that Internet security software should attempt to hijack your browser...

The layout is OK and appears to mimic Windows 8. There are five tabs - Computer, Web Browsing, Identity, Emails & Firewall - that show the status of the ones you have installed and if everything is running OK they're clearly marked as 'Protected'. There''s also a Scan tab, a Speed Test tab and four further tabs - that I object to being on a paid for anti-virus package - where AVG try to flog you more of their software.

Going into the Options drop down menu (I'm not sure why it not one of the tabs), you can setup AVG to carry out scheduled scans, decide when it should update (I've set it to update every 15 minutes), select what action it should take when finding a virus, scan individual files and folders, select what notifications you want to appear in your Windows Taskbar, etc. It's all very comprehensive.

When running a scans it works away quietly in the background. There are four scan speed settings with the lowest using less RAM if you're working on your PC. It'll depend on how much data you have on your PC but it manages to scan mine in under 1 hour.

AVG Internet Security 2013 appears to be a decent anti-virus package but time will tell. A couple of years ago AVG 2011 let a Trojan get onto my laptop and it only discovered it during a scheduled scan. It was able to quarantine it but not delete it and I had to use the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to delete it.

***Update: Despite declining their offer to set AVG as my default search provider, set AVG secure search as my homepage and install the AVG browser security toolbar when installing AVG Internet Security, a week after installation I received a pop-up offering the options again. Totally unacceptable and I now rate this 3 Stars***

**TuneUp Utilities 2013**

There's plenty of free utility software available but TuneUp Utilities carries out all the functions under one roof and, with TuneUp 1-Click Maintenance, one click of your mouse. It digs deep into the workings of Windows and you can tailor it to your requirements. If you regularly maintain your PC you might not notice too much difference but if you don't you should notice improvements in boot-up and shutdown times and the overall speed of your PC. It can optimize your PC, clean it, fix problems and you can also use it to customize Windows.

The menu layout is a little confusing and could be better but once you get used to it, it's quite easy to use and what certain functions will do is clearly explained. Any task that it carries out can be undone if you find that it negatively affects your PC's performance.

The best feature is TuneUp 1-Click Maintenance where with a single mouse click you can enable it carry out any or all of the following and clear out all the junk that accumulates on your PC:

- Clean the registry
- Defragment the registry
- Remove broken shortcuts
- Clean up Windows and programs
- Clean up browser(s)
- Optimize System startup & shutdown
- Defragment the hard drive

I regularly use free utility programs to maintain my PC but TuneUp Utilities 2013 is still well worth investing in. It's reduced the time it takes for my PC to startup and shutdown and it's so much easier to maintain with one program. Provided you take the time to understand the sometimes confusing array of tabs and menus and what certain functions will do, you should definitely notice an improvement in the overall performance of your PC.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
AVG 2013 4 pc 1 year subscription.
I run a design company and we have used most of the virus / malware offerings out there over the last few years so have some experience with this sort of software.

This software comes with a free copy of Tune-up Utilities 2013.

What you get

The AVG disk and the Tune-up disk with serial number cards in a DVD case.

You will need to remove any other makes of antivirus software first as the installations stops and asks you to do this first. I recommend you do this off line so that nothing nasty can jump in while you change over. With previous AVG installations it just does and upgrade.

You will need to type in the serial number and register to get the full version serial number. This is easy but it does take few minutes. Once loaded the software connects to the internet and downloads the latest updates. Having used most other antivirus software out there this seems the way of them all.
Once updated the software does a scan which does not take that long on my SSD based i% 16 GB machine. It did find a few bits of Malware which my old version never found. It looks like the new version has a better Malware detection system.

In use

Basically you can load it and forget it. For those inclined to do more detailed analysis the new AVG interface is based on the new Windows 8 tile system. It's easy to use and navigate. Each part of the system has a tile graphic and has a reassuring tick in it to show it's working and up to date etc. There is also a built in email scanner which does slow down incoming emails very slightly but it is reassuring that it checks for any bad software for you on the fly.

Scans

There are customizable scans, from full, quick and file scan. All are easy to use and you can set the speed priority so you can still work while the scan is in progress. The system has been well throughout for ease of use.
The Tune-up Utilities disk
This is a suite of software which sorts out registry and disk problems and makes the system more efficient and reliable. I have used this before and it does keep the system running smoothly.

Overall

AVG 2013 is a well respected anti-virus suite. The bonus of Tune up utilities makes it very good value to. Having used Norton and Kaspersky on other machines you pays your money and takes your choice but for me this year's AVG has the edge on price and performance. It has been well reviewd in the computer press.
Only the test of time will tell how good it is really but for ease of use, setting up and information is scores very high in my opinion.

A more exaustive test

As I run an IT business I have lots of computers and ran a comparative test using a set of virus signitures we use to test this sort of softwares effectiveness, we can't afford to loose time debugging machines. This version of AVG only missed one minor annoyance Malware item (last years version got the lot though !!), Norton missed 4 including a more serious Trojan32 (and took ages to scan), Kaspersky found them all but could not clear them all and suggested submitting a virus report and flagged some clean files as Malware for some reason and it took quite a long time to scan. My advice is you need Internet protection because it's not if you are attacked it's when now and all the main stream packages will do the job. Also a virus checking system is constantly evoloving as new threats are detected and it's now a must have software item irregarless of brand.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 February 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This package should be able to be described as the ultimate Internet Security and Tuneup package, however it doesn't quite live up to that standard.

I have trialed both AVG Internet Security and PC TuneUp Utilities for a number of years, however, this has always been as standalone products rather than a combined package.

AVG used to be a well respected Internet Security package, however seems to have lost its way in recent years and isn't able to detect all the infections that many other packages are able to. I also noticed a problem in the past that they would provide buttons for services like backup, cleanup etc and this made it seem like a premium product. However, when clicked, it prompted you to purchase an add on, which clearly wasn't worth the money!

I am pleased to report that much of this necessary advertising has now been removed, although some still remains e.g. it scans your computer for problems, then says you need to purchase a product to remove them (seems more like malware than anti-malware!) In addition to this, if you install the TuneUp Utilities, and then try to run the AVG cleaner, included within the AVG suite, a message pops up stating that TuneUp Utilities has to be uninstalled first. Therefore, they seem to have included 2 competing pieces of sofware in the same box, which can't be installed at the same time!

TuneUp Utilities 2013 has been updated so that it now supports the latest version of Windows (Windows 8). It is also packed with useful tools such as disabling programs from loading on system start up so that boot time is reduced, deleting files and registry items which are no longer required and deletes data from hard disks securely. Furthermore, a lot of these tasks run automatically once the initial configuration has been completed, which is based on your own personal preferences (such as whether you want system performance or quality of graphics).

Based on the range of tools and services which it offers, this package is probably one of the best, however, I'm still not sure it really makes that much difference to the speed of my computer. That said, I have just recently installed Windows 8 on my computer using the clean install method and so all the old files which cause delays probably hadn't built up to a critical level. It still managed to find 500 problems though!

It's a very similar package to the last couple of years in which I have used it, with a few tweaks to the overall performance of the package. The only difference is that this year, various parts have been translated into German (!) and so makes no sense whatsoever to the user. Quite frequently, a warning message will pop up, which is completely in German and as I am not proficient in this language, I have no idea what it wants to do. I imagine this will be fixed in due course, however, if you have the 2012 version, maybe stick with it until this problem is fixed as I prefer to know what's happening, before it happens. I did run the 2012 version on Windows 8 and there doesn't seem to be any compatibility problems.

Overall, it's a very mixed package and there seems o be no logic in packaging them both together considering not all the components can be installed on the computer at the same time! Therefore, I can only deduce that it has been a marketing ploy, that has somewhat backfired, and in any event, AVG isn't the best security suite out there. However, it is cheap and still provides decent protection, assuming normal internet browsing precautions are taken.
on 12 December 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Upon installation you have to input the serial number into one box and then again into another box after you receive an email with a new serial number. You get the option to do an auto install or custom. Its best to click on custom I find as otherwise you end up with a toolbar installed on internet explorer, your browser and home page changed which you don't want really. Unless you want to add browser safety but I've known this idea to slow down the browser so am not using it.

I don't like the fix it performance button as this will fix things but you have to pay for it to be fixed if you get my drift or use the included free CD Tune up Utilities. I just hate this type of marketing, its just another way of them trying to milk more money out of the customer. However I will let AVG off seen it has included the free program tune up Utilities.

The Anti virus is actually the free version you can download for free from AVG but its included here as part of the full security package.

The firewall comes defaulted to auto mode so you don't get question boxes popping up all the time as with other firewalls but you can also enable interactive mode so you can adjust what gets access to your PC, this mode is best I think as a more secure means for advanced users.

There is a free support line too.

Tuneup Utiliities 2013
This package comes FREE with Internet Security 2013 and is on a separate disc
With a serial number inside the DVD case with the other disc.

When carrying out a tune up the program found 900 more invalid entries in the system registry compared to Magix PC check and Tuning which I did at the same time to compare the effectiveness of Tuneup Utilities though the magix program is at least a year old now its still an awful lot.

Straight away I was able to speed up my system with one button mode using Turbo mode and this made a few simple changes I had forgotten about to speed things up which I certainly did and was very noticeable.

It also has a one click maintenace button if your not sure what your doing and this works great though it might be best to do a system restore point before carrying out this task incase something gets deleted you need as this can sometimes happen, you can do this within the program by going to "undo changes" which is essential but also check windows restore point if your more concerned.

The increase performance tool works a treat and it made a big difference to my PC though I used this in conjunction with "Turbo Mode".

The program will carry tasks out in idle mode so it wont interfere with your computers speed when your computing.

There is also a secure delete feature which will delete files so they are gone forever and untraceable.

You can download new windows themes for free too if you are into these. You also get 12 months free support in writing or phone.

There is a lot of things I havent covered due to the fact that windows has them built in but its nice to have them all in once place. A very good product.
on 26 June 2013
Once I had uninstalled the AVG free version, I registered the product online to get the licence code.

After this I had no problems loading the AVG Internet Security 2013. Just put the disk in and it linked to AVG website and downloaded the a file. Once I had ran the file, it uploaded and asked for licence details. Once loaded I did an update and rebooted laptop to activate firewall.

The internet security is running well.

Had no problems loading and running PC Tools.

Both products are great.
on 14 September 2014
We'd used the free AVG in a tight spot and liked it enough to want to support them by purchasing the full product. We have friends who were also helped by AVG's free program. I was also impressed, reason for two stars, with their help, seeming to be based in India, at least responding in a reasonable time and making some effort, even if they hadn't a clue what the problems were. It is those problems that lead to us jumping ship and signing up to Kaspersky instead. AVG scans, and TuneUp scans, kept reporting their competition, in this case 'Advanced System Optimizer 3', as viral. Worse, the programs, on more than one computer, crippled some drivers. Since one scan we can no longer use our HP printer on our main desktop, and nothing we've tried has remedied that. And, AVG's support ~ they never understood that was our main concern, instead repeatedly raising other issues, as with ASO-3, also never resolved, but for which we'd found a work-around for ~ disabling AVG completely whenever we wanted to use ASO-3, an inconvenience but it worked. But even there AVG scans had done some damage and a fault window constantly popped up. In the main we could, at the time we were with AVG, not update ASO-3. Getting rid of AVG and TuneUp and reinstalling ASO-3 has since cured that little headache.

On another computer their scans completely wiped out anything to do with the BlueRay/DVD player recorder. Even the driver disappeared. I'd manage someway to revive that, and then another scan would wipe it out again. AGAIN, AVG's help were useless and never manged to either understand our problem or to rescue us from it. BUT, they did try a few tricks and wasted quite a bit of time without results, including asking us at least twice to give up our computers to them to let them do some searching around in it. We trusted them with this in hope they'd get things corrected. They never did, and while I've got our one computer seeing the drive again, we still haven't gotten the printer working on the one. Fedup with AVG, sadly, we've left. Here's hoping Kaspersky doesn't end up being a headache too. Wish us luck. fingers crossed!
on 15 May 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
...it's the standard AVG Internet Security, although the bundled TuneUp Utilities is nice to have. Having tried a huge amount of security software over the years, I would rate the current systems in terms of my personal preference as AVG, Kaspersky, Norton, and lastly McAfee. You will notice that the last two are the most intrusive packages and tend to stop me doing legitimate tasks, requiring me to make exceptions and allow access on a regular basis. For me, this is always a comparison between the former two, and right now AVG is my preference. The interface has a Windows 8 feel, and is easier to navigate than Kaspersky. In terms of performance they feel pretty similar, although I think Kaspersky is probably the more advanced software (I am no expert, but that's my impression). It may be that AVG is simply not telling me what it's doing to keep the system safe. However, I would use AVG because it is simply easier to use and is slightly less resource-heavy, at least on my system (32-bit, 8GB).

TuneUp Utilities doesn't have anything that I didn't already have covered by other software, but to a novice I can see it could be useful. It doesn't have the power of some applications but that's a good thing as it stops new PC users from doing anything too drastic which might damage their OS. It's good to have all the tools in one application.
on 2 December 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've used the AVG free version before and was pretty pleased with it. The full version looks good, loads without any problems [make sure all other security software is removed or disabled first] and seems very resource-efficient. No gripes at all about it so far and four users for a year is good value. The real clincher for me though is that it comes with Tuneup utilities 2013 which I've found is an excellent product, running away in the background of your PC keeping things running smoothly. To get that coupled with this security package leaves you quids in so far as I'm concerned. Highly recommended.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With a new look and a few new features AVG have updated their flagship product to work with Windows 8 and this is does just as well as ever. It comes bundled with a new anti virus product for Android phones and a free copy of their system tune utility, which you may or may not wish to use.

Install was quick and easy but a worrying new feature is the offer to install a browser toolbar and set your browser to AVG defaults. These options are enabled by default and the user has to select to opt out during the install set up. This does not inspire confidence.

Once up and running the protection offered is as good as that from any competing product and scans are fast and efficient. Once again take note that clicking on some links in the program GUI will lead to promotional pages for other AVG products.

This is a good choice to keep your system protected and running but it is a pity that their marketing department has been allowed to interfere with the configuration of the product.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Allows four users and Tuneup.TuneUp Utilities 2013: 3 User (PC)
So for four different machines and the added TuneUp I think this is remarkable good value.

Installed fine, updated and DIDN'T MAKE MY PC GO SLOWER (Do you hear me other Anti-Virus software??- You ought to Norton who you are)

Spotted attempts with scripts on some internet sites; Neutralised an existing virus on a seldom used laptop and spotted potential malware.

Overall. Very Good Value.

Anti-Virus good.
Tune Up even better.
The amount of licences for the cash=excellent.

Recommended.