Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 27 September 2012
I bought this book to get me through long hard 12 hour nights. Although you know the content, read as being reality is pure fiction, you cant help to get fully immersed into the whole story. I let myself get fully immersed and got carried along without being able to put it down, totally engrossed and hanging on to every word.

Then it happened!! 75% of the way through the author dashed every dream and euphoria that i had let myself get drawn in by. The ending of this book is, I would say the worst i have ever read. I was actually physically sweating with fustration, already physically and mentally exhausted by my 12 hour nights it made me nauseous, no other book had every made me feel this way, not even Irvine Welsh's experimentation with literature. 5 stars for the beginning 1 star for the end.

I wish I could get the author by the scruff of the neck and beat him until he wrote the ending of the book I was expecting!! I even wish I could get my money back even though its only a paltry £2.....
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 April 2012
Wow...Downloaded this book on my kindle and took it away on holiday. Unfortunately the Tenerife sun just had to wait. I started to read this and got so engrossed in the story, just couldn't put the book down. I got so involved with the plot, I even dreamt about Aaron's next race and how well he would compete. For someone who can't settle into a book, I was amazed at this one. I am going to recommend this read to my friends. Congratulations.
on 5 September 2012
Like some of the other readers here, I only downloaded this e-book on the strength that it was about motorcycles. I didn't read any reviews or descriptions of the book prior to downloading so the story really was a journey into the unknown! Once started, I found the book hard to put down. If you are into bikes I would really recommend this book.
on 22 June 2014
I recently met the author of this book while on holiday, I was talking to another fella about bikes like you do, it turned out he had the same model as me, the author was on another table who joined in the conversation, also being a biker we got chatting, asking him what he did for a living etc, he causally mentioned he had taken some time out to write a book!
the wife made a note of the title and on my return I downloaded the book.
I finished the book yesterday and found it to be a very good story indeed, I wish the fella good luck with any future writing.

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 December 2012
I have a long standing interest in motorbikes and MotoGP, and I found `At 61 degrees' through a general Kindle search for the word `Motorcycle'. I would strongly advise anyone with similar interests to buy this book without hesitation, as it really is a page turning and gripping piece of work. The author really knows his bikes, riders, sport, tracks and commentators, and how to convey the excitement and detail of racing. You'll read other reviews on Amazon slamming it, but those reviewers have totally missed the point. If you suspend belief and read the first 80% as hugely entertaining material, you might look at the clock and be surprised to find that you're still reading it at 2am. To say any more would give away the inventive plot, which veers off in a totally unexpected direction when the progress bar shows that there's 20% of the book left. I would have preferred it to continue along the expected lines, but that doesn't diminish its impact in any way. It's a captivating and strong read, and is just begging to be made into a film. I also write motorcycle related books, available on Kindle under the name William Jonell, so I know how easy it is for the odd typo to slip through. I was agitated with the frequency of spelling and grammatical errors in `At 61 degrees', but they didn't detract too much from it being a damn good story. In summary I'd have to say that it's the best book I've read in many a year, and I recommend that you buy it and give yourself a treat.
on 17 January 2012
I read this book after winning A KINDLE in a raffle. It is only available as a download but after reading about the content I had to give it a go. Basically the story is a fictional story involving the motogp paddock as we know it but with the central character being in it as well . As a lifelong Rossi fan and motorclist I was hooked from the start of the book to the finish as it took me on its many twists and turns. Brilliant read and great because its from a new writer.

Kindle is brilliant Because-
In The old days you would get people telling stories round the campfire etc. Some of these people could be fantastic storytellers but not being academics or writers it would be unlikely for them to get a publishing deal . But now it is possible for an Unknown writer to get his book published via Kindle .

Mike S Martin is a brilliant story teller and he will only get better.
If you are into motorcycling ,Motogp or any motorcycle racing this book grips you from the start.

The big bonus is that a fair bit of the proceeds are going to the Charities Riders for Health and Help for Heroes
on 2 July 2012
Before I carry on with reviewing this book, I would like to point out that I am an avid bike racing fan and regular track day / Road rider. Owned many sports bikes and i also served in the Royal Navy for 12 years, recently leaving the submarine service, So i consider my comments to be based on things that I am also passionate about. Thankyou.

I downloaded this ebook purely off the name, by searching for Motorcycle related books. I came across a Fictional book by the name of "At 61 Degrees". I had no clue what it was all about and had never heard about it before. All i knew was that it was related to motorcycle racing. So I bought it immediately. i am not an avid book reader and i only read about motorsport racers (biographies etc).

From the get go I simply could not put this book down, All the things I ever ever dream t about coming true were in this book. A young motorcycle rider dreaming about rubbing shoulders with the best riders motorcycle racing has to offer. A young guy full of hopes and dreams with a rise to stardom and finally becoming one of the top men in his field.

What i did not expect was the second half of the book that took me through a whole lot of mixed emotions, and a lot of what i was reading really hitting home. I can say without embarrassment that its the only book that put a lump in my throat and made me shed a tear.

My wife, who has, shall we say a limited capacity for motorcycles and racing has also agreed to read it this coming weeks after seeing the way i reacted to the book, it has her intrigued.

Hopes, dreams, laughter, Sadness. A story that will hit home, especially to all the brave servicemen and there family's that have been injured, hurt or killed in a war zone. Intrigued???? Please read it.........Thanks. Danny
on 29 September 2014
I'm about half way though, the story is great and I'm enjoying it but it really needs a good edit. There are spelling and grammar errors and the odd sentence I had to read several times be realising that no, it didn't actually make any sense. It is slightly annoying but the story is good enough for me to get past this.
on 4 November 2014
i bought a kindle a couple of years ago as i have always been an avid reader who looks forward to the book - and now the kindle - disappearing as i become increasingly absorbed in whatever i am reading. unfortunately, poor grammar/spelling usually breaks the spell (inadvertent pun), and it takes me a while to get back into the zone...often i persevere, but not always.

as a motorcyclist i also enjoy reading in that genre, so i took a punt on this book and was prepared to give it a chance...even after reading the negative reviews about the twist towards the end.

sadly, during the first 1% of the text, i had become so frustrated by the sloppy writing that i abandoned it...mea culpa, perhaps, for expecting too much.

p.s. and yes, i fully expect to draw criticism for the style of this review, all in lower case...
on 21 October 2013
Having worked in the moto gp paddock for most of my working life I found this book very hard to believe, things do not happen this way but as I go further and further in could not put it down,the twist at the end makes it a must read and opens up the full story