Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 17 July 2015
Copy gifted by the author in exchange for an honest review.

I wanted to kick myself in a bum that I have not started this book much earlier. I'm asking myself WHY? The book is amazing. I love dystopian books and the concept in Cameo's book is just perfect.

The beginning of the story starts with a preface that the government knew about the apocalypse, but decided to ignore it? Save only the worthy ones? And because of it its even more terrifying that it actually can be true. That THIS can happen.

The main character, Abi, is telling us the story from her POV. It all begun for her, when her dad took them and their neighbours to a safe place, that he created with other people who where survivalist. She was 4 then. After that over a decade passed and they are now ready to return to surface and rebuild the world. But....there is always a but! The injection that were supposed to help people turned them into mutants and now they are simply craving human meat. They are aggressive, mad and simply not human.

When the journey starts and fight for survival begins, the book turns into a fast paced, conspiracy/survivalist book with a bit of a romance.

The characters are amazingly well developed. They are not perfect in everything but every single one of them is good in something. And that's what makes them a perfect team.

What I love about the world Cameo created? That the mutants are not Zombies, undead. They are very much alive. The book keeps you on the edge of the book, even though the romance part takes you a bit away from the whole action, but I think it was needed. Why? Because it shows that even when everything is destroyed around us, there is a chance to have other feelings. To think only about fighting and surviving.

Amazing, 5 star read!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Well I did warn you this month would be dystopian heavy didnt I!! Today's review is ARV-3 from an author whose work I have not read before, Cameo Renae.

So the one thing I noticed straight away at the start of the book, sorry it should be the second thing - I love the cover!, is that one thing I never hear mentioned before at least not in the books I read about is the fact that there is a lot of nuclear power stations in the USA, what would happen to them if something bad happened?, well in this case bad is solar burst from the sun knocking everything out, then it all goes to hell afterwards with the nuclear power stations exploding.

Abigail is one of the lucky ones, her dad is a prepper and together with her parents, some more of her family and their friends they make their home in a bunker to ride out the next 13 years hoping one day they can return topside.

Abigail is anxious about leaving her home but she is in good hands, especially with her best friend Finn who is starting to turn from a boy in to a man, at the beginning of the book she is almost shy to talk about him but yes friendship does turn to a lovely romance. She is such a fiesty character, barely remembering the outside world she embraces her underground home becoming incredibly fit and becoming an expert shot!

Her father is in charge of their below ground home and he has learned from his friend in another bunker that there are survivors above ground but they are not friendly, killing anybody they come across and infecting those who get away, convinced that nobody could have survived the radiation in the last 13 years their thoughts turn to the last minute barely tested vaccine that was given out to the unlucky ones who did not have a safe haven to go to when things got rough.

They do leave the bunker and no sooner than the hatch is open they come across their first arvy - their name for the people who have been left outside, thankfully it is just the one but they are left shaken by the experience of this barely human milky eyed creature, they start making their way to the safe zone by foot, facing a trek of over 1000 miles they travel by night and try and rest by day.

The threat of the arvy's gets worse as they travel through areas infested with them but hope comes to them in the form of a government helicopter and they are whisked away to the safe zone - but do they get there?

ARV-3 is a fast moving novel, actually my only critiscm is that its maybe a little too fast paced a couple of times I wanted to experience more of their surroundings but hey if that was real life I might have got eaten - you snooze you lose!

I am hoping there will be another book as I would love to hear more from the characters, Abigail and Finn are great plus there is a host of supporting characters that are lovely such as Tina.

I really enjoyed ARV-3 and I am awarding it 4 out of 5
on 20 May 2014
I would not usually have chosen this type of book but I am glad that I did and thoroughly enjoyed it. I disagree with the author when she says that she is not a good author. The author knows her reader and her book uses language appropriate to the intended age range.

A post apocalyptic tale unusually told through the eyes of a 17 year old girl.

This story grabs you straight from the start; it is well paced and difficult to put down. My mistake was that I started reading this in the early hours of the morning and the 5.30am call to prayer made me realise the time and forced me to close the book so I could get some sleep.

A short amount of time (a couple of chapters) was spent on the back story, describing the characters and their relationships. There was even time for the intimation of a developing love story. Although the time spent on the back story was short it was adequate due to the concise nature of the prose which allowed the reader to instantly engage with the characters especially the heroine and hero.

There is an excellent balance between narrative and dialogue. The characters are extremely well written and developed and you cannot help but root for their survival.

During the course of events in the book there is a slight lull but this is really so that the reader can catch their breath before the next onslaught.

As you are engaged with the characters the cliff hanger is interesting and I cannot wait to read book 2. If book two is as good as book one this could well become one of my favourite books even though I am well above the book’s target age.
on 29 January 2014
When Abi was small the Apocalypse happened. Her father and mother and some close family and friends went into a fall out shelter. They had enough provisions to last years but with resources running out they are now finally about to hit the topside. They are excited and nervous all at once but a few days before they are scheduled to leave something happens to make them scared. They can receive messages from other hives and they are told that when the Nuclear Fallout happened the government made "vaccines" but never tested the product properly. A side effect of the vaccine was that they created these mutants that are now topside. What will the family do? How will they manage to go to the Government safe zones which are surrounded with thousands of mutants? What will happen if they get there?

I have to say that I loved this!!! For me Abi and Finn made this book so much better. I loved their relationship. They have been best friends since they went to the shelter and always have each others back. They would do anything for each other. I loved seeing their friendship develop into more.

Abi was kick ass with a side of kick ass!! She is the hives best shooter and rarely misses. She is well able to pack a punch too. They were taught how to shoot and fight since they were old enough to hold a gun. She is thrust into this unknown world with these things and she really shines. She is the first person Id want on my Zombie fighting team. She is a strong, intelligent character and was by far my favourite.

Finn is Abis best friend. Its only by accident that he ended up in the hive but Abi would be lost without him. He keeps her sane and they know each other so well. Finn was also kick ass and someone else you would want at your side in a Zombie attack. He looks out for Abi and cares deeply about her. He is kind, honest and hawt ;)

For the first half of ARV-3 we see the gang struggling to reach the government safe zones and having to fight the Arvies. It was action packed and kept me on the edge of my seat. The time they were in the town was so scary and heartpounding. The author had a way of describing the scenes that completely emersed me into the action and had me breathless with anticipation.

The second half has not as much action but plenty of anticipation. Are the safe zones really safe? Will they be the best thing for the group? Who makes it? Well you will have to read it to find out!!!

Overall ARV-3 was awesome. The authors writing style just grabbed you and pulled you into the story. Its the type of book that when you are reading it you don't want it to finish. Its a pulse pounding read and one Id highly recommend. I cant wait to jump back into the lives of Abi and Finn and see what happens.
on 9 January 2014
I honestly thought this would be just another zombie book like many others I have read recently, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

The first few chapters of the book introduce us to the main characters. Abigail is a teenager who has been in an underground bunker most of her life, it is the only home she has really known. She is, for someone so young, an excellent shot. Finn is Abi's best friend and a few years older than her.

When Abigail, her family and friends entered the bunker they knew that they would only be able to leave it after ten years, possibly more. This is how long the government decided it would take for the environment topside to recover from the disaster which sent them into the bunker in the first place.

Thirteen long years pass and the members of the hive are ready to take their first steps outside. But what they encounter when they do leave shocks them all to the core. Abigail's marksmanship becomes extremely important, on more than one occasion, and helps not only her bunker family, but others they meet along the way.

The journey which everyone undertakes is nothing they could have prepared themselves for. What they find along the way, and the trouble they have trying to reach a safe destination, leads them to be emotionally and physically challenged.

Can this small group of survivors find safety? Will they make it through the new world they find outside? And if they do reach safety, will that turn into something else entirely?

The writing is good, the pace of the story kept my interest all the way through, and the ending leaves it open for more to follow.

All in all a great story which brings something new to the zombie/post apocalyptic genre in my opinion. I can't wait to see what happens next.
on 15 July 2015
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. My first impression was a zombie-non-zombie story but ARV-3 is so much more. For a start there are no zombies. The Arvies are genetically mutated humans. They live, they bleed and they can die but they are the result of an experiment gone wrong. A pitiful last-ditched attempt to save the masses from the coming cataclysm. In many aspects they adhere to zombie like rules...they eat flesh, the scream and groan and the move en mass. But these are far from mindless monsters and because of that they are far more sinister.
Our heroine of the tale is Abi. She is totally kick ass. Officially the toughest teen I think I have ever read about. She, along with her best friend Finn and the rest of her family, escape the confines of their underground shelter after thirteen years of waiting for the radiation levels to drop. The world topside is a harsh and unforgiving environment...and then there are the Arvies.
The story is action packed. Every second of it has you on the edge of your seat and as the story unfolds you are drawn ever deeper.
I loved Abi, I loved Finn and perversely I even loved those grotesque Arvy monsters. I can see why Cameo Renae has such a devoted following. This was an outstanding read.
on 31 July 2014
Wow, this book was amazing! ARV-3 was full of action, suspense, and romance. I could barely put it down! The story was a roller coaster from start to finish. The book itself was well written, and Cameo really knows how to make you jump. There were plenty of unexpected turns here and there.

The story was awesome, and totally original, especially compared to other post-apocalyptic novels out there. It was fresh, new, and I loved it. I immediately fell in love with the characters. They were fun to get to know, and together, made the story perfect. My favourite character has to be Finn, the main character's friend, because he's so cute and funny.

The book itself was really well written. It felt like I was in the story experiencing the same things rather than feeling like I was just reading about it. The way the book was written made it easy to read, and I absolutely love the fact that it makes you feel like you are in the story with everyone.

ARV-3 was a wonderful book, with a huge cliffhanger at the end. I can't wait to read the next one! I am definitely giving this book 5 out of 5 stars! :)
on 24 March 2014
Right from the start this book had me hooked. Abigail Park was 17 years old when they first ventured outside after the apocalypse and the book is so well written it actually felt as if I was there with Abigail on her journey and I couldn't put it down it was full of plot twists and had me on edge I am definitely recommending this to my friends.
on 7 January 2014
I was lucky enough to be given this by the author in return for an honest review.

What a great read! We follow Abi a 17yr old who for the last 13years has lived underground due to the apocalypse.
As Abi and the 14 other members of her hive decide to go topside to get to another safezone they face a huge journey and although it should be straight forward it isn't!!! Arvys (creatures that were once human) are crawling everywhere and they are highly infectious!! They face a perilous journey.

This is a gripping and often nail biting read!!! This book has got it all it made me smile, chuckle and also cry.
I seriously cannot wait to read to read the second book as I read this in less than an hour an half as it was that good!!!!
An I need to find out what happens to Abi an the other's of her hive and whether or not they survive the safezone known as "The White City" and the Arvy's!!!
on 22 February 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a unique storyline in that it deals with mutants after the apocalypse. The balance between dialogue and narrative was superb. The characters were very well written and I fell in love with them. I did however get annoyed with Abi when she breaks a rule. It goes completely against the character and seems to only serve to make a story for later.
The ending was a bit strange in that it seems to be abrupt but having said that it clearly leads onto another book so clearly that is why. I did really enjoy this book and the criticisms are very trivial to be honest.
I would recommend anyone to read this book, I was slightly worried as i am not a zombie person but the story goes far beyond them. It is a great book.