on 31 March 2013
I purchased this in July last year, as in the main, the reviews seemed to be OK. I only used it on a couple of occasions and it was great - it worked much quicker that the old inflator I had used previously.

As the car has been idle for a couple of months, I needed to inflate all four tyres so yesterday, I used it for the first time this year. They wearn't flat but were all low, about 18 - 24Lbs. All progressed OK to start with but it was slowing-down by the time I started the third tyre; it had about 18lbs and needed to be at 32lbs..

Well, it never got there - the compressor got slower and slower, so quickly decided to switch it off but before I had the chance to do this, it just stopped. There was no power (the display was not illuminated) so decided to check the lead. As I opened the door, I was greeted with that horrible smell of electrical burning. The plug had partially melted and the fuse had blown. So I chopped it off and replaced the plug with a much better quality unit and nothing; I checked the polarity and that was fine as there was power gitting to the unit as the display was now lit, so it was clear - the compressor had seized.

So, used on three occasions and that's that! All I can advise is to beware - this, and I have to guess the all the other rebaged clones such as Ring, Streetwise - must come out of the same chinese factory. Its a very cheap product, but there is a reason - its awful. Frankly, the AA should be ashamed of the licence fee thay're collecting by putting their name on it.
on 1 May 2012
I bought this on the strength of the AA brand name, and when it arrived I was pleased with the overall look and how small and lightweight it was. I briefly tested it to make sure it worked. It appeared to as the display came on fine and the emergency lights were nice and bright, but I didn't try and pump a tyre. I then happily popped it in the boot of my car and forgot about it.

Three months later when I needed to use it I found it didn't work. The lights turned on and the inital display worked, but as soon as it was attached to the car tyre it turned off. Then to top it off, after a few attempts to turn it on again, it blew the fuse in my cigarette lighter. Thinking it might be a problem with my car I tried it again in 2 different cars, the exact same thing happened, including blowing the fuses in the cigarette lighters.

Now it it possbile that I have just been unlucky and received a faulty model, but I strongly recommend testing it fully when you receive it. I have contacted Amazon to see if there is anything that can be done after such a long time. If I do get a replacement I will come back and let you know how I got on with it.
11 comment|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 March 2013
First impressions are that it has good features, the digital display is clear and it's easy to set up the correct pressure using the + & - buttons and the three lighting options are very useful.
In comparison to my old Halfords pump purchased in 1998 the plus' are: it's quieter, seems to inflate quicker, has the digital display and automatic cut-off. The negatives are the lead is shorter (I could inflate front tyres with the pump plugged in the boot), the power socket is not very easy to grip, and the lead storage is not as good.
I'm getting use to the screw on adapter as the old one was of the locking type. Hopefully I won't experience problems reported in other reviews and I'll get 15 years service out of this one.
on 8 May 2013
on/off button started sticking after only one or two uses so don't have the highest of hopes for the longevity of the product, but if it should 'give up the ghost' within 12 months it'll simply be returned under warranty so no real concerns there.
the 12v plug really should be improved in design to make it easier to remove - my last compressor had 'grips' on the plug but this is completely smooth plastic so getting a good grip with anything other than clean dry grease-free hands is not the easiest.
it does its job well enough though and the digital display with auto-off (once desired pressure is achieved) is handy. compact and neat enough in storage case supplied. for the price its okay - just can't help thinking that for an extra couple of quid it would be worth raising the quality of the plastic components of the unit itself.

update 31/07/13
the plug recently got hot enough to burn my hand when removed from 12v supply and on subsequent use got hot enough to melt/burn-out completely. (amazon have sent me a foc replacement but quite honestly would rather have had a refund to put towards a better quality version). appears mine is not the only case of these units blowing fuses and/or overheating. with overheating issues i am surprised they are deemed fit for purpose or even fit for sale.

update 01/08/13
the replacement received from amazon does not work (lights and display ok but no compressor) and will therefore be returned for a refund. quite incredible.
on 13 September 2012
I ordered the AA TYRE INFLATER on the Saturday and Received it the following Wednesday. Product was well packaged and looked ok. I Required some air in one of my car tyres so decided to use it straight away. I plugged it into Cig lighter and it seemed to work ok but within 5 mins of it starting it started smelling of burning so I turned it off. When I tried to turn it on again it would not work. I promptly packaged it up and sent it back. Return Procedure was very easy which I commend Amazon for but the product was rubbish and so asked for a full refund.
on 8 August 2014
I purchased this as a used item... but I was (wrongly) confident about Amazon's interpretation of "used". The device was not needed until about a year after purchasing it, when a slow leak caused me to need to inflate one tyre. It immediately blew the 10amp fuse of the car. After running through three spare 10amp fuses I gave up.
As it was out of warranty... even though only one use had occurred, I decided to look inside. What I found was clear evidence of damage. The plastic retainers for the motor were broken.. three bits of loose rubber fell out. The cooling fan on the motor shaft only had three vanes left.. the others were broken off but no where to be found. The motor was tied in place with a piece of nylon cord. The appearance was of a device which had had a heavy fall and caused the internals to be broken.
This device was not fit for purchase and should not have been offered for sale.
on 17 January 2013
This has to be one of my best car related purchases i have ever made, although sad to say, it will put the foot pump industry on its knees, especially at this price.

The product is very easy to use, simple pressure readout and clearly marked switches for on and off, and it also comes with a flashlight to help you see (obviously), with a switch to change it to the SOS flash.

Simple to plug into the cigarette lighter dock AND a cable thats long enough to trail round the car. Way too many i have seen that didnt have a long enough cable.

In conclusion, great, very well designed and thought out product, unlike so many others this has been thought out for the job in hand AND it was only about £15 at time of purchase, there are other identical ones out there costing £20 to £30, but cant work out why.

Definitely recommended.
on 26 July 2013
I bought this product for the following reasons
1.price
2.size
3.AA brand stamped on product

I quite happily had it for about 20 months and during that period have used it no more than 15-20 times. The last was time was last week. The contraption stopped working altogether.
On the last occasion, It would display the current pressure but wouldn't pump to the required pressure. I turned it on/off a couple of times. (i used to this before and it worked, thinking I was just unlucky in getting a slightly faulty one). Shortly afterwards the display disappeared and the flash light stopped working. It then blew the fuse in my car (the lighter fuse).
In my opinion I was better off saving my money and using it at the garage at 50p a pop.
on 13 July 2012
Product looked good but cut out when attempting to increase car tyre pressure to 42 psi to tow caravan, which is why I bought it.
on 11 March 2013
The first time I used this, the on/off button fell off.

I used it again probably twice and it took forever to inflate my tyre.

The next time I used it, it cut out then stopped working all together. I thought the tyre had reached the correct pressure but it hadn't. It seemed to blow my cigarette lighter fuse and perhaps short circuited itself. I replaced the blown fuse (it was the correct ampage) but the compressor still didn't work.

I know it's not my tyre(s) or an issue with my fuses as my previous compressor worked fine, but I lent it to someone, never to see it again.

Invest in a better model - I went for what I thought was a reasonably priced option, but it turned out to be a complete waste of money.