AA Emergency Snow Shovel
Package Quantity: 1Size: NormalChange
Price:£11.85+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 December 2010
I was tempted to buy a compact shovel when I saw an all-plastic model in a shop for about £15, thinking the price was reasonable and it would be handy. I decided instead to have a look on-line and saw this model.
It has a steel blade, is very light and easy to assemble. The base of the blade has a pair of notched discs, so you can set the angle of the blade. Twist the handle of the shovel and it pushes against this disc to lock it into position. The handle also folds so when packed away it is no larger than the blade, and comes in a small bag.
Back-breaking work if you did have to dig a car out, because it is quite short, but better than having nothing to use and it fits into a very small space where a full-sized shovel might be too large to store (the smaller sporty cars, for example).

It arrived the day after I ordered it -and with a very nice Christmas chocolate too! Although I can't imagine that would be guaranteed to be in every order.
on 26 May 2011
This AA 'snow' shovel is very similar and almost identical to a Gerber Entrenching Tool.

For the price offered on Amazon UK, i ended up getting 2 of these.

Bought them not only for winter use, but for light duty shovelling for camping, hiking, gardening and as an emergency shovel .

Handle made of tough light weight nylon plastic, shovel blade is coated steel (not sure what type). The connecting rod between handle and steel blade is a rectangular piece of hollow aluminium. Beefy nuts and bolts keep the different parts in one connected piece.

After doing some research, the main noticeable difference between this and the other shovel I mentioned above is the thickness of the aluminium rectangular tube that connects the blade and the handle. The AA shovel's is thinner.

I have no idea if this blade is of the same quality and hardness as the Gerber. But for the price offered here on Amazon, I am not bothered!

The two pivot connection platelets at the center of the shovel blade are WELDED on, as opposed to being riveted as in many other foldable shovels sold here and online. This welded connection is something that's also found on the Gerber E-tool.

My guess is the shovels blades that are found on the AA shovel and the Gerbers come from the same factory. The only difference could be that the heat treatment for these might be done differently and maybe in different countries?

When folded, there's alot of free play at the shovel blade side (at the connection to the aluminium rod). I might add in some plastic shims/washers to remove the rattle/freeplay.

Overall an excellent buy.
Visually A Very High Quality Product.
on 4 December 2010
Shovel:
Very compact, neat design, and lightweight but sturdy.
The shovel which came more closely resembled the Draper design than the photograph, with a collar which you tighten at the blade end of the handle to make the shovel rigid after unfolding. The design also allows you to set the blade at right-angles to the handle so that you can use it as a pick. The blade also has one serrated edge.
It seems sturdy and suitable for use i.e. to clear small areas of ice and snow around the wheels to get your car going. Those wishing to dig large areas of snow should look elsewhere; this is a small implement (approx 48 cm long unfolded, with a 11 cm wide blade) and you'll have to bend down somewhat to use it.

The Kit:
What I actually received (Dec 2010) was an AA Winter Car Kit - not just the shovel. I don't know if this is normal, or whether this was shipped as the result of lack of stock.
The kit contains: Folding shovel, dynamo 3-led torch, High Visibility jacket, Emergency reflective blanket, and carrying case (approx 22cm x 22cm x 6cm).

So, it's pretty good value if this is the normal deal. Just add your own Mars bar.

Kit Minus points:-
The instructions are on the cardboard sleeve which will probably be discarded on first opening the kit. Also, the instructions don't describe how to make the shovel rigid by tightening the collar, which might confuse some people. These are small points, hence 5 stars.

Summary: Very good compact emergency kit - probably small enough to have in the car all year round.
on 16 January 2013
As others have said the shovel doesn't lock in place causing the blade to flip up and trap your hand. Returned.
on 6 January 2011
I bought this to sit in the boot of my car so didn't want a huge space filler. I needn't have worried, this shovel folds up and down very easily but is also very strong and sturdy at the same time. Given the recent arctic conditions I feel a bit better for having this in my car.
on 9 March 2012
Returned it back as did not lock properly in place and the locking handle was too tight and difficult to lock and unlock. Maybe mine was a faulty one.
on 1 January 2011
I was very pleased with my emergency snow shovel, it is very compact and easy to store when not in use.
It is so simple to use then fold away afterwards, brilliant invention and so well made. Thanks again.
on 9 March 2011
Last year I visited my sick mother in Scotland. The snow fall was exceptional for the lowlands. Thankfully being west coast of Scotland and not more than three miles from the sea the snow was no more than an inconvenience. Nevertheless I realised I was lucky and having a snow shovel to hand could be the difference between life and death. I wanted a shovel that wouldn't take up to much space and be easy to assemble in time of need. AA emergency snow shovel is a perfect fit. At the time I couldn't buy such a shovel not surprisingly all sold out so I ordered one. I was advised when delivery was likely and sure enough my order was delivered on time and for good price.
on 2 February 2013
Bought this shovel 12 months ago to save my skin if I was stuck in snow. Whilst it is very small and compact, when it came to using it in the snow and ice it failed spectacularly. The locking mechanism is based on a hardened rubber screw mechanism trying to lock a steel cam into place. I followed the instructions on the box but it kept failing. This meant that every five shovels, I had to stand up straight again and lock it back down again. After doing this ten times (and risking getting my fingers trapped each time), the hardened rubber screw mechanism failed and the rubber sheared where it should be holding the metal cam for the shovel in place. As a result, I have thrown it into the bin.

If the AA want some advice, they should change the screw mechanism to steel, which would give this shovel a fighting chance to survive the abuse it is going to get when snow and ice hits.

Highly disappointed and would not recommend this at all. I am looking for a short spade for snow and a hammer to deal with ice.
on 30 September 2014
I have just got this so can't say what it's like in action! But all the parts (blade, shaft and handle) feel really solid when extended and tightened. No flex or bendy blade. The 3 sections unfold easily (they stay connected to each other so no dismantling etc) and are tightened with a single, big, easy to grip ratchet/knob. The whole thing extended is 58.5 cm. Folding it is just as easy and it fits neatly into a pouch (25 x 18 cm packed) that closes with a small piece of velcro on the front and has a 3 inch belt loop on the back. The handle is comparable to a normal, full-size spade (made of tough moulded plastic). The blade is steel (22 cm to the point and 15.5 cm wide), the shaft (2 x 1.5 cm tube steel with a plastic sleeve) is 14 cm.

I am not sure if you should be able to tighten the head at different angles but when I have tried this it slips - but fully extended straight out it is just fine. The weakest point is likely to be the double weld that joins the shaft through the blade but that is the risk in having a shovel that folds. As long as you don't try to lever massive weights at a time it should be fine. I think it is ideal to have in the car for an emergency dig-out! And a good deal for £7.50 bought as a separate item (and delivered in 2 days) rather than as part of a kit.