Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.32

on 8 October 2012
This book is essential reading whether you are considering climbing Kilimanjaro or if you've already signed up to go and are now wondering what on earth you have let yourself in for. It gives a great insight into how a climb is run and how it unfolds - the easy bits, the hard bits, the toilets, the organisation of the climb, the feats of the porters who seem to carry everything but the kitchen sink up mountain, the toilets, and the traps that await the unwary tourist. An honest and well balanced mix of fact, trivia, emotion and humour.

Even if you have no plans to climb a mountain but wonder what would drive an otherwise normal couple to spend a week of their life doing so, then at the very least this is a very enjoyable and interesting read.

Did I mention the toilets?
on 26 November 2012
This book is the insightful journey of a young couple as they embark on a trip up Kilimanjaro. For anyone considering doing the same this is well worth a read. There are some really useful kit suggestions and you get a great feel for what you can expect when you are on the mountain. It is well written and the author keeps the reader's attention with snippets of fact (and football). It is also a compelling read - I was rooting for them to get to the top, especially his girlfriend!
on 6 December 2015
I first read this book along with about another 10 as part of my resarch and preparation for my climb up Kili in Oct 2014. I've just read it again, one year since I reached first Stella Point and then Uhura Peak. This book brought back some great memories - in particular it's description of summit night is just spot on! I'd recommend anybody considering the climb to read this book. It's well written and so very accurate with a good dose of humour too!
on 7 February 2012
I am seriously considering the Kilimanjaro Trek this year (2012) and started my research with this book.
I could not have started with a better guide.

The book is simply and humorously written with just the right amount of detail and fact.
I zipped through it in three sessions and at times felt like I was reading a Nick Hornby novel.
Jonathan seems like the type of guy you would want to go down the pub with and Jen sounds like the stoic type of lady you would want to marry.

All in all and excellent read and highly recommended.
on 20 April 2014
I wanted an insight to kili while preparing for a trip. This is the best book I've read in advance, both enjoyable and informative. Unfortunately not something I can say about many of the other kili books out there! Think I'll just give up on those and read this again!
on 22 September 2013
A good light holiday read, especially if, as I was, you are about to book to climb Kilimanjaro. Could easily relate to all in the group, felt their emotions and was willing them to the top. Also some very useful tips for the climb at the back.
on 19 January 2013
If you've decided to go for Kilimanjaro then this is definitely worth a read, fun and light hearted with some good tips thrown in
on 25 April 2016
A true day by day account of what it's really like to climb Kilimanjaro. Excellent advice in the last chapter
on 13 May 2016
Funny and informative at the same time.