Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 July 2012
A truely amazing read! It normally takes me months to finish a book but this I could not put down it took 4 days to read from cover to cover! A remarkable women who I could relate so well to as I manage a day nursery and have worked in nurseries for 25 years.Such wonderful and moving accounts about such precious possessions - children in their most formative years. Awaiting Volume 2!!
on 3 July 2012
Wonderful reading, I felt every emotion Brenda went through I laughed, felt concerned and sobbed my heart out. What an amazing women and as a nursery nurse myself I can understand the love and anguish she feels for her little ones. I couldn't put this book down and really cannot wait until volume 2, and continue reading about this selfless women's life. I highly recommend reading this book you will not be sorry.
on 4 November 2014
For those who enjoyed the above book (which I most certainly did), I feel it worth mentioning that "A Spoonful of Sugar", with a different cover (different publisher, printed in 2014), is actually an extended version of Miss Ashford's book, including several additional new chapters. Three of these additional chapters can also be found in Brenda Ashford's "Tuppence for Paper and String". I mention this because it appears not to have been made plain anywhere that this is the case. I am hoping this information may prove helpful to those who wonder about two editions of the same book. I just hope you don't get too confused, as I did!
on 18 July 2012
A Spoonful of Sugar

This is a truely rare and wonderful narrative that takes the reader on a wonderful journey through Brenda's many adventures. It is deeply touching, very moving but extremely funny and incredibly uplifting. I cannot recommend this book enough!
on 18 December 2012
This is the sacred motto of the Norland Institute and it dominates this enthralling true story of one woman's pilgrimage through the rigorous training of a Norland Nanny. The self discipline this produced stood her in good stead during the long years of World War 2. In all the horrors of relentless bombing by the enemy, Brenda's first thought was for the safety and protection of the children.
The whole book is a wonderful read - so human, so natural, yet with a golden thread running through of an unshaken faith in God.
on 17 January 2014
A wonderful story bought as a gift and was given a chance to read it after the recipient had read it. The stories are not like the BBC midwife drama and not all things are rosie in the garden . A good read if you like nostalgia ,nursing and children an easy read but not quite a page turner.
on 11 February 2014
What a riveting read very exciting to read how you all coped during the war years I am only sorry the country has lost some of the old British camaraderie that we had during that time
on 24 January 2013
A "must" for parents or adults connected with child care. Reminds us of things as they used to be !!!!!
on 24 March 2014
A lovely story about a Norland Nanny's life over 60 years. It took us from her initial training and through war time Britain when she looked after evacuated children in a nursery set up to allow their mothers to carry out war work. I thoroughly enjoyed a nice easy read.
on 15 July 2013
I have in the passed worked with children. As a pre-school assistant and then Nursery Nurse at a private day nursery. This book was very well written a very good account of history during the war. Also a good in site
into the work of a Norlands Nannie