Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.49

on 6 March 2016
My mum and I both love Santa Montefiore's books and I bought this for my mum for mothers day, the information says that it is 208 pages, however BEWARE, the actual story ends at page 110, the rest of the book is an excerpt from "songs of love and war". Very disappointing for both me and my mum, also very misleading of Amazon to advertise that the book is longer than it actually is. If I had known I would not have purchased it as I think it is very poor value for money.
on 11 March 2016
I felt cheated when I got to page 110 of 192 and the story finished,the rest being an excerpt from another of her books.There was nothing on the blurb on the back cover to even hint at this.I enjoyed the little story which stood alone and feel this book would have been a little gem on its own,I don't want these extra 82 pages that have been foisted on me which have totally ruined the book I just wanted to rip them out.
on 7 March 2016
This is how the author describes her book and it sums up this touching story brilliantly.

Robert is married to Celeste and they are still recovering from the loss of their 8-year-old son, Jack, to leukaemia. This scenario must be every mother’s worst nightmare and the description of this terrible event is so real, to quote from the book:

’Celeste’s grief had gushed and flowed around her like a terrible flood of pain, forming an impassable moat, hemming her in and forcing him out. She had shrunk into herself like a tortoise resentful of the light. Jack had taken her heart with him, leaving his father with nothing but the shell.’

Sixteen months have passed but the raw grief has affected Celeste so much she is going through her days on automatic pilot even giving up her successful business making embroidered quilts and bedlinen and neglecting everyone around her.

Her life is completely changed when Robert’s sister, Georgia, returns from Australia to live in England and needs someone to look after her son Bruno for 5 days whilst she sorts out her new house. Bruno is exactly the same age as Jack and Celeste cannot even consider looking after him and assumes that Robert’s parents, Huxley and Marigold will be able to step in as they have always done with their grandchildren. However, Marigold suddenly has far too many things to do and Celeste has no option but to have Bruno.

Her first instinct is to reject him and do as little as she can with him but Bruno is full of energy and infuses the house with a child’s presence. He plays with Jack’s toys and goes into Jack’s room and slowly Celeste warms to him and her resentment begins to turn to joy. Bruno begins to collect strange items, a peacock’s feather, a horseshoe, a dead butterfly and he also appears to be having conversations with an imaginary person.

Celeste finally learns to let her son go by realising that life must go on and that there is still joy in the world. Bruno not only helps her to start living again but there is a twist at the end regarding his connection with Jack which is very moving.

l really enjoyed this book, the style of writing is simple but very descriptive and you empathise completely with Celeste as she learns to care again for another little boy and start to get her life back. I would recommend reading this book to anyone who has children, it is only 100 pages long but I will remember it for a long time and yet again I feel the need to read more of this author.

Dexter

Breakaway Reviewers received a copy of the book to review.
on 6 March 2016
With Postage this book cost me £7.98. A Complete waste of money, I love Santa Montefiore so was succered into buying this. The story is weak and unbeleivable. It only covers half the book 110 pages, and then the other half 90 pages is a preview of Songs of Love and War which I read months ago and thoroughly enjoyed, but did not enjoy finding it as the second half of a hardback book. Shame on you Ms montefiore for conning your readers.
on 12 February 2014
I'm a fan of Santa Montefiore, but was disappointed by this book. It never captured the imagination, and ended 70% in. What's the sense in 30% of a book you've paid for being extracts from other books?
on 8 March 2016
My wife has been a great fan of this writer, having now consumed all of her work, however this particular book ( 110 pages ) was a disappointment to her as almost two thirds of this hardback edition was taken up by a so called excerpt 192 pages long, from ' songs of love & war ' which she has already read & enjoyed .
on 23 September 2015
Having read through the first episode of this compilation I was frustrated and not too pleased to find that the remaining chapters were excerpts from books I had previously read - and I paid for this!! - not amused.
on 18 September 2013
I always enjoy Santas stories but was astonished by how short this book was. I found the subject of the story moving. Felt it was not a good example of her writing though
on 26 September 2013
I love Santa Montefiore, got this book on my kindle and had no idea how long/short the book was, it was very short and was only 75% through when it ended and then I could read the start of another book by the same author (shame it was the one I had just read) I found this annoying.
on 10 May 2016
Very short story and to make up the pages an intro to another title which I had already read,I thought it was a it of a CON and overpriced for what it's content offered.