Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle EditionChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 October 2012
I've enjoyed a lot of books by this author. I really like Michael Morpurgo's books that contain stories about wartime - this story is a poignant read with a wartime theme.
The novel is inspired by the life of Walter Tull. Tull was the first black officer to serve in the British Army in the First World War and recommended for the Military Cross for his bravery, but he never received one.
The fictional story follows young boy, Michael. Michael knows that his father died in the Second World War, but not much else. With the help of Aunty Snowdrop, the story reveals how Michael discovers the truth about his family and who he really is.
The story is scattered with illustrations by Michael Foreman. All the drawings are lovely and everyone will love the drawings of Jasper the Jack Russell.
This is a lovely book for children to read at home, or in the classroom. I'm an adult fan of MM's books and can't resist a new release.
on 14 October 2012
Personally, I find Morpurgo's style quite irritating but I bought this one as the person it is inspired by- Walter Tull - is one of my heroes. It's nice to see awareness of his life being raised in what will be a bestseller for Morpurgo. I think this one will appear as a school reader in the not too distant future because it deals with an issue not tackeld in other war books for children . It is simpler than War Horse and Private Peaceful, tells an important story , and got my reluctant (but fluent) 11 year old boy reading and is now being read by my avid reader 8 year old. The older one gobbled this up in two sittings and declared it 'the best book he's read', which is saying something if it deposes Wimpy Kid!! You also still don't come across many children's book where the central character is not white and middle class. This may seem a bit preachy to an adult reader but my son appreciated the issues and it raises questions of racism in an accessible way. Morpurgo's afterword is very interesting, explaining who Walter Tull was - and telling of other black soldiers in other conflicts. The only quibble... Tull played for Spurs , and then Northampton (It's one of the reasons I bought the book for my Spurs fan sons). Why on earth would an author change that to Arsenal? That's almost insulting!This book has some nice drawings and large print. I would say it could be read by children from 8 (although there is some lovey dovey stuff and a pregnancy) to 12.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 August 2014
As an adult into his eighth decade, I suppose I have no right to review this book. Morpurgo has written so many good books for young people and it would seem from the many reviews by young people that they enjoyed this one as much as many others. So clearly he has not lost his touch.

I thought the idea of the book was excellent. Anything that can spark the interest of the young in important historical events must be worthwhile. And the idea of a medal, which like so many others may otherwise lay forgotten in a draw, bringing to life the person who was awarded it, has great appeal. As appealing as Morpurgo's other great children's book on a war theme, War Horse, which has brought entertainment and informed comment to so many in its book, stage and film formats.

But for me, this one did not quite come off. In my eyes, the plot became a little complex, or rather rambling at times, detracting from the central theme. The pace faltered and I wondered if this might put off a number of young readers. But who am I to say? The older I get, the more I enjoy reading and anything which encourages the kids to read, and read again, must be good. Michael Morpurgo - keep going.
on 20 October 2012
I downloaded the kindle sample of this book and had started reading when i spotted the book in my local library. I read it all in one go. It is a very touching, moving story based on the life of Walter Tull, a fine soldier and footballer.It was my first Morpurgo book and will not be the last.Although aimed at children there is much here for adults.Will definitley be recommending to friends and fellow readers.
on 31 October 2012
What a wonderful book, I Couldn't put the book down. Historically interesting too and accurate! Michael Morpurgo has done it again! Brilliant!
on 27 November 2012
I bought the book for my eleven year old daughter she said it was the best book she has read
on 30 November 2012
I chose this book because I was interested in Walter Tull and wanted to read a Michael Morpurgo book. I'd heard a lot about this author and I wasn't disappointed. Although this book is written for children, the way it is written makes it good for adults too.
on 22 November 2012
I read this book in a week. I really enjoyed reading it because it taught me about the war and that some people did not get medals because of the colour of their skin. It was exciting and sad at the same time. I will tell my friends to read it.
By Joshua aged 9
on 24 February 2013
A fantastic book about a long lost family history. Michael Morpurgo has used his adventurous characters to their best effect to please his readers once again in this wonderful book, a medal for Leroy, that will most definitely bring a tear to your eye. This amazing story is about Michael, who doesn't remember his father, who died in a Spitfire over the English channel. And his mother, heartbroken and passionate, refuses to speak of him. But when Michael's aunt gives him a medal and photograph before she dies, it begins to reveal a hidden story. A story of love loss and secrets. But will Michael realise that if he reads this message, his life will change forever...
on 17 November 2012
This book is a great novel about a young boy growing up in London after the Second world war. But suddenly his Auntie snowdrop gives Michael a photograph of his father that reveals a hidden story just waiting for Michael to find out.
I think That this story is aimed at children, but any adult will enjoy this book also as it has a mixed bag of emotions. It is a very good read and I would recommend it to Readers of all ages. It definetly is a must have for kindle readers and if you buy the book itself!