Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 10 February 2012
A collection of short stories by different authors based on the aftermath of the Yellowstone caldera erupting with a force 100 times that of Mount St Helens, and the "Nuclear winter" that follows.
My research on the internet shows this scenario is possible. A case of when, rather than if.

With that in mind I read this book, and found the plot & storyline believable and i found I read it in a short space of time.Always the sign of a good read.
It is more about the way human character changes when faced with survival, rather than the mechanics of "The Event".
How people behave in the face of adversity, famine, cold and disaster rather than the nitty-gritty of day to day survival.

Read it! You will be pleasantly surprised. I was.
P.s. You will also start thinking & researching about "super-volcanoes". I have.
on 9 December 2012
The credits on this one are a bit of a lie: David Dalglish devised this book and wrote most of the others, with his mates pitching in some additional contributions.

So the supervolcano under Yellowstone Park has exploded, effectively condemning most of the USA to a nasty Pompeii-like death. A Land Of Ash is a series of unconnected stories told in sequence, starting with the actual eruption and ending six months later when hope finally arrives. The overall theme is how a person reacts to a catastrophe so massive. Fear? Acceptance? Anger? Hope? Will bad guys start becoming altruistic and help in the rescue? Will good guys go nuts and start killing to escape? Yes, is the answer to all of those questions and more. When the fire and ash starts to kill everything, most people find out what's really important to them, from an old lady facing a severe test of faith to a pregnant woman who has to decide if she can bring a child into a world with no food.

It's kind of like The Road rewritten to include an ensemble cast (and indeed the final story is almost a carbon copy of that book's ending). Like Cormac McCarthy, Dalglish doesn't really care about the nature of the disaster but zooms in on individual people trying to cling onto the last scraps of hope. Hugely readable and heartily recommended.

(original review at [...])
on 9 January 2011
I have to admit this was one of the first books that I have purchased for my Kindle but I can gladly say that I was not at all dissapointed. The book was well written and though in many of the short stories there was a lot of dread, some managed to still provide hope for the survivors. The one critisism that I would make was that it would have useful to have almost a kinda prologue at the begining in order to provide the reader some infomation on the actual erruption itself.

Otherwise a great book that deserve a great sequel!
on 14 May 2012
This is a well written, engaging collection of short stories, all on a common theme - life after the Yellowstone Caldera erupts. Like other reviewers, I would have appreciated a bit more background. As it was, I had to go onto the internet, halfway through reading the book, to find out more about the Caldera and how its eruption would affect the world. Many of the stories in the book could easily have been expanded to stand alone stories! Many were heart wrenching and all left me vaguely unsatisfied, wanting to know more about the individuals involved.

However, a collection of stories that is well worth reading. I finished it in a day!
on 26 May 2011
This book is a well written and edited collection of short stories based before and after the Yellowstone Caldera erupts. I read this on the Kindle and because it was free I did wonder what the quality of the stories and editing would be like, however it's a lot better than some ebooks I've paid for and I will read it again at some point.

If like me you're a fan of post apocalyptic fiction then give this a go, you won't be disappointed.
on 26 January 2012
Using the common theme of the Yellowstone caldera eruption, these stories give us glimpses of what could happen.

The individual stories are superbly written with characters I would love to hear more of.

The despair of a parent facing this with their child contrasts with the hope given when strangers help each other or face the end together.
on 25 May 2011
This collection is an easily enjoyable quick read with a look into several different lives and how they would be affected by a major incident. They are all quick but surprisingly emotional and leaves you wondering what you would do in those situations. The others who joined with David to put their stories in are all great additions.
on 24 February 2013
I thought this was going to be a story about a volcano erupting in America. Technically it was, but this book is a series of short stories of various people and their reactions to the eruptions.
Some stories were better than others. The first one sets the scene perfectly.
All throughout the book I was wondering what I would do in those circumstances, would I be brave, or just go and hide in the corner and hope for a quick death?
This was a volcano story from a human perspective, not a geographical one and definitely worth a read.
on 16 February 2012
I downloaded this book a couple of days ago and have to say I really enjoyed it. The stories are all well written, thought provoking and at times emotional. My favourite section are the first few stories but all are very good. Most of them left me questioning myself afterwards, what would I do in those situations? The story 'Shelter' affected me as I have a young son. How would I cope in the fathers shoes? Once I'd read that story I found myself staring off into space for 10 minutes pondering and in all honesty feeling a little upset.

Anyway, the book is excellent and best of all it's free, so download it, sit back and enjoy a good read.
on 18 November 2013
This is a collection of short stories by different authors. The volcano under Yellowstone has erupted, the ash is falling and everyone is dying. The stories are used on the human interest perspective, and take a look at how people may react. We have one story about a group of friends, who know the ash cloud is coming, another about a father trying to protect his daughter, and one post ash cloud.

The stories give you an insight into the bleak world that would be under the ash cloud, but the authors can only surmise how we may react.

The book would have benefitted from one longer story to build up the suspense. All the stories are good, and if you can read it and forget this could really happen, then a good read