Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 September 2011
This book is a true 5 star offering. Interestingly, I discovered it about a year after I graduated, and although I had good analysis lecturers whilst I undertook analysis modules during my maths degree, having this book as extra arsenal would have been a unreal.
The book explains the main features of a standard analysis course (sequences, convergence, series and all of the associated tests for convergence and onto continuity, differentiablity, Taylor series etc) that you'll find on a year 1 (and a bit of year 2) so well.
Believe me, you will not be dissapointed if you purchase this book, and although I enjoyed analysis at uni, I am aware that many do not, hence the book will really aid those people too.
If I could offer critisism, there is a brief section on uniform continuity which is usually covered in a second year uni course. Here it isn't explained as well as the rest of the material, and seems to have been just 'added in'. Also, although there are fantasically full solutions to the questions that are within the chapters,but, at the end of each chapter, as with 99% of books, there are the end-of-chapter questions (too). For some odd reason that I cannot fathom, solutions to these questions are not given. Why???
Also, as I discovered the book *after* I completed uni, I guess that after 3 years of study and hence graduating, the book may appear more clearer and more second nature to me- when I'd completed the uni analysis modules, as would have been the case if I'd had access to the book whilst earning my strips in the trenches back in year 1, when analysis was new to me. Who knows?

Overall, certainly a 5 star book, and it is a pity that the author, who has a nack of explaining tricky concepts really well, did not produce a follow up book, aimed at the next level up (M-Test stuff etc).
on 31 May 2012
Although this is a good book it suffers from many small irritating text errors. Some of the maths is wrong references to wrong theorem and stating of a proof by contradiction when it wasn't also the remark regarding L'Hospital's rule is totally unnecessary as it's false. These are a few of many errors I've spotted and I have not read that much. This book could certainly have done with a bit more proof checking (by some one like myself). Actually there's a small error in the discussion of the graph of the blancmange function on the front cover. I wish the author would correct his errors in an errata but I was unable to find one.
on 19 September 2013
I chose this rating because the book was exactly as described. It is a good book and I would recommend to others
on 27 March 2015
As new condition. Spot on as described.