Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 September 2002
A simply written, easy read and helpful book particularly for foster carers or prospective adoptive parents. I couldn't put it down and although some of the information seemed to be a bit basic it confirms what you already know and helps to reasure that you are dealing with situations in the correct manner. It also helps to understand the problems and feelings the children in the care system might be feeling.
I am on my way to order my next V Fahlberg!
on 3 November 2009
I purchased this book on a recommendation when I became a foster carer. Having read it I would thoroughly recommend it to anybody with children or who comes into contact with children.
The information it gives could help many parents/care-givers to alleviate or at least understand some of the problems children may have.
It could also help new parents to plan effective strategies for brnging up their children.
Despite it rather 'technical' sounding name and introduction it is quite an easy read giving actual examples and 'bite-size' info.
on 12 August 2002
This is an amazingly written book, which has helped with not only my studying for an N.V.Q. Level 3 in Caring for Children & Young People, but also with educating myself & my partner in our fostering skills. It has been an enourmous help in aiding us to care for our foster children in every way possible.
on 2 September 2009
A great book. Very informative and readable with a lot of common sense written - and certainly not just for social workers.
Teachers and other professionals as well as parents would find this a really useful read which can be dipped into as and when. It would hopefully make anyone more aware of the individuality of children and that they are a product of adult input from the very start. Worth every penny!
on 2 May 2013
A very good read, not too heavy and was interesting. The age and development chart was a good guide but did disagree with the statement that by age 3-4 years a child can normally do little errands near the house and by 4-5 years can go errands in the neighbourhood. There is no way on this earth that I would ever send a child of these ages out to do this even in 1970's years!! so don't know whether the incorrect wording was used in the book for "errands" other than this it was very good.
on 19 November 2000
This book provides a very readable text which relates attachment theory to social work with children. It provides a range of useful tools when preparing children for placement moves - particularly useful for preparing for permanence.
on 22 December 2011
I would reccommend every social worker reads this book, one of those staples that all good social workers have read and you'll always go back to it for advice and information.
on 3 December 2010
This is a great book to dip in and out of, as a new foster carer I can see myself refering to it often
on 8 April 2013
Recommended by my social worker, I'm sure it will be worth plodding through in the end, but its very heavy going, so I've still not finished it!
on 18 May 2013
I have found this book very helpful in my work as a social worker, especially when undertaking permanency work. Recommended.