A BIGGER SPLASH (DVD + Blu-ray)
A film by Jack Hazan
Director Jack Hazan and writer David Mingay (Rude Boy) had access to David Hockney and his circle from 1971 to 1973, a critical period for the internationally-acclaimed artist following his break-up of his relationship with Peter Schlesinger. As much an intimate study of love gone wrong as a portrait of an artist at work, A Bigger Splash chronicles the emotional ripples that separation casts on their coterie.
With appearances by such art scene icons (and subjects of Hockney's work) as Celia Birtwell, Ossie Clark, Henry Geldzahler and Patrick Proctor, this ground-breaking film is presented here in a newly remastered version, accompanied by rare and fascinating archive documentaries on Hockney and an insightful interview with Hazan.
- Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition
- Love's Presentation (James Scott, 1966, 25 minutes): a short film capturing the creation of Hockney's Cavafy Etchings, narrated by the artist
- Portrait of David Hockney (David Pearce, 1972, 13 minutes): Hockney seen relaxing at his home with Peter Schlesinger, and at work on his celebrated painting Mr and Mrs Clark and Percy
- Original theatrical trailer
- Interview with Jack Hazan (Adam Roberts, 2006, 28 mins, DVD only)
- Fully illustrated booklet with essays by John Wyver, Michael Brooke and William Fowler as well as Jack Hazan's production stills and Philip French s original review
UK | 1974 | colour | English language, with optional English hard-of-hearing subtitles | 105 minutes | Original aspect ratio 1.85:1
Disc 1: BD50 | 1080p | 24fps | PCM mono 2.0 audio (48k/16-bit)
Disc 2: DVD9 | PAL | Dolby Digital mono 2.0 audio (320kbps)
Region 0 PAL DVD
Region Free Blu-ray
United Kingdom released, Blu-Ray/Region A/B/C DVD: LANGUAGES: English ( Dolby Digital 2.0 ), English ( Dolby DTS-HD Master Audio ), English ( Subtitles ), WIDESCREEN (1.85:1), SPECIAL FEATURES: Blu-Ray & DVD Combo, Booklet, Cast/Crew Interview(s), Interactive Menu, Scene Access, Short Film, Trailer(s), SYNOPSIS: Director Jack Hazan and writer David Mingay (Rude Boy) had access to David Hockney and his circle from 1971 to 1973, a critical period for the internationally-acclaimed artist, during which time they crafted this ground-breaking and enthralling docu-drama, celebrating Hockney's life, work and milieu. With appearances by such art scene icons (and subjects of Hockney's paintings) as Celia Birtwell, Ossie Clark, Henry Geldzahler and Patrick Proctor, this mesmerising portrait is presented here, along with little-seen archive documentaries on Hockney, for the first time on Blu-ray. SCREENED/AWARDED AT: Cannes Film Festival, ...A Bigger Splash (Blu-Ray & DVD Combo) (Blu-Ray)