Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

£52 - This is why I don't buy Star Trek series.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 May 2012 16:06:18 BDT
Far too expensive. I have The original Crew Seasons on Dvd, the 1st season on HD-Dvd, and a couple of TNG on Dvd because I found them at really good prices. But I won't pay these high prices for HD. The Blu-ray's are still sitting at £45 each after all the time they've been available.

Posted on 3 May 2012 11:42:21 BDT
They will add behind-the-scenes footage (courtesy of "Rod" Roddenberry's 35mm film collection I presume) which is most likely HD and has never been shown before. This constitutes some extra appeal one might / should consider.

Posted on 5 May 2012 17:18:39 BDT
S. Aston says:
Paramount do have a nasty history of price gouging the affluent Star Trek fan base, I remember paying $250AU a season for TNG VHS tapes, but baulked at paying $200AU a season for the DVDs on their release. Ended up never buying them actually.

However, in this case the pricing is actually justified IMHO. The amount of work needed to get this series up to snuff for HD is pretty staggering. Episodes need to be basically re-assembled from scratch and re-created. Much more work than even TOS.

They haven't taken the cheap way out and given us upscaled versions. They've done it right, and it would have been damn costly. I for one am willing to pay a bit extra because they have.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2012 12:32:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 May 2012 12:34:49 BDT
J. Martin says:
Agreed S. Aston - when the whole post-production process has to be completely redone to simply get it to HD, £52 is actually pretty good.

For the majority of other catalogue TV shows I would agree that it would be too much, but considering this is arguably the most complex restoration for any TV show ever, I don't think they're asking too much. And then when it's very unlikely they're even going to make a profit from the Blu-ray sales alone (as that'll come from distribution for the likes of Netflix) £52 is justifiable IMO.

Obviously with the economy how it is very few people have disposable income for things like this, I myself am on a very, very tight budget which is why this will be one of only a few Blu-rays I will get this year. But I knew the set would be given quite a high price, so I've been saving money ever so often ever since the Blu-rays were first announced last year to be able to buy TNG in HD.

Sorry to be harsh, but when you look at what they accomplished with 'The Next Level' I can't wait to see what is done with the first season set and will gladly pay £52 for it.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 20:23:04 BDT
A. Whitehead says:
Whilst normally I'd agree if this was a simple transfer job, it's not. As others have said, hundreds of additional man-hours have been poured into re-editing every single one of the 178 episodes in order to get them looking as good as possible on Blu-Ray. Whilst the price is higher than I'd been hoping, it is still not unreasonable given the level of new work that had to be performed for the series to make it onto Blu-Ray.

http://www.startrek.com/article/the-next-generation-blu-rays-launch-in-2012

Posted on 12 May 2012 16:36:44 BDT
Paul Boland says:
My pre-order is in. The taster disc was epic in quality! I'll gladly buy my entire Star Trek TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise collection on bluray. I already have TOS on bluray and have all series on DVD. I love Star Trek ;).

Posted on 13 May 2012 09:30:58 BDT
fact is, at this price it won't sell. I'll wait for the inevitable cut in a years time.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 06:24:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 May 2012 06:26:13 BDT
J. Martin says:
This will sell and in large quantities, because it's one of the biggest upgrades from DVD to Blu-ray I've ever come across, at least based on The Next Level, so Trek fans will be all over it. I don't consider myself a fan, as I only really like TNG, DS9 and Voyager, but can''t wait for this release and will buy it day one, and I'll gladly pay £51. So if a non-fan will pay £51, fans will likely do so as well.

I take it by 'inevitable cut' you mean cut in price. I'm sorry to say but that's unlikely to happen, even in 'years time'. It's been three years since TOS came out and it's barely dropped, so if you're expecting to pay nearer £30 you're only dreaming.

Posted on 20 May 2012 03:05:48 BDT
Sunwind says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2012 06:18:35 BDT
J. Martin says:
How much I pay is up to me, so don't insult me or anyone else who is willing to pay that much. It's my money and I'll do what I want with it.

At little bit of history will teach us if you go back even further to the days of VHS you'd be looking at paying a total of up to £200-£300 for a single season, so paying a quarter of the price for superior HD quality is hardly unreasonable. £300 verses a minimum of £1400 for the entire show, which is the better value?

Regardless, you could apply that argument to almost anything, so it doesn't hold much value.

Posted on 20 May 2012 12:43:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 May 2012 17:37:59 BDT
Ekkie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 27 May 2012 06:05:06 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 16:09:40 BDT
Totally agree. I dont have ToS on Blu Ray yet but I'll get it. I quite happily paid £50 for each DS9 series on DVD, I'll very happily pay £50 for them all on blu ray again.

I got the taster disc too, and you're right, it was epic! My jaw hit the floor when I seen the enterprise for the first time during the intro. So good in fact I'm considering getting a new bigger tell to enjoy it all the more on.

Posted on 10 Jul 2012 19:16:24 BDT
A. Whitehead says:
Review of the new Blu-Ray version of the first season:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/07/09/star-trek-the-next-generation-season-one-blu-ray-review

As well as the immense amount of work that went into restoring the series, I'm intrigued by the major new series of documentaries accompanying the release (the first three parts of which are on the S1 set), featuring new interviews and retrospectives. That could be potentially very interesting.

Posted on 19 Jul 2012 09:51:43 BDT
it might be expensive compared to other full seasons of shows on blu-ray but as others have said a lot of work has gone into this, also when these first came out on dvd in the big plastic boxes, the retail price was around £80!! so this price is not so bad compared to that

Posted on 23 Jul 2012 18:14:12 BDT
Bester1976 says:
If it had just been an upscale job then there's no way I would have shelled out £50 per season, but as others have mentioned, this isn't just an upscale job - they've gone back to the original film elements and FX shots and rebuilt them from the ground up.

Having seen the sampler disc that was released earlier in the year, the upgrade in picture and sound quality is frankly staggering. It's certainly a long way from the fuzzy BBC2 broadcasts that we used to see, and it's an equally massive step up from the DVDs.

Re additional footage - whilst their general approach appears to be not to reinsert anything as standard, they are making an effort to provide an extended edition of the season 2 episode "The Measure of a Man" - they're looking to add in somewhere between 14-20 minutes of additional footage that was originally cut for time.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2012 20:23:52 BDT
14 to 20 MINUTES?? that will make it nearly an hour long! A great episode, I'm not complaining, but it's surprising. I just got my Season 1 today and its fantastic

Posted on 24 Jul 2012 13:14:53 BDT
Want this so badly but I see the US set sells for $59.99, which is surely about £40 aint it???? Id rather pay £40 than £51 so how do they justify the difference??? Payday Friday anyway so...it will be mine :D

Posted on 24 Jul 2012 15:30:50 BDT
Andrew Beet says:
i'm definitely ordering this from amazon have seen it HMV in Birmingham for £55 but you know what i'll even pay £55. i bought the taster disc and the quality is stunning.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2012 22:32:10 BDT
Bester1976 says:
It's only possible because back in the day they actually knocked up a copy of the extended edition for the writer, Melinda Snodgrass. Amazingly, she still had the tape, so when asked was happy to send it back in so that it could be used for reference when they're looking for the missing/additional footage.

They're not expecting this to be the case with any other episodes sadly, but you never know.

Posted on 26 Jul 2012 19:17:23 BDT
A. Whitehead says:
Having now purchased the set, I can say it's worth every penny. One of the side-effects of re-editing every episode from scratch with 2012 editing technology is the total elimination of matte lines in the visual effect scenes, whilst bypassing the American NTSC master tapes means that the slightly soft, hazy image quality common to American series viewed in the UK is completely absent. The image is clear and extraordinarily detailed. The series looks ten times better than it did when it first aired in 1987.

The documentary in the set about how the restoration work was done is very impressive. Some of the editors spent weeks trailing through boxes of film to find 15-second scenes that had gone walkabout from their original episodes so they could fully restore them. They redid every single phaser blast and transporter effect in the series to make it look good in HD. They also redid all of the planet backgrounds, scanning the original matte paintings and creating detailed 3D models using the paintings as a source. The few times full CGI was used in STTNG (such as the Crystalline Entity), they've recreated and re-rendered the 3D from scratch.

The only major disappointment is the lack of full widescreen. But since the show was not made in full widescreen, obviously that's simply not possible to rectify (and depending on your player, you can manually zoom in to get the same effect, at the cost of losing the top and bottom of the image).

Incidentally, I get the impression from the interviews that the dominance of full CGI (only rendered in standard def) in DS9 and VOYAGER makes releasing those series on Blu-Ray unlikely (as they'd need to redo every CG scene from the ground up) unless TNG sells very well indeed. ENTERPRISE was made recently enough that it's not as much of an issue.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 19:33:51 BDT
J. Martin says:
The release of DS9 and Voyger is certainly not unlikely, because CBS have officially said that if TNG does well they will very likely do those two shows as well.

So I wouldn't be so down about it, this could be the start of big long project for CBS.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 19:41:26 BDT
I can't wait. The restoration is FANTASTIC and they have put a hell of a lot of work into it. well worth £50 and I'll be getting the other 6 seasons on day 1. I can't wait to see DS9 and Voyager on blu ray

Posted on 26 Jul 2012 19:49:25 BDT
Bester1976 says:
CBS confirmed at SDCC last week that DS9 is definitely on their radar for a restoration effort.

Mike Okuda has also said that they wouldn't have too many problems with the early seasons, that the later seasons would take more effort, but would be do-able, and that DS9-R ultimately, will likely depend on how well the TNG sets do. Given that TNG is the most popular moden Trek by far, I cant see that being a problem.

AFAIK, no one's mentioned VOY-R yet.

Posted on 5 Feb 2013 00:41:01 GMT
L. Parsons says:
50 pounds for an almost perfect remaster from SD to HD from original film stock and new fx? Think you have to be someone who likes Trek to begin with to be even considering it. This is not some copying of the DVDs to Blu-ray for convenience sake.. this is going back to the original film stock and editing it all together again, editing all the audio and mixing it to 7.1 surround and so on.. this is brand new product moreso than the DVDs were, which were just transfers from the video cassette storage.

Rating this "product" based on the poor content of season 1 (and to a lesser extent season 2) doesn't make any sense either. Any TNG fan will tell you the first couple of seasons were the downpoint of the series.. but that doesn't make the product itself any less valuable.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  2 May 2012
Latest post:  28 Sep 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about