Other Sellers on Amazon
+ £5.99 UK delivery
WD 500GB Portable SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Blue
- Massive capacity
- Reliable and rugged
- Fast and efficient
- Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
With available SATA or EIDE interfaces, WD Scorpio Blue drives offer high-performance, low power consumption, and cool operation, perfect for notebooks and other portable devices. Pick the drive that suits your needs with the confidence in knowing that all WD Scorpio Blue drives are built to the highest standards of quality and reliability.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Now have loads of space and a faster laptop! Seems to slightly drain on the battery more than before as another poster mentioned, but similarly I've found that's true for doing stuff like sorting photos and web browsing but actually watching video seems to be the same if not slower. So a small trade up but totally one worth taking in my opinion.
NOW THE FOLLOWING IS WHAT I HAD TO DO TO GET IT TO FORMAT AND WORK FOR MY SLIMLINE PS3
You'll need a USB data stick/Pen drive with 200mb or more and it to be formatted doesn't matter what file format FAT32 or NTFS once its formatted you need to then go into the drive via your PC/Laptop and create one folder in CAP letters called PS3, then go into that folder and create another folder again in CAPS called UPDATE. You need to search through Google or whatever and find PS3 UPDATE and download the latest firmware from the official UK site. Unfortunately I cannot give you the address as Amazon forbid it so I can only give you what you need to search for when you have found the update site and downloaded the file called PS3UPDAT.PUP copy it to the USB stick inside the folder UPDATE this is in case the PS3 doesn't recognize the hard drive at first and you need to the firmware data to format the drive its a little crazy but its what it asked me to do and how Sony have created the software.
AT THIS POINT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP ALL YOUR GAME SAVES AS THEY ARE ON THE OLD DRIVE YOU CAN COPY MOST IF NOT ALL YOUR GAME SAVES TO A USB STICK YOU CAN EVEN COPY THEM TO THE ONE YOUR USING OR IF YOU HAVE PS+ COPY THEM ALL TO THAT IT EVEN COPIES PROTECTED GAMES SAVES.Read more ›
This item represents excellent value for money, the hard drive has worked faultlessly since installation.
I would have no qualms what so ever recommending the product and especially the company who supplied it.
Ideal as a replacement drive and the price is quite reasonable.
However on testing the Hitachi 7K1000 2.5" 7200rpm drive edges it out for pure speed (this ia a 5400rpm drive) The Hitachi has a bigger 32mb buffer and faster spindle speed yet still very quiet. I've no complaints with the WD500 though it's very decent and satisfactory for both laptops and quieter desktop pc's.
I would however steer folks towards the 7K1000 if it's their main boot drive and they want improved performance. The Western Digital is no slouch though and very respectable in it's own right. I've not yet tried the latest model so can't really say if there are any enhancements on that side of things. As it is a decent drive that's well worth looking at.
Will update the review should any notable issues/concerns arise so far so good though (I'm running a number of these and have done for a while)
The hard drive came first thing this morning with no damage to the box or the HDD, the HDD was secured correctly and couldn't move around at all.
With this being my first purchase from Amazon I'm glad I decided to join this service.
Thank you Western Digital & Amazon
Swopped it in no problem in no time to be honest. Now I'm no techy and looked at masses of advice on internet on how to do this, some scary with firmware updates etc etc and others easier to follow. What did I do......Well it does seem thats it an easier process for the old original ps3's (called PHAT ones) than the current crop of slimline ones. This is what I did (and it worked with no hitches):
1. Made sure latest firmware (version) was on ps3
2. Made sure I had synced all my trophies
3. Inserted a USB stick (32GB Cruzer) and used the backup facility in setting to transfer all game data onto USB (it took 2 hrs! - so its a slow process for a full backup). You can do specific games using copy facility under each game info if you want instead.
4. You don't have to backup, but you will lose all your game saves (but NOT trophies as these are on your PSN account, or your passwords and network connections - so dont worry)
5. Switched it all off and removed old HDD from side of machine (on left). Just WATCH those screws - they easy to round a head so do it carefully. You will have 5 screws to undo (blue and 4 for case that holds HDD).
6. Popped new HDD in, re did all screws back etc and plugged machine in and turned on.
7. Basically the machine did the rest!
8. Go back into setting and backup and click restore with the USB inserted to restore your game saves.
9. To clarify - I did NOT need to worry about reinstalling the latest firmware (which you have to do on the slim and slimline versions)
Thats it - re synced trophies and away I went!Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Works great been used every day for nearly two years never failed once great productPublished 1 month ago by N
Bought this Hard drive to replace a dead HDD on a laptop. Works really well, decent speeds and access time.
It still works fine with 0 bad sectors after 2 years of use.