Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Oct 2012 16:53:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Nov 2012 13:57:36 GMT
Bruce says:
So after waiting so long for the 3D version, it turned up today!
Put it in my 3D Blu Ray player though and it won't play it - unknown disc!

How frustrating is that- same for Prometheus!

But I can play Avengers Assemble and all my other 3D Blu Rays no problem! Anybody else had this?

Posted on 15 Oct 2012 17:29:40 BDT
Ian McDonald says:
It's probably a problem with your player, or you've been extremely unlucky and gotten two faulty discs. Prometheus in 3D works great for me, although I haven't bought Avatar in 3D yet.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2012 17:49:09 BDT
Bruce says:
But how can the player be faulty if it plays all other discs perfectly - as I said, I can watch Avengers Assemble in 3D Blu Ray - no problem!?

I have seen other people reviewing the discs mention this - but get shouted down. I feel I can't buy another Blu Ray from Amazon until this is sorted out - returns are such a huge hassle!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2012 21:12:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Oct 2012 21:30:02 BDT
Moose says:
Have you tried upgrading your BD player firmware?
I used to get that same error with some of my BD/DVD's, until I upgraded the firmware.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2012 08:54:26 BDT
Bruce says:
Yes - I have connected an ethernet cable and updated my firmware. I tried it after Prometheus wouldn't play - connected, but said there were no updates necessary - I have done it before in the the past.

Made no difference.

Posted on 16 Oct 2012 09:43:39 BDT
N. Mcclure says:
lucky you got your disk, mines was meant to arrive yesterday, it didn't and then this morning i get an email saying it was undelivered and returned to them.

Very Convenient and very quick also !!! . Since when does royal mail not keep your mail.

Very bad and disappointed and did they offer anything for the hassle inconvenience. NOPE

fell so let down now. was it even sent as yesterday they said it was delayed in transit but couldn't track it.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2012 10:12:08 BDT
Bruce says:
Maybe it was a batch of bad discs that has now been withdrawn?

You're lucky you didn't get it - I now have the additional hassle of going to the Post Office and queuing up to return it - and I still don't have a 3D version of Avatar! :-(

Posted on 16 Oct 2012 15:18:24 BDT
GJS says:
If you have a panasonic 3D player you need a sd card to give it more memory. Because I think the 2D and 3D are on the same disc I had the same problem.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2012 15:27:34 BDT
Bruce says:
I have a Phillips 3D Blu Ray Player and in the package I got yesterday the 3D version of Avatar was on its own disc - with the 2D on another disc!

Posted on 14 Nov 2012 13:38:37 GMT
SuzieQ says:
I bought a Finlux 3D tv(SKy 3D is amazing on it), same time a Samsung blu ray 3D player and Avatar 3D with the lenticular artwork etc. "Your blu ray player does not detect a 3D display" every time I tried to play disc. Contacted Samsung and Finlux, a week after buying these Finlux (amazing customer service) exchanged tv. Samsung "repaired" player then Amazon said they would refund me (still waiting). Accidentall sent player back with Avatar inside it (cost £19.95 Amazon could not guarantee to return disc so "goodwill gesture" of £10. Bought another disc and another, this time Phillips, player (recommended by Finlux the one they use), set it up this morning and same darn message !!! I now have enough cash left to buy a bottle of vodka to try and drown out all this lol Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Posted on 14 Nov 2012 13:46:23 GMT
Bruce says:
I had a similar experience - so I contacted Phillips and went through loads of stuff with their helpdesk and they couldn't fix the problem but said they would email back within a week. Guess what - no email after 2 or 3 weeks now! :-(

I ended up buying a new Blu Ray player from Panasonic and it plays the Avatar disc in beautiful 3D - no problem!

Posted on 14 Nov 2012 14:00:11 GMT
Bruce says:
As a further aside - I noticed that when I finally got it working on my new player, the 3D version of Avatar tries to do something with "BD Live"...?

Maybe this is what is causing Philips and Finlux players to reject these discs?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2012 11:56:51 GMT
SuzieQ says:
Well after reading a lot of negative things re: Avatar 3D, not playing etc, I bought another disc, Coraline and has same message, put differently but meaning the same !! Phillips said they would repair player - but not going through another repair as I don't think this is the problem. Was tempted to buy another HDMI cable, from Finlux, in case the other 3 were defective, but frankly have genuinely run out of cash. Do I contact Trading Standards !! could be any of the items at fault. Actually I did get the original Avatar to play without any error messages, but was side by side, more or less colourless and very blurred. Will look up BD Live, who knows lol

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2012 13:37:59 GMT
Bruce says:
I think Philips have got a problem and no answer to it.

I'm glad I swapped over to Panasonic - no problems there.

Posted on 20 Nov 2012 09:32:47 GMT
Cartimand says:
Avoid Philips and buy Sony; I've got two different Sony 3D BD players and they always work flawlessly.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2012 09:42:41 GMT
Bruce says:
It does seem that Philips has a problem - but they really need to do something about it (publish a fix) or recall all their Blu Ray players!

I suspect it would cost them too much though...?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2012 13:58:04 GMT
S. A. Bastow says:
Make sure you put tonic in the vodca.I have a samsung smart tv,a samsung smart 3d dvd player,and everything works great.Maybe it`s best to keep like with like,but who knows.Happy drinking.

Posted on 18 Jan 2013 17:42:57 GMT
Although we have the 2d version we couldnt wait for the 3d to be finally released so paid a little more and bought a used good as new disk that a previous owner had been supplied with their panasonic.
We use a samsung 3d tv and an LG HX model 3d Blu ray player home cinema. No problems with LG and they are very reasonably priced.
Was the 3d version and the equipment worth it? Absolutely, it was a fantasic 3d version of what we found as a great 2d fim and worth every penny of the £35 we paid for the disk.

Posted on 18 Jan 2013 17:44:11 GMT
I. williams says:
panasonic players are the best..........sony a close second ........

Posted on 29 Jan 2013 21:25:38 GMT
S. Lynch says:
Ive had no problem using sony Ps3 which also does lots of other things like using Love film Netflix BBc iplayer etc , well worth the extra cash . Simple to set up and plays every disc ive bought ,10 in the last 2 weeks . Mostly the titles amazon have got all toptitles people are talking about

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2013 13:02:28 GMT
Bruce says:
I too have a PS3 and I know it does play all discs - but it doesn't have the highest possible resolution of 1080p full HD. So you are missing out on the best picture.

Posted on 23 Feb 2013 14:36:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Feb 2013 14:38:00 GMT
Vialli says:
I have LG TV and Blu-ray player, fingers crossed not had a problem with any discs.
Avatar 3D is the best film by far (in 3D) so far.
Your players firmware is probably not upto the standard needed to play certain discs, it's the manufacturer of the Blu-ray player that is at fault in my opinion.
Who the hell is Finlux?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2013 18:24:03 GMT
Bruce says:
Who are you talking to?

Posted on 17 Apr 2013 13:14:42 BDT
Pandatank says:
Well, I have the same problem with my PS3. I understand PS3 BD3D is only V1.3 compliant not full 1.4. There's some kind of handshaking protocol that's not being complied with. So Avatar won't play the 3D signal. The irony is, that while the message is telling me my "BD does not detect a 3D display", the image is in 3D and I can see it perfectly well. I have about 6 movies in 3D which do play. Some of them show that error message or the warning that you need a 3DTV to watch 3D, but they play the film anyway. Hugo does that. Underworld: Awakenings plays with no messages at all. 3D Games are no problem at all except that you have to manually synch the projector to the signal.

Posted on 12 Oct 2013 20:13:34 BDT
going to buy avatar in the two for £25 deal which other is best to get? thinking of prom. or journey 2? ks getting lg 3d player will avatar be ok on it?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  15 Oct 2012
Latest post:  12 Oct 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Avatar with Limited Edition Lenticular Artwork (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD) [Region Free]
Avatar with Limited Edition Lenticular Artwork (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD) [Region Free] by Sam Worthington (Blu-ray - 2012)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (1,610)