on 27 February 2007
I have been using one of these for nearly two years now and it is an absolute saviour. I suffer from tendonitis in the back of my hand and also in my index finger. Both were being caused by using a regular mouse for extended periods.

This mouse has solved both issues. It is excellent and well worth the price. The only improvement would be if they could make it wireless, but that is a very small complaint indeed.
Traditional mice weren't really designed for people. They came about as a result of technology research at Xerox's Palo Alto research labs, and became widely adopted for PC and Apple computers without any great thought being given to what long-term damage they could be doing to their users. The "hand-twisted-back" posture the traditional mouse forces users to adopt can damage the carpal muscle through continual compression, and this causes pain (sometimes thought of as a form of RSI).

This 3M mouse allows the user to put their hand in a relaxed posture, on its side with the thumb resting over a rocker switch that acts as the left and right mouse buttons, and the two middle fingers over another button that is middle button. The instructions say it takes some getting used to; I was amazed by how easy it is. You are advised to adjust the mouse scroll speed so you hardly need to move the mouse. After about 20 minutes, I felt completely at home with this new mouse. It feels so natural, and it has already made a big difference to the pain I had begun to develop as a result of twenty years of using a Microsoft mouse. I wish I had been using one of these mice all along, so I hadn't developed the pain in the first place!

The one down-side is there's no wheel to scroll up and down, but middle-clicking in many programs puts you into an auto-scroll mode, which is actually an easier way to scroll.

It's a USB optical mouse, with a PS/2 adapter if you need it. You are advised to get the version that your hand best fits into, but there's no guidance - it would be nice to be able to try them both out before choosing. I bought the large version, and it's probably just a smidgeon larger than I would ideally like (I'm a slightly taller than average male). I have had the opportunity to try the small/medium size, and it definitely feels too small for me. It's right-handed mouse, so only good if you use your right-hand for you mouse (I do, even though I'm left-handed).

It's not a cheap mouse - but my health is worth it!

A couple of notes about build quality:

The "joystick" handle of this mouse is held on to the base by four weak internal plastic clips. If you try putting the mouse in a laptop bag (as I did), there's a strong possibility that the handle will break off (and indeed mine did). Thankfully, there is a wide enough surface inside to use superglue to fix the handle back on, which is what I did, and the mouse is fully functional again.

There's also a crack between the moulded halves of the handle through which I sometimes see the red LED, which can be annoying. I don't think it would be difficult to block that crack if necessary.
on 14 December 2006
I bought this mouse because of all the reviews saying it helped alleviate wrist problems from rsi/carpal tunnel and it worked for me. I have frequent ache after long periods on the PC. My father suffers severley from carpel tunnel, confirmed by his doctor/hospital and it does not aggrivate it like a normal mouse does. Thank you 3M! Actually looks much cooler in real life than in the photo and will be a talking point for curious envious visitors who will feel like they are back in the stone ages with their wrist hurting mice. It take a little getting used to, and is very accurate, nice feel and high quality. It's not a joystick where you move the paddle, you move the whole unit which is like a mouse at the bottom. This is great for a gift to the person who has everything too. Excellent.
on 5 June 2007
At 5 months pregnant I developed carpal tunnel syndrome. It was so bad that my doctor offered to sign me off work for the duration of the pregnancy! Fortunately my work bought me an ergonomic keyboard and this fantastic mouse and so far I've been able to keep on working.

For anyone with CTS, RSI or similar then this mouse is a must. I'm taking it with me when I go on maternity leave!
on 17 August 2013
Firstly, this did stop the pain I was experiencing in my wrist and index finger! I work at a computer 9-5.30 and now use this all day.

It does take some getting used to. When I first started using it, I found it very hard to click where I wanted. I had to put the mouse sensitivity a lot lower than my previous mouse. After a few weeks use I would say I was almost as accurate as a regular mouse (though I imagine you would struggle to play a FPS game well).

I find the thumb buttons difficult to click and my thumb joint closest to my palm starts to ache after a while. What I found most annoying is that the easiest button to click (the large side button you can press with any finger) is assigned to middle click and 3M don't appear to offer any way to remap it to primary click. I got around this problem using a 3rd party free program called AutoHotKey, which allowed me to remap the large button to left click. If you're interested I used the following settings:
MButton::LButton
LButton::RButton
RButton:: MButton

With the large button mapped to primary click I love this mouse again! Before I remapped it I was considering buying an alternate ergonomic mouse. I think this mouse would be perfect if the large button was split and could be set to left and right click.

Summary
It fixed my wrist/index finger pain, but my thumb wasn't happy with it until I used a 3rd party app to remap the buttons.
on 6 January 2014
I accept the fact that this mouse keeps my hand and wrist in a more natural position, and will probably help avoid rsi. And the mouse seems well made and sturdy, and worked perfectly as soon as I plugged it in. But there are a couple of buts.....

1. The force to operate the mouse is transferred from my wrist to the shoulder; For a few days after I started using this new mouse I had an aching shoulder. I do sit at the computer about 8 hours a day, so I use the mouse a lot. After a week I guess my shoulder muscles got a bit stronger and no more aching. (I've had the mouse about 6 weeks at time of writing the review).

2. It is not as accurate or easy to be precise, as a normal mouse. I am trying to work out why, because the actual mouse technology is exactly the same. I reckon it is because with a normal mouse part of your hand rests on the mouse mat or cushion, so really it is just the fingers moving the mouse. With this Ergonomic mouse. my hand rests on the mouse and movement comes from the elbow really. It is much harder to be precise. Think of holding a small paintbrush out in front of you and trying to draw a small circle; difficult. Now rest your hand on something and try it; much easier to be accurate. It is possible I just haven't found the proper way to use or hold the mouse yet. But in order to be able to press the left/right mouse buttons on top of the stick, my hand HAS to well off the mouse mat.

3. My hand curls around the stick, and I grip the stick to move the mouse around.
There is a button on the front of the stick where my fingers rest. A very sensitive button. Even after a few weeks use I quite often click that button when moving the mouse. It has resulted in annoyance, but so far no disasters. Maybe I'm just trigger happy.

Summary. A bit overpriced and not as useful as I'd hoped. But it works OK and does keep the hand/wrist in a better position which should help RSI. I quite like the novelty of it, and it makes a change. But I don't think I'd recommend it to a friend.
on 23 January 2010
If you've got paintful fingers from clicking the mouse or typing, this is mouse for you. For these kind of compaints, trackballs will still cause you pain.

It looks strange and takes a bit of getting used to but really takes the strain off your fingers because you're clicking with your strong muscles in a natural posture. Instead of using your fingers, you click the button on the top of the joystick with your thumb. Down for the left click - this feels pretty natural. For the right click, click your thumb right. To scroll, you click or hold down the big button along the length of the joystick with all your fingers - it's a gripping motion.

The scroll motion feels a bit clumsy compared to a wheel mouse but it is an ergonomic movement. The 3M mouse works on Windows without any extra drivers. On a Mac OS X, the scroll button brings up the Dashboard but you can fix this by downloading USB Overdrive (a free utility) and set the "Middle button" to "Move to Scroll." 3M ought to provide the right drivers. It would also have been nice to be able to scroll horizontally as well as vertically.

Because you use your big muscles, you can't make as accurate movements as with a standard mouse or a trackball so artists may need to have an alternative mouse for fine work. For the rest of us, it's absolutely sufficient for general work (web surfing, spreadsheets, etc). Double clicking with your thumb is slower so may also need to slow down the double clicking speed.

To decide whether to buy the small or large size, have a look at the product brochure on 3M site. It tells you how to measure your palm. My palm is 3.5" wide and is exactly in between the two sizes. I bought the large but it feels a little chunky for my hand. So if you're on the borderline like me, you may like to try the smaller size: 3M Optical USB Ergonomic Mouse, Wired, 3 Buttons, Small / Medium

Worryingly, there's been a lot of comments about it breaking down after a year. I've had mine for two months so far and will report back if it breaks. Having said that, if your RSI is that painful, then it's probably worth it even if you need to buy a new one every year or so (as many reviewers have indicated) - you don't have much choice...
on 18 January 2011
Really comfortable and easy to use from the word go. The right click and scroll are easy too.
I was surprised that it was not like a joy stick - you move the whole mouse, not the stick. But that's ok.

I have also tried the vertical mouse and another one which is like a laptop flat mouse attached to a cable, and I like this 3M one the most or at least it seems the most practical.

It doesn't get 5 stars because I think all mouses/mice are wrong for the body and require us to put push our shoulders forwards instead of backwards. But still, if you've got wrist trouble from bending your hand upwards to use a normal mouse, you should find this a lot more comfortable. The hand can rest.
PS It's worth reading the brief instructions to get the position of the mouse and hand right before you start using it.
on 5 July 2012
I recently started suffering the first signs of tendonitis, with sharp pains along the back of my right hand, mostly along the line of my index finger.
No guesses as to the cause! My work involves high workload data entry and the countless, repetitive left-clicking on a standard mouse is now taking its toll.
I did my research and chose this 3M Ergonomic vertical mouse (Large) as my primary controller.
So far, I am very happy with this 3M product
Although it looks like a joystick, the hand grip is fixed and does not move. You operate this by moving the whole thing around as you would a normal mouse, but with the advantage of the more comfortable hand posture.
Using this vertical mouse became very intuitive to me after only a very short period of getting used to it (about 10 minutes in my case!)
The 3M Ergonomic vertical mouse gives a very natural hand posture while holding it and I found the left/right-click rocker switch to be light and comfortable to use with my thumb.
There is a third switch positioned beneath your middle fingers, which in all Microsoft programs provides a scolling control, by holding it in and moving the mouse around to slide the vertical scroll bar.
This scroll button does not work in some 3rd party programs though.
The optical mouse works well on most surfaces and I found the glide pads slip around particularly well on the desk surface, meaning even less strain!
It is accurate, quick and comfortable and the ideal alternative to a normal mouse if you find a trackball mouse too tricky to use accurately.
The model I use is the large size, which fits my average-sized male hand (87mm knuckle width) very well - but I doubt any bigger hand would fit the contours at all, so beware of this if you have big hands.
Note that this exact same model is also marketed under the 'Anir' brand - and prices vary for both brands, so shop around).
Further to this review, I would also like to make note of my own working setup with regard to my use of a second mouse controller with my left hand. If you suffer from aching tendons, then even when using this lovely vertical mouse you may still want to vary the way you do your clicking and scrolling.
So, take advantage of the ability of all modern PCs which can operate two mouse controllers at once.
What I use for my left hand is a Kensington Orbit Trackball with scroll ring. This gives me the flexibility of using its scroll ring (which is much more universally compatible than the 3M's third button), plus it allows me to use the trackball's left/right-click buttons instead of using my thumb on the 3M stick. In this way, If I want a change of hand position, I can even slide the 3M vertical mouse around by its base and do the clicks with my left hand on the other controller.
Anyway, this works very well for me, so I thought I'd share it.
on 10 October 2011
The 3M Ergonomic Optical Mouse (Wired) is a neat vertical mouse replacement and will suit a lot of people that fall within the size guide on the 3M website. I am one of those that does not my hands are bigger than that recommended, 115mm-120mm across the palm, I suspect I also have longer fingers than the product was designed for as well, so my hand ends up being squashed down onto my little (pinky) finger causing pins and needles in the hand/finger after about 2 hours constant use.

Do not get me wrong it is a well thought out design, I had no problem getting used to the thumb (left/right) mouse button and having my hand vertical rather than twisted flat like a conventional mouse does help the pain in my wrists and shoulders to stay away for much longer also because of the thumb mouse buttons, my index/middle fingers are not curled up trying to press the buttons and/or scroll wheel on a conventional mouse.

Another problem that I found was if I use the 3M mouse with a mouse mat with a gel wrist rest I ended up twisting the mouse rather than sliding it about, i.e. leaving wrist in position and then bending the hand to move left and right, not good.

The 3rd mouse button, scroll wheel function !!! does not work in a lot of programs or even within certain windows dialogue boxes, making it pretty useless. I doi not think this is a problem of the mouse rather than no dedicated driver/software for it and relying on the default mouse software built into Windows.

Also I had to turn up the mouse speed to full to get it move at a rate I would like, but then all my mice/roller balls ran at that speed which was too fast. Again a fault becuase of the lack of dedicated drivers/software.

If those problems could be ironed out it would be a brilliant mouse.

Due to my hand size I have trouble with 90% of mice/rollerballs and this is no exception.